What makes you actually download an App?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Esperahol • Aug 15, 2014.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I like reading about "the best apps for ..." kind of posts. For example, I have tried numerous productivity apps and the ones I have installed I discovered through various blog posts. I read the reviews first (I always sort to newest reviews first) and decide whether to download the app or not.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that an app usually has to be free for me to download it. The apps I use on a regular basis earns me rewards but on occasion I will download something to play. I have somewhat high standards I suppose. The game can't be too complicated but at the same time it can't be too simplistic like Flappy Bird.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Primarily, I download Apps because of my need. A need first should come before I download something. I don't download just to download or find something I could spend my time on. I also download if someone recommend an app that I think would be useful for me in terms of studies and entertainment. I rarely download games. What I often download are multimedia player apps.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think most of the time, I realise that I require a particular by looking at my friends phones. I check out the app in my friends phone and if it's good enough then I will think about downloading it. I like to download apps based on their ratings and reviews also. The better the rating, more will be my tendency to download it.

5. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Not only do apps helps to entertain my daily life, but they also provide productivity for me and those are the two main reasons why I download apps. I don't just download an app because everyone else has it or download it just for the heck of it. I have to see a benefit in that app before I choose to download it. Like I go on social media to put myself out there a bit and keep up with family, friends, television and movies, so I have the Facebook, Twitter and Instagram apps. I love watching TV, movies, videos and playing games so I'll have apps like YouTube, Vine, Quiz Up and Wordament installed. I like being organized and keeping notes so I'll have apps like EverNote and Goal Manager. It all has to have a purpose why I download it, the rating and reviews have to be good too and I have to know I will also use it regularly.

#25Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I mostly download shopping or money making apps. Downloading a game app passes the time if you take public transportation to work like the bus or train, playing a game or reading a book always makes the time pass quicker. The apps that cost money I try and stay away from those apps because it makes no sense to pay money to advance in a game or get extra stars or points ect. I would stick to apps that help you make extra money or save money, like groupon or coupon apps.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'll download an app if it improves my workflow or if it's simply fun and will help me kill time at various times of the day. As long as it doesn't have ads, it doesn't take a great leap for me to download an app and see how I like it.

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I don't actually look for apps to download but once I can see someone I know who uses it, I'd be convince to use it too. except lately whic I was looking for a new browser and after checking its reviews I fnally download it, I wss about to uninstall it becuase I find it difficult to use but after tweaking its settings, it turned out great.

9. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Really depends on the app. Most of the apps I download are games or something along those lines.
    But some of the things that influence my opinion are;
    - If it's free or not
    - Reviews and Recommendations
    - If it's different from other games out there
    - Is it a knock off?

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, technology is ruling our lives nowadays and pretty much all of the things we do involves technology and social media so it's hard not to fall in the trend. I download app if it's useful to me like Kindle app. I use it to read ebooks through my phone. Spotify app is also one of my favorites since i love music and the app is really the best music app there is. There are also some great business-related apps, fitness apps and all kinds of app depends on your needs really. :p

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Standard: Are We Learning Anything?

My criteria for downloading an app is as such:

(1) How serious it is
    Serious apps are for serious people. So I look for apps that play around with their ideas. Some apps don't take themselves too seriously and have been marketed to look like a joke. I have no example, but take a look at "boyfriend apps" if you have time, and you will see what I might mean.

(2) How colourful is it represented
    Apps that don't adapt to the changes of our times will never make it alive.

(3) Is it gamified?
    Gamification is like the new standard for anything techie, and apps will not be excused. Therefore, if an app is gamified and it has gotten positive reviews, rated with five stars, then there is absolutely no reason for me to doubt its professionalism. Also, apps with positive reviews tend to give good customer service.

(4) Does it do customer service? :eek:
    I think these two should be separated: apps and customer service. I won't even need to hog the customer service line if the app itself is easy to use, does what it claims to do, and is fun. A plus plus if we can make money with the app.

(5) Does it depend on other apps or a specific software?
    Some apps are popular because it is a "requirement" by certain software. Like Dropbox before Skydrive. After Skydrive was created, I totally did not use my Dropbox app.

Learning.