What Percentage Of Your Money Do You Spend On Food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Feb 21, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Humans need a lot of things but they two they can't do without is food, clothing and shelter. Our priorities therefore should be ordered thusly. If people didn't go hungry maybe very few would be interested in working, right?

It follows therefore that a large percentage of our earnings should go towards getting ourselves good food but many people spend most of their money on alcohol, buying beauty products and expensive clothes, entertainment, etc, etc. And the little cash that's left is spent buying the cheapest food they can find.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of your money do you guys spend on food? 50%, 10%, or 5% maybe?

For me it's about 30%.

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    For me it's about 30% too. We usually do our grocery every Saturday, stocking up food for one week consumption. I think it's important that we prioritize our food, afterall this is one of the reason why we worked so hard. And we shouldn't settle for the cheapest food since it may affect our health. Just like what they say, it's better to be safe than sorry.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm 5'8" and weigh 150 pounds, so I'm in the very middle of the BMI scale at a healthy weight. However, my food budget (whether I cook fresh food at home or eat out) is about 60% of my budget. I barely spend anything on entertainment or other non-essential categories. I pay my bills and save some money, but I love food, and it shows in my spending.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Too much. Is that a percentage? I'm different in that way though. It's a necessity & a past time for me. I love buying new & ridiculous food items regularly. I hardly can browse new groceries or farmers markets without picking something up. So, yea, far too much. Nothing goes to waste! But far too much...:oops:

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Don't really spend a percentage of my salary every month, but rather just keep a strict $200 budget for the month. So that's enough for a big grocery trip, a couple smaller ones and enough left over to eat out 3-5 times a month. I adjust it obviously if I go on vacation or am going out to a fancy dinner, but the $200 has been a pretty good constant to keep for me and my budget. It's on that line of still eating well, but not over excessively.

6. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Like the user above me said, I like to keep a budget for home groceries. About 300 for myself is enough to last for a while considering I shop when deals are available, and I find coupons online. I'd have to say it is less than 10 percent though. I also like to treat myself to a nice evening once in a while(maybe every month or few weeks) so that's almost negligible.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't keep a strict budget, but I tend to buy enough fruits, vegetables and cheap meats for one week and not any longer. I've never exceeded $100 on the bill, so it would be about $300-$400 a month which is pretty reasonable.

8. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I ate too much. I think around 45 to 50 percent of my salary are budgeted for food. I like to buy pork, chicken and fruits. They are quite costly here in my country.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have been making a lot of effort to save money on food over the past few months, and as a result of this I will now only spend a very small amount on the things that I buy. I buy things that I can stock up on while they are on offer, and will then make the effort to cook things and freeze portions that I can then use on another day. I save a lot of money this way - because in the past I would have bought things for individual meals, and I now know that it works out a lot more expensive in the long term to do this.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to spend about 20% on food and this is after we have cut back and I buy a lot of things on sale. I used to have a bad habit of buying certain items because they were on sale and then we did not eat it and it went to waste. Now I make a strict grocery list and stick to it. I also have an expensive cheese fetishes and have had to quit that habit as well. Now I hit Costco for the bulk items and then the grocery store thereafter. Costco saves us a lot of money and I can stock the pantry and freezer each month.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate to admit it but based on my personal estimation, I spend around 40 to 50 percent of my income on food. Not necessarily food for myself, I often go to the grocery to buy food for the entire family. When I'm at work, I also have the tendency to share my food to colleagues or random people outside of our building. Surprisingly, I still have enough left to fend off for my other needs such as transportation, insurance, occasional trips to wherever and the like.