What Movie Scared You as a Kid?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Rhoda D'ettore • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    When I was four years old, an animated movie came out entitled Watership Down. It was based on a children's book, but the movie was violent and it and a similar movie by the same company were banned in the US. The movie might have been about bunnies, but it was an obvious symbolic story about the holocaust and Nazi Germany. Seriously, the little bunnies were trying to leave their homeland to escape death, and the soldier bunnies chased them down and at time tore them apart---with blood and saliva flying! The last line told kids to be good or the General would get them! I was terrified. As an adult I decided to rent it and conquer my fears. Freddy Kruger was not problem, fluffy bunnies were Satan incarnate!

What was your childhood fear factor movie?

2. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    "Child's Play" was very scary to myself as a kid. Just the thought of dolls and toys staring at you at night continues to freak me out to this.I have seen a lot of horror films. I not too impressed. Today I just consider "Child's Play" just a fun movie rather than horror. But it will always be responsible for one of my most lasting phobias.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started watching horror movies when I was very young. The first horror movie I watched was From Dusk Till Dawn. It was so scary to me that I couldn't sleep that night, expecting a vampire to spring out of the closet and attach itself to my throat. When I was all grown up I watched the movie and realized that for a horror movie it was not scary at all. It was around that time that I stopped watching horror movies because most of them instead of being scary they are sort of funny.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You guys are really young. I was already in college when From Dusk Till Dawn came out so it's funny to hear that it was your first horror movie.
    I was a child in the 1980's so the movie that scared me was Poltergeist. That movie made me nervous around TV static.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I remember being scared by Nightmare On Elm Street because Freddie Kruger really looked scary to me, but now looking back I honestly can't recall what it was specifically that scared me about it. I think it was just the hype sure ding it since my older brother would usually talk about how scary it was so it got to me, but now I realize I'm more creeped out by psychological horror movies instead of just monsters onscreen.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Guys take a look at the two posts below:

Have any of you noticed something similar elsewhere on the forum? I'd be interested in knowing that because to be honest, there's absolutely no reason why anyone should use a spinner to create a post from another post. If it was posted on some other forum then fine but on the same forum?

#6Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  7. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    We watched horror movies at sleepover and were scared almost as a principle, watching away from the screen and screaming at scary parts and all. One movie that unexpectedly really scared me was Jumanji. That moment when RobinWilliam-as-a-kid gets sucked into the board... His fingers stretching all out and all. Woah. Great stuff right there. Scared me everytime.

8. Cryyo

CryyoMember

Threads:
    The goonies. Even though that movie was meant for kids, that big oaf looking guy stuck in my mind. I know he was really a good guy in the movie, but the oddity of his face gave me nightmares as a child. It almost fed an odd fear of anyone that looked different, which is really unfortunate.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't really remember any movies that scared me, because I always thought that they are just movies. What scared me more was what was going on around me, and the strange things that happened in my neighborhood. The scariest night I ever had, was when I was about 8 years old and a neighbor drowned in a nearby river. She was only 18 years old, and it was a freak accident. Someone had told me that her eyes had disappeared into her head when they found her. This image caused absolute terror in my mind.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't remember watching a movie as a kid that had a huge impact on me, but when I was in my teens, I watched The Blairwitch Project, and I was uneasy the night that I watched it. I kept looking behind my bed to see if someone was going to get me in the dark since the lights were off. That was the only time that a movie influenced my mood hours after I watched it.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't really watch horror movies, but films like 'Jaws' or Dracula movies scared me, though it was more the scary music that went along with it. I watched 'The Fog' and that scared me a little as I kept channel surfing so I would try to skip the scary parts and think I was being brave. These days I am much better and only watch them during the daytime.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Poltergeist is a good one. It's funny the things that scared us back then compared to what people grow up with now. Michael Myers scared me more than any of them I think. And Jason. They were the two that took me for.ev.er to finally get the guts to watch all the way through.. I have a seriously big fear of knives when it comes to death scenes.. I feel everything I watch lol

13. Atlas_Hope

Atlas_HopeNew Member

Threads:
    The first Harry Potter film, stupid professor with Voldemort's face on the back of his head, thought that was terrifying for some reason. Now if I was to watch it i'd just comment on how bad the cgi was.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think any moving scared me very much except certain horror movies. I think it is not really great to watch so many horror movies in your childhood, hence I got an opportunity to watch very limited ones.

15. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid Child's Play would scare me SO much. It didn't help that almost everyone I knew had a Chucky doll because they were so popular at the time. I just couldn't stand it. When I got older I rewatched all the Child's Play movies and they just make me laugh now.

16. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    'Chuckie' and 'Scream' were probably the most horrifying movies I've watched when I was a kid. Those faces have scarred me for life. I just hated the fact that they would just kill people, and they couldn't do anything about it.

Anything child-like, like Chuckie, and anything ugly-looking, like Scream, scares me to death. Imagine a kid watching those movies? That's how I was.

Even until today, I hate watching scary movies.

17. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember getting extremely creeped out by the intro of The Exorcist. It was being shown in one channel late at night. I wanted to switch the TV off but I was scared to go near it. My mom saw it and she immediately turned the TV off. Lol. I haven't seen the full exorcist film up to this day. However, I have seen a lot of horror films through the years like The Ring, The Grudge, The Eye, One Missed Call, A Tale of Two Sisters, Insidious, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and a lot more. I now love horror movies :)

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The only movie that scared me as a kid was the 1973 The Exorcist and it's probably the only horror movie that I watched before I turned in high school. It was so scary and traumatizing that after I watched, I didn't want to watch any horror movies anymore. I also remember that I'd always cry at night every time I'd go to sleep in my bedroom alone. I just wanted to be all the time beside my mom, or someone else's company.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There were so many movies that scared me I can't keep count. Let me name a few: I Know What You Did Last Summer, Cruel Intentions, Jeepers Creepers, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, Idle Hands, Chucky and Chucky's Bride. Chucky was the scariest of them all. My brothers and I thought the movie was just about a talking doll. We didn't expect it to be a murderous talking doll.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was a bit of an oddball, since horror movies intrigued me more than frightened me as a kid. I really got into the special effects and loved watching all the slasher films in the 80's to try and figure out how they pulled off some of those scenes. It was much like watching a magic show and guessing how they did it.

I was also a very young and avid reader of Fangoria magazine which came out shortly after I was born, so I knew all about many of the horror movies as well as behind the scenes stuff before I even saw them - I guess this helped me not get scared by them at all. I was just more excited to see how they turned out.

The only one in particular thought that did kind of freak me out for some reason was The Fog. There was something about those figures approaching through the fog that freaked me out. I kept thinking I was going to wake up and my room was going to be filled with fog, and they would rise out of it.