What little things do you do to save money?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Nevermore • Oct 22, 2013.

1. Nevermore

NevermoreNew Member

Threads:
    There are a few discussions about plans to save money, but how about little everyday things you can do to get to the end of the month? I have a few suggestions:
    - Don't buy a product just because it's from a renowned brand. Many off-brand products have the same quality and aren't as expensive as their counterparts.
    - Put some of your change in a jar. After a while you'll have a jar full of coins!
    - If you want something, wait a few days to see if you still want to buy it. Say no to impulse buying!

2. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with all your money saving tips. I would like to add a few money savers to your list.
    1. Make your coffee at home. Take it in a reusable mug. If you stop at McDonalds or gas station and pay $1 for coffee each workday, you spend $5 a week. That's $20 a month. If you stop at Starbucks and spend $5 each workday, that's $25 a week or $100 a month!

2. Use your local library. Instead of paying money for DVD rentals, borrow them through your local library. It's free! This could save you $20 or more a month.

3. Budget your money. Stick to it. If you have extra money after your bills are paid on time, put it into savings. It won't hurt to save it for a rainy day.

3. Buckeye

BuckeyeNew Member

Threads:
    In order to save money, I tend to buy items that I will have to purchase again, in bundles or in the largest sides. There's usually cost savings in buyer the bigger bottle of something versus buying 2 or 3 small bottles. I also give the store brand a try. I find that 9/10 it's either the same, or only a little less good than the name brand.

To save on utility bills I don't have my television and other big energy items on but for a few hours each day. Using things as background noise or if you don't really need the extra heater on, it makes the bill higher.

4. makemoney22

makemoney22New Member

Threads:
    I would have to start out my reply with yes, I agree with putting your change in a jar is a very good approach. For us people that spend cash daily, your enabled to go home each day and empty your pocket full of change. By the end of the month I typically have around $150.00, which is a utility bill or something to put back in your savings.

Another key aspect is, living within your means, meaning don't buy it unless you can afford it. In turn that will allow you to be able to have extra money to put away in a savings account or CDs to gain interest every month.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I already do these things also I clip coupons when I see some I can use. And another good way to save is when something is on sale and it's some you use a lot I stock up on it that way that's one less thing I have to buy so much cause i'm stalked up for awhile.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to limit the dates that I go to. I limit the number of movies that I watch and the number of video games that I buy. I try to look away when there are new gadgets out on the market like the Galaxy Note 3. I also bring a small amount of cash so that I could avoid impulse buying.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I deprive myself from buying foods that I don't really need, like junk food and sweets, I say to myself that those stuff will only make me gain weight. I also refrain from watching movies in the theater, since going to the movies nowadays can be quite expensive.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I am so guilty of doing this that as I read it I had to get up and turn off my television. It's just a force of habit but you are 100% correct. There is no value having it on as background noise when I am already using something that can provide background noise: The computer. I have to be more diligent with that one.

9. xwolfiex13x

xwolfiex13xNew Member

Threads:
    I always buy items that are not name brand. I also shop at the dollar store. I make sure that I save a few dollars when I can. Even if it is just a few dollars, it adds up pretty quickly. I am a freshman in college and I don't have a job. Every penny counts when I need something extra. I do work for my dad in the yard and get small money. I have to buy my own gas. That being said, putting small amounts in savings every once in a while sums up quickly.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take my daughter out on picnics instead of going out to eat. It's cheaper to cook food at home and pack a picnic basket than it is to go to a nice restaurant with a view. Our local picnic area has a view and a better atmosphere than dining out. If we want to be fancy, we bring the good silverware and my daughter drinks Dr. Pepper out of a champagne flute.

Even though we're on a tight budget, it's important to still go out and live and have experiences and make memories.

11. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    Here are a few shopping tips:
    -Only shop once a week: This way you won't be tempted by marketing and impulse buys which may only seem like small purchases at the time, but will add up to a lot of money over time.
    -Buy things on sale: Buy things you know you will need in the future that are on sale now (make sure the item won't be gone off by the time you want to use it though!) but you know you will need or use in the future.
    -Buy in bulk: Some items are much cheaper when bought in bulk, compare prices and see if you are better off buying something that seems more expensive now but will actually save you money in the long term.

