What Makes Clothing Good Value?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by cocolgooh • Jun 29, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    For me, the item has to be something that I'll wear on multiple occasions for it to be worth buying. If it's something I'll only ever wear once or twice I can't really warrant purchasing it as it feels like a waste of money to me. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but on the whole I wouldn't purchase something unless I could see it getting used a lot.

I also won't buy something unless it looks robust and like it's going to last. I don't want to be having to replace something just days after I bought it.

In your opinion, what attributes make clothing good value?

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with being able to wear something many times, and also being able to wear it with a variety of things I already own. I do own a few things that can only be worn with one or two other items in my wardrobe; it would be way too stark without a little fun and impracticality. But I try to keep my wardrobe orphans to a minimum. Anyway, if something’s versatile, comfortable, and cute, and it’s durable, that equals good value to me.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you; it has to be something that I can wear multiple times, on multiple occasions. That's part of the reason why I don't get how some brides can buy like a $2000 wedding dress when they're only going to wear it for a few hours....

And another "Criteria" I guess would be that it has to be able to go with something in my closet, and also something that I don't have. I tend to double up on clothing that I have already, but I'm trying really hard not to do that.

4. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Being literally hard wearing is important to me. I am very active and I find this causes a problem when it comes to shoes as many simply are not designed for a lot of walking on pavement and wear out ridiculous quickly or are become extremely uncomfortable.

Often there is kind of a catch 22. There are shoes that would last for a year or more, and be far cheaper on a "cost/lifespan" basis. But the fact is they are simply too expensive for me to afford in any given month's budget. Or maybe I should be rethinking that somehow by considering shoes more like a small appliance where the payout should be worked into the yearly budget not the monthly clothing allowances....

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, any item of clothing I buy has to be durable. It has to be pleasing on my eye, too. I'm also not for going for something solely because it's comfy, it has to look good and fit. I always try marry all these and find a happy medium with the cost, too. I try to stay clear of fashion items which before you know it are so passé everyone looks at you and declare you stuck in some sort of fashion time warp.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I can completely relate to this! I don't have a lot of money to be able to buy expensive clothes so I end up generally buying cheaper ones that probably are more expensive in the long run than what something more expensive up front would've been. With some items perhaps it is more worthwhile to do it this way. I suppose it depends on what you're using an item for and whether it will need replacing too frequently to be considered good value if you go for a cheaper one?

7. samanthafox

samanthafoxNew Member

Threads:
    I have two sets in my wardrobe the not so typical value for money cocktail dress collection and then the value for money casual wardrobe collection which I can afford t mix and match and accessorize but I make sure it flatters my figure and body type and doesn't make me look hideous.

The key to start with may be spending on what people notice: no one will notice you only have two pairs of shoes, but they will if you only have two scarfs; there isn’t much to the quality of a t shirt; and good fit can carry you a long way.

8. LeopardJones

Threads:
    Yep, I’m with both of you there. I keep telling myself I should save up for something high-quality and durable, particularly when it comes to shoes, but then I end up going for cheap and cheerful anyway. With my clothes, I take good care of them so I can make even the cheaper stuff last, but I still try to keep my purchases within reason. And I’ve told myself I can only buy one cute, cheap pair of shoes per year so I can allot more of my budget to a durable, hopefully longer-lasting pair.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Quality is the most important thing and what the fabric is and whether it is easy to care for. I bought a suede coat, but cleaning it cost me so much money so I stopped wearing it.

The color and cut is also important and how versatile it is. I tend to only wear black clothes and I always check the seams and how thick the material is. I bought some cheap leggings and they lasted a day, so I learned my lesson there. The fabric was thin and the seams seemed okay, but the fabric was still not sturdy enough and the seams fell apart.

10. LeopardJones

Threads:
    That’s another important factor for me as well. I avoid buying anything that’s dry-clean only or requires another special form of cleaning, so I doubt I’ll ever own any real suede or silk. That is, unless I suddenly become filthy rich (or I could possibly hand-wash the silk). Suede wouldn’t be practical in this climate anyway, so I’m not missing much there.

11. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    If it makes me feel sexy and confidant without breaking the bank, it is a good value. I like clothes that can fit right in with what is already in my wardrobe and will last a long time. I like fashion, but I do not believe it has to be expensive. I have even been known to find some great staple pieces from second hand shops. I like saving money, but I also love looking and feeling good.

12. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I look at the weave of the fabric and how it is sown, to know if it will last. I also place value on its beauty and how it makes me feel. I think about my entire wardrobe sometimes too, and how it will fit in.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have know that I am going to be able to wear things on multiple occasions before I will even think about buying it. I also need to know that it is good quality clothing, and that it isn't just going to disintegrate in the wash like some of the cheap things that I have bought over the years. If I can be sure that things are going to last, and that they're not too expensive, then I will buy them for myself. But I do always stop and have a think about whether it is going to be worth it, first.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it is quality and style. Depending on the quality and type/style of clothing, you accept paying more or less for it. For example, I love Zara and think their stuff are really good quality. So I sometimes will spend a bit more than I wish because I think it's worth it.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The quality of the fabric is the first thing I look at. Synthetic fabrics don't last long so I always choose the better quality [natural] fabrics because I know the clothes will be more durable. In addition to that I also look for low-cost care. Nothing that will need to be dry cleaned.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nice stitching and thick enough fabric are what I always look for when buying clothes. If it looks flimsy or shoddily made then I won't buy it.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For me the fabric is one of the most important things to look at. I think value is there both for expensive and cheap clothes, even if it doesn't get as much use as other items as long as the quality is there for the few times you use it then I think there is value in that too. If the fabric and fit are good then it will make you feel good and as long as it lasts you can use it as little or as much as you want and as long as it helps you feel confident each time then it is good value in my opinion.

18. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    What makes clothing good quality is that it is put together properly. I was just watching TV recently about a family that passed down a sweater for 3 or generations now. It also helps if the clothing is something that will not go out of style too quickly. Like for instance how many people do you know still walk around with those huge bulky shoulder pads under their clothes?

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Durability is probably one of my number one concerns when buying clothing. I want stuff that is easy to keep clean without shrinking and shriveling up and fading after just a wash or two. The last thing I want to be doing is taking my clothes to get dry cleaned all the time because they are too delicate to be washed at home.

In particular I pay close attention to how much the clothes shrink. For dress shirts I'm also concerned about the collars getting all shriveled up and shrunk, the sleeves shrinking, etc... For dress pants or jeans, the fabric should be substantial and not cheap feeling, and they shouldn't easily start fraying at the bottom of the pants near the heels of my shoes.

I'm pretty basic and plain when it comes to what I wear in general. In these fall/winter months I mainly wear khakis and long sleeve dress shirts. The older I've gotten the less I find myself wearing jeans any more, they are too "heavy" feeling and restrictive when I am walking around. I much prefer the lighter feel of dress pants.

As long as a I have a couple of each color pant available, and a decent selection of long sleeve dress shirts, I just mix and match them throughout the week, and switch up my belts and shoes as well.

20. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a bank executive, I cannot afford to buy cheap clothes because our HR is strict on fashion. It is called corporate image and we have to maintain it for our image reflects our office. I buy expensive, mostly branded, blazers which I wear as part of my regular office attire. I have invested a lot in blazers and blouses too since I would be wearing it often.