What kitchen item/tool could you not do without?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kinser • Apr 17, 2012.

1. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    Blender, I guess. I use it so often that it'd be hard to live without it. But I will also miss my microwave - it's comfortable to be able to heat something or even cook faster and without waitin for water to boil for example. It takes only a few seconds sometimes and I am not a patient person so it's a heaven device for me;)

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    A really good knife. I hate using dull knives so it's imperative to have something that can actually cut efficiently.

Beyond that, my KitchenAid mixer. Yes, I lived without it before and did just fine, but at this point, I can't imagine going back to not having it. I use it for way too many things, especially with all the attachments.

3. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I could not live without my oven mitts. That is for very obvious reasons. Besides that, I really can't live without knives and what not.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it would have to be the knife, because I use it for cutting cheese and other stuff everyday.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely my coffee maker. I'm a caffeine addict and a coffee aficionado. If I didn't have my coffeemaker, I would have to make freaking cowboy coffee on an open fire, or you know, just hook up a coffee IV.

I also use my frying pan at least once a day.

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    For me it would be my knife.. I chop so much vegetables each day that it is impossible to not have a strong sharp knife in my kitchen. The next would of course be my blender as it provides me my healthy smoothies which keep me going on and on :)

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't get by without my cast iron skillet. It was my grandmother's. She really took great care of it. I love it.

My second favorite item is my set of knives. Like Jessi, working with dull knives just takes the joy out of cooking.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a tie between my electric pressure cooker and my electric food steamer.

I love to make stuff like home fries, but really don't feel like waiting for the water to come to a boil to parboil them. The electric food steamer starts steaming food in less than 15 seconds, which is a huge time saver. It also makes rice perfectly without any scorching and without it becoming too gummy from stirring it. Hard boiled eggs come out perfect in it too without bumping into each other and cracking. You can also cook delicate pieces of fish in it too.

I love my electric pressure cooker mainly for making stocks, but it's also much faster than using a slow cooker - giving you the same results in a fraction of the time.

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from my Wok which I use to cook almost any main dish my kids will not survive without our omelette pan. Each of them tells me what they want in their omelette and I make them to order:eek:

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't live without my kitchen knife set. I prepare the majority of the food I consume from scratch and a decent sharp knife is essential for preparing your own meals. Everyone should invest in a decent knife set.

11. rebeccalj278

rebeccalj278New Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that I wouldn't be able to be without my coffee maker. I love coffee. I will drink it two - three times a day.

12. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Probably what the majority of people say, knives. I have many different knives for different kinds of foods, so they are crucial when I'm making my own food.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed, I said coffee maker too. I can't even function normally without caffeine. I can do without a microwave or a blender, but I have to have a coffee maker.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    if I had to pick an item in the kitchen that I could not do without then it would be my microwave, it is something that I can cook a lot of stuff on.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't do without my knife and my wooden chopping board as preparing food would be very difficult without it. I prepare my own meals, I cook everything I eat and that involves a lot of chopping. Meat, vegetables, garlic, herbs etc all need to be chopped. I love my wooden chopping board, I have had it for years now.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    If not excellent knives, definitely my slow cooker. We have a really busy schedule and it's *so* nice to just drop something in when we're heading out the door and have a meal nearly ready when we get home...ditto for having something cooking overnight for the next morning :).

17. mamacathie

mamacathieNew Member

Threads:
    I use my crockpot so much but I use my microwave so much more. I really don't know how I would function without the microwave. It saves so much time when warming things up but I have always said we needed another appliance that helped cool down the food after I get it too hot in the microwave. I do love my microwave but my crockpot and coffeemaker both run a close second.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my blender all the time, and I don't know what I would do if I didn't have it. It is an old Oster that I have had for a long time, and I have an attachment that fits on it and is a small food processor. I use that as much as the blender part, maybe more.
    I make smoothies, and mix up all kinds of liquids with the blender, and with the food processor, I can grind up things like wheat, and I also chop up cabbage and carrots for coleslaw and salads. I chop peppers and tomatoes for salsa, and it seems like there is always something thr I need either chopped or blended .

19. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Knife.
    There is a lot of things that i could go without, but i think this one is a must when doing even the simplest things.

20. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm reading through what everyone else has said here, and I have to say that I agree with most of the above. It is hard for me to narrow this down to just one thing. I guess if pressed though, I would have to say my blender, because I like to make smoothies. Without my blender, making smoothies would be a lost cause.

But I also really like my crock pot slowcooker. I love being able to put a few ingredients into it, turn it on, leave it alone, and in a few hours a whole meal is done. Love that.