What low cost airlines have you traveled with?

Discussion in Travel started by JulianWilliams • Jan 14, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    What low cost airlines have you traveled with and which ones are the best?
    I've traveled with WizzAir and with RyanAir. They're both OK I guess, but the main problem for me is all the hidden fees they have for luggage for example. You really have to pay attention when reading their terms and conditions otherwise you might end up paying hundreds of dollars in penalties for having an overweight hand luggage.

2. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I've used AirAsia quite often when I traveled to Asia because they have better service than other low budget airlines that serve the same area. From my experience with them, I've never had any delayed flights, lost luggage, or bad customer service agents. Those three things are pretty much the common things I would expect to get if I try to travel to Asia with low budget airlines. Sometimes, with AirAsia, I can even find flights that have the lowest price among their fellow low budget airlines. I will still use their service in the future despite what happened.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've flown with Ryanair and Easyjet before and they have always been fine. You know what you are getting and it's a case of being prepared and not expecting too much. Their prices have made the other carriers more competitive and I prefer the way you can fly from one and return from another. One way flights are easier to deal with rather than being forced to decide on a return journey and can be cheaper too. The transparency is better and you can decide to travel on a peak day or time or not.

4. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    It depends on where you are flying If you are staying within the United States, you can't beat Southwest. If you are going overseas I would refer to the other posts on the thread. You can't beat Southwest's deals - no baggage fees and the staff is always very friendly when on the flight.

I always fly Southwest and will continue to be a valued customer.

5. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    I've traveled with EasyJet several times in the past, and it's really great since you don't have to pay exorbitant prices just to travel an hour or two away. Of course the long ques, stressful customer service (at times), and the leg space are things we can complain about, but I mean what do we expect when we're flying on a no-frills airline. Haven't yet traveled with any other low cost airlines.

6. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I like JetBlue. Always reliable and decent prices. I think their on-time percent is pretty low, around 70%, but I have never had a problem with delays or late arrivals. I liked them so much I actually invested in them in the stock market. They have had a great year!

7. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    About the on-time percentages... in Europe, RyanAir has one of the best ones because they do a little trick with their schedules, where they announce the arrival time to be later than they actually expect it to be, thus they give themselves a bit more time to arrive within the schedule.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have travelled Flybe, easyJet and Ryan Air. I didn't mind both EasyJet and Flybe. You basically get what you pay for, and you can't really argue with that. Not so sure about Ryan Air, though. I just feel that sometimes they mess customers about, and can get too close to the bone. Then you have the Ryan Air boss endorsing that, and worse still, NOT apologising for their appalling behaviour!

9. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    Well, to be fair to RyanAir, they're the ones who have brought the low cost model to Europe and I will be forever thankful to the for that. I think their boss encourages bad behavior as a means of getting publicity. Think about all those times they told us they were going to start charging passengers for the right to use the toilet. They never introduced it, but they did get huge amounts of free publicity.

10. mommyof4

mommyof4New Member

Threads:
    I have flown Spirit several times. I always hear bad reviews about them but I have never had a problem. Even with the baggage fees I have come out with a cheaper fare then I can find anywhere else. Now there are times that Spirit isn't cheaper you just have to do your research to really get the best bang for your buck with airlines!

11. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Like the discussions.......

12. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Kylrey, discussion going well. This information is quite interesting and beneficial for all travelers who love to travel around the world like me. I have good experience of AirAsia few months ago.

13. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I also traveled with RyanAir once. It was a comfortable and quite cheaper for prices.

14. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've used EasyJet and AirAsia before. I wasn't overly impressed with EasyJet, but you get what you pay for so I can't complain. And AirAsia seemed to be a pretty decent service from memory.

15. dillydally

dillydallyNew Member

Threads:
    I've traveled on southwest a lot from Seattle to Spokane. I've used Ryanair quite a lot to get around Europe. They seem to have the best routes and prices. Normally my max flight time with them has been 2 hours. I normally dont have too many complaints because you get what you pay for. But I recently did a 5 hour Ryanair flight and it was HELL!! My back hurt for a day at least after since you can't adjust the seats at all. I find easy jet more comfortable but it's also more expensive and they don't fly to as many destinations.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used Ryanair, EasyJet and Jet2 before now and never had any problems. I agree that you have to be really careful with your bag, to avoid any excess weight charges but on the whole, they are great value.

17. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Never had any problems with Ryanair either. Probably because I've used their company <10 times. Anyway, I think problems that rise up with airlines are rare to come by and usually create more noise than the good stuff. Remember you are flying a low cost airline so don't expect royal beds.

18. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the ones you guys are referring to I have never even heard of.
    I have always flown with Southwest Airlines and I have flown once on AirTran (before it was bought by Southwest)
    Southwest was awesome until they stopped going to Jackson, MS
    I guess I will just use the for going to Chicago from now on.

19. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I almost always fly American or Southwest Airlines. I prefer Southwest because they do not charge for luggage up to a certain size and weight. I don't necessarily consider them "cheap", but I think I would be afraid of going any cheaper. I noticed the cheaper flights are usually on smaller planes and the turbulence scares me.

20. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I've flown with AirAsia, it's really quite comfortable for a no-frills service. The only downside is that there aren't meals served (and if you choose to buy any food and drinks on board be prepared to pay through your nose)