What media player do you use to play movies?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by 003 • Jun 16, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I use VLC and VLC alone. It can play almost anything, and those that it cannot, it's easy for it to install codecs. So next time it already can. Also it's free and has a high maximum volume of up to 200%. Isn't it a good news to hear. It's also easy and simple to use especially its interface unlike the rest that I've tried like the Windows media player or even the iTunes. I simply think that VLC is the best.

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using VLC players for years and I can clearly see and compare the differences of it with all the other media players I have used in the past. I love it that the maximum volume is a lot higher than any other players too and I can also easily scroll it up and down to turn the volume to my desired level.

My husband used to only use Windows Media Player in the past but now he's a faithful user of VLC too because he has some files that can only be played using VLC.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've read some comments online stating that MPC provides much better quality of video than VLC, but I personally don't really mind the quality of VLC playback enough to switch because I've already grown used to it and I even use my laptop VLC in conjunction with my VLC apps in my other devices. Whatever subtle quality improvement I could get from another media player, I'm not really that interested in because it's not like the video playback quality of VLC is all that bad anyway.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The software I use to play videos came bundled with the software I use to download flash videos from different websites. I used it only once and realized that it was much better than VLC.

I use an ancient machine and when I'd use VLC to play a relatively large video file, the computer would stop responding forcing me to restart it. But with this other software, I can play any video without any issues. It's has a generic name: FLV player so if you'd be interested in testing it out I don't know if that would help you.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also use VLC. I have yet to run into a media file that it couldn't play. It's a wonderful piece of software.

6. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I too use VLC. I did use Windows Media Player but I found that it takes up a considerable extra amount of CPU than using VLC does, so I switched and now wouldn't go back for anything. VLC is surprisingly fast and very good with all file types, a great piece of software especially considering it's completely free to download too!

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also use VLC player, I used to use Windows Media Player and Real Player, but now I only use Windows Media Player to play mp3's and videos that it can open by default, and I use VLC to play any videos that WMP can't open.

8. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I use two - Windows Media Player and Real Player Cloud. The reason why is that each of them performs different functions well.

Windows Media Player allows me to modify the size of the movie I am watching a bit more. So, I can surf the Internet or write an e-mail while watching something. On the other hand, Real Player Cloud plays more media types. As a result, there's no need to alter or modify what you see (specifically download from the Internet).

Other than these variances, they both seem to be about the same - to me.

9. Broadleaf

BroadleafMember

Threads:
    I also use VLC Media Player. It is what I used in school and it is what I use now. It can play virtually any format in existence, including WebM. Again, it is simple to use and looks half decent compared to an amazing looking player that can't play any of my formats. VLC Media Player is the only path you should take, hands down.

10. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I know there's a lot of people that don't like VLC, but honestly I've never had any problems with it, so it's installed on all of my systems for video.

Interestingly, I've heard people say that going beyond the max volume of 200% on the newer versions-which is possible if you fool about with the settings-doesn't do anything as the new 200% is as loud as the old 400%. However when I tested it, going past 200% was a lot louder.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I see that VLC player is the most used here. Me, I use Media Player Classic - for no apparent reason, I simply got used to it and I know where to find the functions I need fast. In the end, since we're taking about free software, it's just a matter of taste for most of us.

12. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    VLC is definitely my favorite. I love that it supports so many different formats. I also love the style and design of the player. I think that VLC plays videos more smoothly than other players I've used.

13. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    At the moment I use VLC media player. It is pretty good and I hardly face any challenges with it. But it has come to my attention that VLC does a lot of compression with the audio and some of the vision videos do not come out the way that they were intended. So in light of that I have been looking around for different types of media players. I recently came across one known as SM player. It's actually pretty good and the video quality is much better than VLC. I only have challenges when I'm playing high quality videos. SM player has a problem when playing these videos and it tends to jam a lot. But a regular quality video will work very well so at the moment I'm using both VLC and SM player. I would recommend this to anyone

14. soulite

souliteNew Member

Threads:
    I either use VLC or Quicktime. I like Quicktime more because it plays smoother and the graphics of the movie is usually better. VLC is nice because it generally plays any type of movie file that Quicktime doesn't play.

15. silentrascal

silentrascalNew Member

Threads:
    The software I use depends on how I'm planning on watching a movie on my computer. For instance, am I simply putting in a DVD and wanting to watch it? Then I'll stick with the stand-by Windows Media Player. If I'm going to watch it online, then my go-to source is a website called "Project Free TV". It doesn't depend on a particular video player to be installed on your machine. What it does is provide you online links to click on to sites that host the video file and you play it using their player through the provided link. It's very easy. If anyone should want to try it, I recommend doing so through the Google Chrome browser, but be sure to install the AdBlock add-on before doing so. It will save you much frustration and headache from all of the various pop-ups that you could potentially come across.

16. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I use VLC for every movie file I play. It's faster than WMP and it can play a wide variety of formats and extensions unlike the native Windows app for media playing. Also, VLC is faster than most media players I've encountered and it's pretty light on the system.

17. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    The only program I use for video playback is Media Player Classic, it might not have many fancy features that other programs like VLC might have, but it gets the job done more than well enough and it's very lightweight.
    All I need to do with it is click play, maybe set subtitles and that's it.

18. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using VLC at the moment, but I have used Media Player Classic, BS Media Player, and some other I can't even remember right now.
    I like VLC a lot, but I got to say that Media Player Classic is also awesome as hell. I can't even remember why I stoped using it...
    I don't like Itunes though...

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I use VLC for everything movie related that I do. It's pretty much the fastest I've ever used and compared to WMP it's more usable since you can play a lot of video files there from MKV's to MP4

20. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I use VLC for everything. Movies, music whatever it is media related. VLC is great I prefer it to most free and paid media players. It's fast and has a lot of tools and features you can use