What Percentage Is An Appropriate Tip?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Aug 8, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that some people have very strong opinions on tipping (or not tipping, as the case may be) when they go to a restaurant, but this is not about that. This is about what percentage you think is appropriate or fair if you do regularly tip.

I don't go way above and beyond like some people do, because I feel it is a waste of money and is sometimes done just to show off. I am not about trying to look like I have more than I do, but at the same time, I do want to be fair.

What percentages do you typically tip for poor, average, good, and excellent service?

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    My niece raked me over the coals about tipping one time, when she was working as a waitress. Apparently they don't get paid, only tips. She said it should always be 20%. So I usually do tip 20%, but I don't put a calculator to that, just estimate.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The fact is simple, if the employers won't pay wages it's not up the customer to pay their wages. People need to stop working for these people and accepting that this is how it is. I'm sorry but outside of the US no one does this. Basically employers take advantage of the system and young people accept it, when it is in fact illegal not to pay people.

People should not feel obliged to tip, and 10% is normal, and 15% is good. I have been bullied into paying 20%, but that's higher than the state tax rates so you pay tax and a tip at that rate so your bill has gone up nearly 30% if you are in New York. That's just silly.

In normal countries (outside of the US) 20% is a high tip for exceptional service. Even in the UK when they put a service charge on for parties it is 12%. A 20% tip is only for exceptional service because staff in the UK do get paid. Now, there are some on minimum wage and some establishments that try it on with the US system, but people have a choice to work there or not, or to report them.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    My relatives who live in the US have told me before that there are indeed some restaurants there where a customer is required to leave a certain amount of tip to their servers. It's the total opposite though here in the Philippines, giving tips is actually an optional thing. If a customer is happy with the service he/she has received, it is within his/her prerogative whether to give a tip or not, and the amount also depends on the customer's choice.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is quite funny because my husband is privileged with a 20% discount in restaurants because he is a senior citizen. Let's say our food bill is 1,000 pesos and since there are 2 of us so only half of that bill is eligible for a discount. The 20% of 500 is 100 pesos, right? In other words, our tipping is 10% of the food bill. But in a clearer sense, it seems that we did not spend for the tip anymore since it came from the discount of my husband.

6. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I just tip what I feel is necessary, I don't eat out a lot now becasue its way two expensive. I also feel like its not my job to pay wages of an employee, when I am already buying the restaurants food. Legally in the United States if you are a waitress/waiter and do not make at least minimum wage with tips your employee has to make up the difference, if they aren't then time to report them to the government. I am sick of seeing post "well I only make 2.15 an hour, or I only make tips, because that is a lie, and really irritates me especially, I am sure most waiters don't want their wages to go up becasue they wouldn't be making bank on tips because people would stop paying them tips. So I do tip but I think its truly just a waste of money and I hate doing it, if the service is bad I won't tip at all.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Again, this isn't really about whether or not to tip, or whether or not the system is right or wrong. There are already some threads about that, so I don't really want to repeat it all here. I'm just curious about the amount people choose to tip (if you do tip). I know that in a lot of places the suggested amount is 20%, but it seems to be different in different areas.

Around here, a lot of people seem to tip about 10% and that's on a good day. I wonder why it is so different from one place to the next. Back when I was working for tips, I found that some people wouldn't even go by percentage. They would throw a dollar on the table whether they had a burger or a three course meal.

8. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I tip 10-15 percent usually when I eat out, it also depends on the restaurant, and it is different from one place to the next maybe due to what average income is the area maybe? If I go to burger joint (not fast food) but a small burger joint with a counter I usually only tip a couple of bucks, if all I get is a burger.

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I think 10 percent of your bill amount will be appropriate tip. I always tip 10 percent, however, there is an exception. Apart from the price of food items, some restaurants charge service tax and value added tax. When service task and VAT are included in the bill I try to avoid tipping because I am already paying too much for the food.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I only tip 15% on good service. I remember my dad saying to me that TIPS stood for To Insure Prompt Service. So I do go by that. If I get excellent service I will tip accordingly. Meaning if they are courtesy and polite I will leave a 15% tip. If the service is less then I will lower the tip to 10%. Once I received absolutely terrible service where the waitress was preoccupied and we waited for at least 10 minutes before getting our menus. She was disinterested in serving us and when I questioned her on something she was rude. I left no tip and complained to the manager about this server. I think servers have to remember they are in the service industry. They are expected to be helpful, kind, and courteous. Tips are to thank a server for their hard work.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this varies as to where you live, in cities people are expected to tip generously, but I stick to 10%, and only go to 15%if they were helpful . If I am in a place that is local to my friends or family then I feel I have to tip at least that amount (double the tax they tell me) because it may embarrass them, and I don't want that as much as that sounds silly.

If I go to places where my family know the servers then I feel I have to tip more, or they do it instead because that's how they keep in with better service, a table when they need it and little extras.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with Gracer, living here doesn't require you to tip at all, even if you're eating in a fancy restaurant or having your hair done in an expensive salon. Everything is optional. I guess in that aspect, our 3rd world country is better than the US when it comes to paying the employees, lol. The last time I left a tip was when I had a haircut, and I gave 10% of the service fee.

13. peachyfuzz

peachyfuzzNew Member

Threads:
    I work in the food service industry and I receive tips for my services, yet I have mixed opinions regarding the tipping situation in the US. I tend not to tip when I receive poor service, and you should not feel guilty for not tipping if you feel like your service was subpar. I tend to tip 10%-20% for adequate to superb service when I go out to eat or drink. As I mentioned before, I do tip when I receive decent service, but I don't really enjoy doing it. To me, it feels like an obligation. I'd much rather receive a livable wage by my employer than be forced to rely on the general public for a decent living. Ultimately, I would like to restate that you should not feel guilty for not tipping unless the server went out of their way to give you a fantastic experience.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is mainly for the people in the US, but here in the UK if you don't tip your hairdresser or server in the restaurant it's okay and not many people do. Now in London, beauty salons and hairdressers are different (high end) as they do anticipate tips, but most don't highlight it and have envelopes on the side so you can leave a tip. Some don't and I have had to ask for an envelope.

Here also it's normal to round up and people do that rather than calculate, even on card tips.