What Occasions Do You Buy Gifts For?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by cocolgooh • Jul 15, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I have friends that buy gifts for everything - the usual to the not so usual, including: Christmas, birthdays, Easter, Halloween, graduation, get well soon gifts, house warming, christenings, weddings, april fools day, anniversaries, back to school, end of school, first day of summer, first day of winter, boxing day, new years eve, new years day... If there's a celebration of any sort they give gifts! And they always expect gifts back as well for all of those. It gets pretty annoying to be honest.

Personally, I'll give gifts for birthdays, Christmas, weddings, christenings, house warming and occasionally something else like an anniversary gift if its someone I'm close to and it's a special year or something.

What occasions do you typically give gifts for?

2. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I typically only buy gifts for Christmas and Birthdays. However like you mentioned, there are weddings, christenings, housewarmings, baby showers, anniversaries, etc. that I may get invited to on occasion and of course I will purchase a gift then. I am not invited to a lot of those events too often.

For my grandchildren I will buy them Easter presents and grading gifts at the end of the school year. I come from a big family so it can get pretty costly if I were to buy for every occasion.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get Christmas and Birthday and Graduation gifts. It can become a little costly to give gifts for every occasion when you have a few people to purchase for. I have a daughter and 2 grandson's that have a birthday the same week, another daughter that has a birthday a month after that and my mother's birthday is also a month after the 3 birthdays.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my friends live elsewhere, so gift giving can be pretty expensive when I factor in shipping costs. So mostly it’s just Christmas and birthdays. Sometimes I’ll send out a random care package, and if I could afford to do it more often, I would.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll have to be honest here. I don't have too many friends and I don't like my kinsfolk that much. Since we never see each other [that often] it would be pointless to buy them gifts. However I always buy their kids birthday gifts and if any of them [the kids] visit me at Christmas time, I'll buy some Christmas gifts.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy gifts for birthdays and Christmas, and occasionally wedding anniversaries if it is a special one. I often think that people put far too much pressure on others to be buying gifts all of the time, when it just might not always be necessary. Sometimes a card, or even just a letter, can mean more than a gift anyway, because you can write whatever you like in it. So I would try to avoid wasting any money on it if at all possible.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would only give gifts during birthdays and Christmas. But it depends on my budget too and if I like the person in the 1st place.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother has a friend like that, but with her, it's cards. She sends cards for absolutely everything, and not cheap ones. Sometimes, she includes small gifts as well. She also sends out notes, and is often upset that she doesn't receive notes in return or thank you notes for her cards or little presents.

I can't keep up with all the different Hallmark Holidays and every special occasion ever created. I couldn't afford to if I wanted to do so. I do the main ones. If there is some other special occasion, and it's a big one like the birth of a baby or even a graduation or a milestone anniversary, I'll do something.

First day of summer and all that? Bah.

When it comes to my grandbabies, I don't need an occasion. I'd rather spend all my money on them, haha.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I really only buy gifts for Christmas and birthdays right now. I am in one of those weird age stages where people are already married and there are no graduations or baby showers to attend at the moment. I love the holiday season and spend a lot of money on Christmas presents.

10. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    I buy gifts in Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, anniversaries for my close friends and family...