What kinds of treats will you give out for Halloween?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Oct 4, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you get very many trick-or-treaters at your house for Halloween? We usually don't in this area. There is a "trick or trunk" set up where one of the businesses or a church allows people to use their parking lots, and kids can visit each car. I haven't decided what I'll do for treats yet, so I'd love to hear some ideas.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I typically just buy a bag of snickers and a bag of Hershey's and call it good. Everyone should be OK that way as I have peanuts for those that like it and nut free for those who don't or have an allergy. I have had so few trick or treating kids in all the places I have lived here. I don't understand why, but for some reason they don't seem to go to the apartment complexes. You'd think they would see the golden opportunity to hit up a lot of doors really fast, but they don't do it. In the past I have taped Bible verses to the candy, hoping to reach out to the kids who aren't at the church functions. I may do that again this year, just in case we get a few.

3. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    My neighborhood hasn't had any trick-or-treaters for the last 3 years I think, and prior to that it might've only been a couple per year. People are afraid of having their kids walking around after dark these days; it seems to be a sad commentary on the development of our culture. In my city, certain locations and organizations have these more "secure" trick-or-treat functions, and most people bring their kids to those.

But yea, I just grab cheap a bag of whatever at the grocery store just in case, and then usually throw it away afterwards. No need to waste my daily sugar allowance on that cornsyrup crap. It would be fun to do or make something, well, fun for the kids (a big apple covered in caramel or chocolate comes to mind), but there's no point if none are going to come.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I love that "trick or trunk" idea. I think that's a great safe way for kids to go out on Halloween. I live in an apartment building and we get very few kids. I tend to make small bags for the kids. In each bag I include one piece of chocolate candy, one piece of non chocolate candy, a sheet of stickers and a little toy or something. I like to use Halloween theme bags and seal it with some type of Halloween sticker. I got this idea from my Mom who has been making these little bags for years.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's really nice, Forex. Word will spread. Your place will be swamped with little ghosts and goblins when they hear about the nice goodies. ;) Well, that's how it worked when I was a kid anyway. "Best treats, second door on the right in the first apartment building!" All the kids would flock to the house and then spread the word.

6. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I've lived in my new apartment less than a year so I don't know how this area will be on Halloween, but I have a feeling it's not going to be kid friendly. I live near a dangerous neighborhood. I think most parents are taking their kids to the mall or specific events instead, it's a lot safer than the street. For the last few years all the apartments I've lived in have been on the second floor and there's no way someone can access my door from the street so I don't give out candy.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know of any human who has thought of this, haven't done it for a long time, or I'm being a presumptuous moron, but this year, I'm going to give away small packets of sugar! Why go through the trouble of hiding what kids want, when one can give them the direct source of their wishes, which is refined sugar. Of course, I'll provide a trick, and it shall be a page printout of recipes kids can magically make with the sugar I've provided! Honestly, my opinion is that kids these days are over privileged and need a good lesson in being more independently creative in their ways to obtain things, because sometimes what is deemed as a benefit, can result into a problem.