What New Items Have You Bought For One Dollar That Wasn't Worth The Money?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by MissLibby • Jun 15, 2016.

1. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    With some products, it's easy to see that they're not worth one dollar just by looking at them. On the other hand, sometimes I'll buy a product for one dollar and think I'm getting a great deal. Sometimes I do, but other times, I wonder what I was thinking. This happened just the other day when my sister and I was in the Dollar Store. She happened to remember that we needed clothespins. I found a bag of clothespins in the laundry aisle and thought I'd snagged the deal of the day. A bag of 50 wooden clothespins for the low, low price of a one dollar bill.

The next day, after I had washed some clothes, I grabbed my new bag of wooden clothespins, my laundry and headed to the clothesline. The second clothespin I took out of the bag came apart before I could even get the thing on the clothesline. Since then and after several more loads of laundry, I've probably pitched a third (so far) of my new clothespins. The wooden part seems sturdy enough, but the metal bracket that holds the wooden pieces together are total junk. So I've learned my lesson with dollar clothespins. Next time, I'll splurge a little and get some that are made better.

So are there any dollar items that you thought you were getting a good deal on that weren't that good of a deal after all?

2. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Lmao I think your clothespins story is hilarious! Sorry they didn't work out for you. I bought a small dry erase board at the dollar store the other day because I wanted to practice my Russian cursive, plus it's fun to write/draw on said boards. However, when I got home and unwrapped it, I accidentally peeled off the little plastic thing that you're supposed to write on. I thought it was part of the packaging since it came off so easily, but when I wrote on the board, I realized I'd made a mistake because the writing wouldn't come off! I just thought, "are you kidding me?!" I should've been more careful when opening it, but oh well. I should've just bought a Snickers or something instead.

3. Glcameron

GlcameronNew Member

Threads:
    I love the story about the clothespins! I recently purchased about 10 candles from the Dollar Store in hopes I could maybe spruce up a friend's bathroom for decorative reasons.. big mistake. When we started to light some of them to see if they would keep their smell ( which c'mon now, we all know if it's a dollar you might get a hint of the scent but not the full experience) , they smelled awful. It took a few minutes for the smell of pure burnt wax to leave the room along with a small puff of smoke.

Rule of the day, just let the dollar store candle's look pretty, lol

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have already gotten several products for a dollar that I didn't think weren't even worth that much. That counts for nail polish, some make up items, kitchenware, stuff like that. The good thing is that you didn't spend that much to be that mad about, but it's still annoying that something can costs that little and still not even be worth that much.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought an mp3 player in Ebay for $1. Guess what? It broke in 3 hours! The control button had issues where it seemed sunken, so the song was always playing very, very fast. I thought I got a bargain, but no, cheap electronics will never be a bargain, because they will be poorly made if they are cheap.

6. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    Glcameron, I've done that same thing too with cheap candles. They stunk so bad that I just had to throw them away. They didn't have any type of fragrance at all and they smelled bad when they were burning. rosemoon, that's too bad that you removed a part of the board while taking it out of the package. Even though it didn't cost a lot, you didn't even get to use it. Yes, I think you should have went for the Snickers. isabbbela, I've tried some of the dollar make-up products in the past also, and it didn't take me very long to realize that they weren't very good at all. sidney, that's a shame about the mp3 player. I might have jumped on that bandwagon too since it was only one dollar. But you're right, electronics that are cheaply made just won't last.

7. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Anything you don't need isn't worth the money, whether it's one dollar, a thousand dollars, or even a penny!

That said, I used to go to the Dollar Store all the time and buy cheap crap I didn't use - kitchen gadgets, cleaning tools, little organizers, etc. I wasted so much money thinking I was getting a deal!

Your story with the clothespins reminds me of the time I bought a 4 pack of suction cups at the dollar store. They wouldn't stick to anything unless you taped them down!

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen clothespins at the Dollar Tree. I smiled because it was a bit of nostalgia. I have wasted too much money buying kitchen utensils. They were a waste of money. Very frustrating. I have learned to spend a little bit more money to buy kitchen utensils that lasts.

The thing that I most regret buying were bungee cords to use with a luggage cart. They reeked of some type of oil smell. I left them outside for a week, but the smell was too strong. I ended up throwing them away.

9. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Socks. Got them at the dollar store, each pair tore within 3 days. Stupid -_-. Other than that, everything I buy for a dollar is great.

10. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    I remember when I was about 12 I thought it would be a good idea to buy makeup from the Dollar Store (in my defense, I was pretty young). I decided I would try face makeup, so I looked around and found this super cheap liquid foundation. It was GROSS! Haha it was so goopy and it wouldn't blend onto my face correctly. After that, I didn't attempt to use foundation again for another few years, and I definitely stayed away from the makeup section in the Dollar Store;)

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think my biggest gripe is that some things look like a deal when they are a dollar, but when you go to another store, you find that they can be purchased for less than a dollar. It pays to know what stuff should cost.

I recently bought some apricot scrub at the dollar store, but it wasn't very good. I had picked up some before that I liked, so I was hoping this one would work too. despite being a different brand/package. I have to say that it smells really great, but it doesn't work well. There are maybe a couple of apricot seeds in there, but not ground up to make the "gritty" texture that helps exfoliate the skin. Oh well, lesson learned. I guess I'll add some baking soda to it and give that try.