What makes a good family movie?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Jan 17, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you are going out, a movie is one of the surefire ways to entertain the ones you are with. It's a bit hard though when you are with a lot of people. In this case, your best bet is just to watch a family movie. What are the elements of a great family movie?

2. qaximor

qaximorNew Member

Threads:
    I think what makes a good family movie is it should be funny and not too kiddish. If it gets to a point where the movie is too kiddish the parents or older sibling won't like to watch it. For example a good family movie is "Honey, I shrunk the kids". That movie is a perfect family movie. It's comedy, PG and I have never gotten bored after watching it more than 3 times!

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    The elements that I consider would be:

to be funny but to stay within a PG context
    to have a dash of romance, but not too lovey dovey
    should be unpredictable
    to not be too much on the "happy side" - some movies get pretty boring if they're always happy

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Basically, family movies have to have no sexually suggestive scenes, and they should be inspiring, positive, basically a feel good movie. I think the movie "8 Below" is a perfect example of what a family movie is like.

5. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I think what makes a great family movies is: storyline, action genre but has humor/comedic relief, and great characters that have good interaction with the other characters. 9/10 children love fun characters whether it's an animated film like Madagascar or an action based film such as Spy Kids. They HAVE to be involved in the character for them to enjoy it. For parents/adults, they will get a kick out of the movie either way because it makes their kids happy. But it's always good to have some comedy in there for a quick laugh. It matches well with popcorn!

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    To me, it has to be a comedy. The movie must have family values incorporated in it because if it doesn't teach us values of family it's not a family movie. The best would be to also be during the festive season like Christmas, New Year's, or something else. Other than about the family, I also get to experience the festive season too.

7. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I would watch a comedy or animation movie. I would never watch a horror movie, independent of the age of my children. Actions movies can be ok from the age of 16.
    I enjoy watching comedies so it's a win-win situation for me.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think a great family movie just doesn't pander to any particular demographic, meaning it does not dumb down jokes for the sake of kids and it doesn't put in unnecessary elements or overplay anything just for the sake of adults. To me, a good family movie is still just any other great movie just without the violence and other lewd content. Kids are very intuitive anyway and they understand a lot more than we give them credit for, so movies that don't shy away from mature content or healthy foolishness would get my vote for a good family movie.

9. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    It has to be fun enough for the kids and funny enough for the rest of the family. Kind of like the Pixar movies, the humor is mature enough to be entertaining for everyone.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It should be a movie that's not just meant to be funny. Of course the humor must be a key element but the story should also be deep enough to teach a lesson of some sort to the kids. I'm talking about a movie like Ant Z.

11. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    In general anything that the other family members enjoy but can stay in the PG range at the most. I'm not going to sit in front of the TV, in general, unless it is going to bring the family together. I'm not looking for my own personal entertainment but rather something that is going to bring the family together. For me, what brings them together is the enjoyment which keeps me around.

I do, if at all possible, prefer to teach my family life lessons by what they are watching. Here in the Philippines there is a company called "Heart Shaper Video", and they have an entire line of movies of which I think ninety percent of them are what I would like my family to watch.

12. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't recommend something Rated-R because that would be very inappropriate and quite awkward to watch with your family. I would probably say comedies make good family movies. Comedy films are pick-me-up films. Laughing together as a family can establish even a stronger relationship with them. It gives everyone happiness and a shared experience.

Pop in a comedy film for family fun nights!

13. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer movies with animated characters instead of some generic family you're supposed to relate to. Obviously, the jokes, music, everything else can't only be meant for kids. It's too hard for adults to enjoy or even watch certain family movies. I think animated movies tend to appeal to a wider audience because kids enjoy animation and you have more possibilities with story, setting, etc.

14. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I would say that if a movie is a comedy it will be fun for everyone. At least it will not have much nude scenes or sensitive language than those that are rated. I think comedy are the best movies to watch as a family other than the others.

15. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I think movie related to kids and a bit of action movie as well like your comic movies like The Avengers or Captain America etc these are the type of movie which a family can see and enjoy together. This is not in all cases for me its their choice for me their is no harm of seeing any type of movies but with a condition that they should not have nude scenes in it!:D

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me, what makes for a great family movie is a light, engaging and fun story with funny and relatable characters. I think comedies make the best family movies, but the light PG kind of comedy! It's the kind of movie adults can watch with their kids, everyone will enjoy, everyone will understand and have a good time.

17. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I agree, family movies should be humorous. There are films in which we watched as a family that would have us repeating lines. A movie like Ace Ventura is a prime example in my family. We definitely would use one liners from that film between one another. A family movie should have everyone enjoying themselves. That is why humour is a good route to take.

18. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I think a family movie needs to be clean with no sex and no violence. I needs humor and I would like to see some drama or suspense. There has to be some kind of excitement in it so it is not boring.

19. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    There aren't any these days.

Everything movie being made is extremely mature, and vulgar. Most movies are targeted for an adult audience. Which makes it hard to see a movie in the theaters with your entire family.

The only movies that the whole family can watch together is Animated films. Which is going to be torture for the adults is the family. What adult wants to sit through an entire animated movie?