I think the best way to save money though is to think about what you actually want versus what you think you want. Your tip about waiting before purchasing is a good one - a great idea I heard is to take the price of the item and calculate in your head roughly how many hours you would have to work to pay off the cost - suddenly that impulse buy isn't worth the 3-4 hours of your life you'd use to pay for it!

12. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    The most effective way to save money little by little is to not eat out. Like seriously, you have no idea how much those little outings to the restaurant cost you over a long period of time. I only eat out for special occasions and almost always just cook at home. It's so much more cheaper despite the time demand.

13. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I am one person who can easily avoid impulse shopping. I guess this is why am able to stay on budget throughout the whole month. I have been able to set a budget and stick on it so far. I would say it is all about training yourself and it will be possible.

14. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I love the suggestions that have been posted so far! For me, I feel that one of the biggest ways to save money, is to shop for groceries in bulk versus relying on fast food to get me the nourishment I need. When you really think about it, fast food ends up costing you way more than you think by the end of the month and it is usually not very nourishing also. By going to the store at the beginning and middle of the moth, I find that overall I'm saving quite a lot. Also, I agree 100% with the idea of tucking change away in a jar. There's times where I'll realize how full my jar is, take it to a Coin Star, and realize: wow! I just had almost $30 worth of change!
    Cheers to savings!

15. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I save the extra coins I get and deposit them for cash if I can't use them for laundry. A long time ago, I used to shop at a store that accepted double coupons but these days, it's easier to buy in bulk and try store brands. It also helps to go grocery shopping when not hungry as a person is less likely to make an impulse purchase. :cool:

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of things to both save and earn money since I'm still just a university student, and I'm only depending on the monthly allowance from my parents. Here are some of the things that I do;

1. I save money on jars - By the start of the year, I prepare empty jars and some large milk cans. Now every time I arrive from school, I always empty my pockets and my coin purse, and I put my coins on their respective jars (each coin have its own jar). When the jars get full, I dump them on the large milk cans which I'll only empty by the end of the year. The money that I saved would be put on my savings fund, and my business fund.

2. I work at home - My mom let me do things at home and then she'll pay me for my services. She only pays me peanuts though I don't really care as long as I get paid for my effort.

3. I download movies - Instead of buying or renting movies, I download for free instead. This helps me save a lot since I'm a huge movie fan and my mom is really happy because we can pause the movie whenever we want. We can also download subtitles so that we can understand the movie better.

17. Kevin128672

Kevin128672Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go shopping for groceries, I try to go to foreign stores. They usually have fresher fruits and foods, and are always much cheaper than buying from a chain like Food Lion. I guess i'm pretty lucky that I live so close to one of these, because now I have been able to reach my goal of $10,000 for emergencies.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have specific brands I prefer when it comes to things like paper products, but I don't buy a lot of packaged foods so brands aren't as much of an issue. I just watch for what's on sale at the grocery and if I need clothing I hit the clearance rack. I grow a few edibles in my garden and I can make some of the things I need myself. I just don't buy what I don't need.

19. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with the philosophy about impulse buying. I found a dress on Amazon 2 weeks ago that really caught my eye but I decided not to buy it figuring that if I really wanted it, I would be thinking about it 2 weeks later. Sure enough...I'm buying it tonight! But these two weeks allowed me to pay anything else that was more important and to really decide where this dress was something I truly needed.

One of my biggest money saving tricks is to have several recipes on hand that I know I can make out of few ingredients. We do a bulk shopping trip at the beginning of the month with a few "fill in trips" in between. Obviously, towards the end we will start running low. Some of my best recipes have come from the bare bones in my pantry so I always try to remember those recipes when I need them. That saves us from having to take an uneccessary trip for a few groceries when we will just have to buy those same groceries again a week later.

I have also recently started doing a lot of online, at home work that brings in extra cash. Its a nice feeling to know that if something DOES pop up, we can cover it.

20. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    When I go to places with reward points, I always make sure to get them. I've saved so much money this way.
    I earn extra money online doing surveys and stuff like that.
    I buy in bulk and split the really big stuff with my friends or family.
    I try to shop infrequently. Less chances for me to be tempted by things I don't nee!