What kitchen item/tool could you not do without?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kinser • Apr 17, 2012.

1. Buck

BuckNew Member

Threads:
    That's definitely my sandwichmaker. Love him dearly!

2. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Mmm sandwich maker is a must too for me, but I think I could not do without my kitchen ladle. I have two small kids and we eat soup daily so I really can't imagine how I would do it if it wasn't for my kitchen ladle. So simple yet so necessary! :D

3. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    I didn't realize this until recently, but WOODEN SPOONS. I love them and I love cooking with them. Always have. Didn't have one in my new place for a few months until recently and boy, did I miss them! :)

4. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    I entirely agree. I use my crockpot at least twice a week.
    I, too, appreciate the no-mess factor. The crockpot liners they have now are wonderful and the cleanup is nil. I recently ran out so I just used cooking spray around the edges where food is likely to burn. It worked so well, I haven't bought a liner since. Why am I so late learning that? In the past, I had to soak, etc.
    What's the best thing you make in your crock pot? I make Joe's Famous Brats. We brown brats. Throw them in the crockpot and cover them up with your favorite spaghetti sauce. Let them simmer all day. They get to the consistency of a meatball sandwich and are so delish esp if you top them with parmesan cheese on the bun. Try these; you will never eat another brat! (My husband's recipe)

5. spikerfreelancer

spikerfreelancerNew Member

Threads:
    Wow, I'm surprised that no one has made a comment about not being able to live without the refrigerator! But in all seriousness it's a tie between my toaster oven, my rice maker(with steamer tray), and my sandwich maker. I do know that over the last several months they did pay for themselves time and again in the money they saved me on my power bill, however that's not the reason I bought them. Convenience! That's what its about. Between cutting down on the prep time and how easy they are to clean I absolutely love them.

6. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, this is a really difficult choice for me. I would have to make it a tie between my bread machine, my Vitamix, and my tawa. The bread machine saves me time with having to make bread. I just put the ingredients in and it does the rest. This way, I can move on to whatever else I need to do. My Vitamix because it can do practically anything and can even make hot soup in less than 2 minutes. My tawa because it's essential to making roti and I also use it to make pancakes, torillas, and pita bread.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd have to say the crock pot and the can opener. I use my crock pot regularly so that I only have to cook dinner once a week basically, and it is a wonderful thing. I also could not do without a can opener. I eat canned foods like olives and pineapple juice pretty regularly too. Plus it's a must have to emergency food supplies as a fair amount of that is canned.

8. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I love my kitchen scale and my sandwich maker. I constantly have trouble judging the amount of food I eat, so having a kitchen scale helps me count calories more effectively and figure out how much I'm eating. The sandwich maker is also great because it turns a normal meal into total deliciousness with barely any extra effort. The crunch, the gooey cheese, and now I'm just making myself hungry. Now that I hear you guys mentioning it, I'm thinking of also investing in a crockpot!

9. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I do not see myself being able to live without the stove or even my can opener. lol. Those are essential to me.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A nice sharp knife in the kitchen is my favorite tool for the kitchen. The crock pot would be the second tool, I like to make soup and cook dried beans in the crockpot, just plug it in and let it go.

11. Murakami84

Murakami84New Member

Threads:
    Spiralizer! It makes eating vegetables a lot more easier. It also comes in handy if you are into the keto diet.

I use this

12. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Ooooh a nice sharp knife! Some things you don't realize how important they are before you are without one and are cursing at onions and tomatoes that get cut all wrong, pressing out all the juices and all.

I also miss having a good spatula, the kind that can clean out a bowl perfectly.

My essentials: a microwave (I love to have leftovers to eat), a rice cooker (Chinese rice at every meal? Yes please) and a mortar to crush garlic with herbs, to crush chilies or whatever else needs to be crushed.

13. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    I need my magic bullet! I use it for smoothies every morning before I go to work. I've been thinking about trading up for one of those Fruit Ninja's but I've had this bullet for so long I would hate to part company with it until it dies.

I have had a great experience with the bullet and literally use it everyday. If I lost it, not sure how I would grab my breakfast in the morning!

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need a huge silicone spoon for everything from mixing cake batter to soup and I need a sharp knife. I also love my griddle for making pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches.

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if it comes right down to it, I suppose you can adjust to being without anything. There's always another way to do whatever needs doing; but of my favorite kitchen items I would have to say I like my scissors for cutting just about anything--seems faster and easier to me than a good knife, most times. My hand-held mixer gets a lot of use, too, as well as my electric skillet.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good question! I gave this some serious thought, since I don't cook a lot and just have the essentials in my kitchen. A couple years ago I'd say the item I could not live without was my microwave, but since mine broke and I didn't replace it I must say I don't find it all that essential anymore! I probably would say the one thing I would miss a lot if I didn't have it was my George Foreman grill. I guess that could be replaced by a grill from another brand if needed, but I have had this for maybe 7 years now and it's still going strong, so I would surely miss having it!

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Every kitchen needs a few essential items for survival: a good knife, a basic pot, a can/bottle opener. You can get by without quite a lot, but you need at least those three things to be able to prepare a wide range of foods. The pot should be large enough to be able to boil a few cups of water at once and have high enough sides to let you fry or stir fry in it, and the knife should be bgi enough for slicing and chopping.

18. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I usually love to make pancakes and sandwiches! With that being said, I wouldn't be able to do much without a skillet and a spatchula. I actually couldn't find my spatchula the other day and decide to use a spoon when making my pancakes. It definitely was not the same, not to mention it was WAY more difficult than it had to be.

19. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in love with my crockpot and my electric kettle. I use those more often than the stove top.

20. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am having a hard time deciding this, because there are so many things that I just use every day, and would not want to go without. I use scissors in the kitchen when possible, rather than a knife. I have a pair that are kind of like kitchen shears, and that is all that I use them for.
    Even though there are almost all of my basic kitchen gadgets that I use every day; I think the one that I would not want to have just up and die on me, is my coffeepot.
    I know it can be replaced with a different one; but the idea here is what would we not want to do without; so morning coffee is the main thing that comes to mind.
    Coffee is one of life's essentials.