What kitchen item/tool could you not do without?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kinser • Apr 17, 2012.

1. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that the appliance in the kitchen that we use the most is the coffee pot. We use it twice a day, at the very least. I guess I just told on myself. We're big coffee drinkers around here!

I'd really miss my crock pot too. I love to cook a roast once a week and during the summer I hate to do it in the oven.

2. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely my knife. A good knife is important to the kitchen. I can make anything else work well enough to get the desire results out of it...but the knife is key. Plus having an old dull knife causes more damage if you were to cut yourself than a nice sharp blade would.

3. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    My husband is the same way - he cannot do without his coffee. He refuses to get a fancy machine (I got him one as a gift years ago and he hated it), he just uses the old 14.99 machine with no bells and whistles. But he can't do without - I've gotten into a major fix a few times by accidentally breaking the glass pot, LOL. I think he'd choose coffee over food as well.

4. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I think I'd have to go with my microwave on this one. It gets used on a daily basis for reheating coffee, leftovers, water for tea, etc. I know I could do without it, but I'd really rather not try to.

My other thing that came to mind was my pineapple corer. I could go back to just cutting up the whole pineapple by myself, but it is SO much easier with the corer and it doesn't waste as much pineapple. It's also much faster. We eat a lot of fresh pineapple, so it saves me a lot of work!

5. FlorenceNightingale

FlorenceNightingaleNew Member

Threads:
    My stock pot. I'm a college student, and in a sorority, so there are always hungry people at our house wanting to be fed. 5 of us live in the house, and we all have a significant other, so we have family meals and they are always huge. I can't tell you how often I make soup, or gumbo, or chili, etc etc in this pot, and it's always big enough to feed everyone, and nothing ever sticks to it because its lined really well. I've had it for years, and it still looks brand new! I warn everyone else not to scratch it lol, because we use it almost every night. I've even learned to make pasta slow cook meat in it if I have large quantities! Could. Not. Live. Without it!

6. wodrock

wodrockNew Member

Threads:
    For me, it is definitely the sandwich grill. Love making grilled sandwiches with different variety of vegetables/meats.

7. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you! The sandwich grill is a superb kitchen tool, I love making several kinds of sandwiches with it. Do you make sandwiches with vegetables and meat? I think I will try them someday..

8. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I could not live without my can opener. As simple as a can opener is, not having one really prevents you from eating canned foods. I guess if you never eat canned food, then not having a can opener isn't a problem.

9. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I know I said my cast iron skillet in an earlier post, but I have to add my french press coffee maker. It gets used twice a day, every single day, and once in a while, 3 times a day. It's a Bodum and has lasted for years and makes perfect coffee. I take it camping too - it's nice and portable and all you need is a teakettle to boil the water to put in it. So, come to think of it, the 3 things that get used on a daily basis in my kitchen that I couldn't possibly live without: cast iron skillet, french press coffee maker and teakettle. Of course, I'm cheating at this game, but I can't pick just one! :rolleyes:

10. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I suck at peeling vegetables with a regular knife, so I really can't do without our peeler here at home. Otherwise, I'd make one big mess of the kitchen!

11. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    It happens the same thing to me!! Exactly the same!
    I'm really bad at peeling all kinds of vegetables and fruits.
    I always use my peeler, even with fruits! It's such a simple device, but it's really useful.

12. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Knife for it's versatility.You can cut, chop, peel, core and scrape with a knife. You can prise open cans and jars with it, you can stab holes with it, you can test a cake with it, you can check your vegetables are cooked, you can clean ground on or burnt residue, you can stir with it, you can spread with it, you can even use it like a screwdriver, you can carve with it, you can scratch with it.

13. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    My good old cast iron skillet. You can fry in it, 'griddle" in it, bake in it, etc. It is very versatile and forgiving even if you don't take care of it. I've baked cornbread, fried chicken, grilled sandwiches, griddled pancakes (if that is a word!), etc. I also love my silicon spatula/scraper. It is very good for getting out that last little bit of batter from a bowl, or mayo from a jar.

14. christina_5179

christina_5179New Member

Threads:
    It would have to be a tie between my crockpot and my chopper. I use them a lot and they've gotten me out of several binds. The crockpot has to be the greatest cooking invention ever but the chopper keeps me from crying while I cut onions. I'm torn between the two and have to say both. As long as I have those two, I can cook anything sort of! ;)

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That used to be me as well, until I learned that most of the nutrients in most fruits and vegetables are directly under the skin, so now I don't peel anymore.

16. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    There's no possible way I could live without a bottle opener. I drink bottled beer and bottled soft drinks like J20 all the time, without a bottle opener I wouldn't be able to open them! :(

17. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    It would be my knife and wife.Is that counted? I am stupid when it comes to cooking, so my wife is essential to the cooking part the knife is there for me, I do help out on the cutting part of cooking.

18. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    My wok. I don't think I'd survive too long in the kitchen without my wok. I'm not the greatest cook in the world. But because of the way a wok cooks food, it makes even a mundane cook like myself seem better.

19. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I could do without it, but I'd rather not do without my food scale. It makes things very easy when I'm trying to watch what I'm eating. Just put the bowl on top of the scale and keep measuring everything out with a simple touch of a button. I know some people hate being that specific with their food, but usually when the food is cooking, I can quickly input what I want and it's no extra effort.

20. brittanytruskosky

brittanytruskoskyMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't be able to live without my coffee pot. It helps me wake up in the morning. Other than that it would have to be my Crockpot too. I love that. It's a tasty and easy way to make some delicious meals. I don't know this was a tough question because I think I couldn't live without most of the items in my kitchen. Maybe if I had been born in a different time.