What Product Do You Use For Cleaning Outdoor Furniture And Toys?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Apr 22, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have some plastic chairs for outdoors, as well as a mini table and chair set, plus some large, plastic outdoor toys for the little ones. I always get excited about warmer weather, and I want to pull everything out. Then of course, it rains, and rains, and everything gets muddy and dirty. What product do you use to clean outdoor furniture, toys, and other stuff?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many toys outside in our back garden. After each play, we don't always feel like packing the toys up and bringing them inside, especially bikes and scooters, and mobile cars. So they stay outside, and bugs get all over them, as well as cobwebs. It is gross. None of us enjoy wiping cobwebs and bugs off of the toys, and we have a hose, so we water blast them clean.

3. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    There is a product called Awesome that's, well ... AWESOME for plastic and resin items. It works well on other things, too, but it really excels for plastics. I buy it at the Dollar Tree but you can sometimes find it at other stores.

Spray the furniture down and let it sit for 15 minutes, then scrub it off with a green scrubber like Scotch-Brite. It removes more stains than anything else I've tried, including bleach.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cool, thanks for the great tip @professionaltightwad@professionaltightwad. Sounds easy enough! I haven't tried this product before, but I have heard of it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Dollar Tree, so I'll check next time I pop in there. I'll have to give this stuff a try.

@DreekLass@DreekLass I have also hosed things down before. That works pretty well, but I want to give everything a good cleaning before summer arrives.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually use white vinegar and bicarbonate soda to get rid of tough stains on outdoor furniture. But generally speaking, I don't really have a preferred brand of outdoor cleaner. I buy products that are bio-degradable and that don't harm me or the environment. There are several no-name cleaners available in bulk form at my local health food store. All you do is bring your own container and fill it up. Perhaps you have a similar arrangement in your town.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, of course, we do not just hose things down and leave them lol. We hose them down, and after most of the awful gunk is of of them, we wipe them down with anti-bacterial wipes, and then we will go over the frame of the toy, or apparatus, with a paper towel, to dry it. Then we do what we should have done to begin with, which is to not leave the toys outside lol.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't particularly like it but usually have to resort to bleach in order to get rid of stains on my outdoor plastic furniture. There are no toys around here. Well, unless you count my garden cart which looks like a toy of sorts. And then there are our plastic coolers. They get pretty nasty looking if they don't get bleached every so often.

8. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    There's one of these things that have feathers on them, you can use it to clean off the dust and use it to drive the dirt away. Hoovers sometimes work, but a little type of hoover that doesn't suck much energy and isn't so powerful that would ruin toys or furniture.