What Qualifications Do You Need To Do Product Reviews?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by NormaD • Jul 28, 2016.

1. NormaD

NormaDNew Member

Threads:
    I have heard of a lot of people creating successful review sites. I'm just curious as to what exactly I need to do or have or maybe there is some tests to take. What makes someone qualified to become a product reviewer? Or is just using the product enough?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as I know, the only 'qualification' you need is having had first hand experience of using any product you review. You don't need a diploma, let alone a degree, as long as you quite write clearly and well. This applies to the review sites I've had experience with. IDK maybe there are some out there that do call for a certain level of education. If there are some, they'd be stupid LOL

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that maybe a good way to get started doing this would be by becoming an Amazon reviewer. You do not actually work through Amazon; but rather for the small busnesses that are marketing their products on amazon.
    If you google the words "amazon reviewer", you will find links to websites that help people become a product reviewer, and you can start trying products at a discount, and then writing a review for the product.
    Once you have a good understanding of that , you would probably be able to start your own blog for reviewing products if that is what you want to do.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @NormaD@NormaD Are you looking to start your own review site? I don't know how profitable that is, since there seem to be some well-established sites, but maybe there is a market for it, particularly in your local area. I agree with @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady and @Lushlala@Lushlala, there really aren't any requirements that I'm aware of for being an actual product reviewer, other than language proficiency, and experience with the actual products. It probably would behoove you to have an established reputation as a product reviewer if you're looking to create your own product review site, and since Amazon is pretty famous for its reviews, that might be a good place to start to build a presence and reputation.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane...Oh I agree, and I'm sure that's what I said above, except of course you'd only have to have used the product first hand to give any reliable opinion on it. I'm sure we're in agreement. Maybe I didn't make myself very clear in my response hehe. I have done a lot of reviews on some well established beauty discussion forums, where it's never been required. Plus each time I've seen adverts for reviewers, there's never been any mention of any formal qualifications.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't need any qualifications to be a good product reviewer. When people look for reviews they are looking for unbiased information about a product. As a reviewer you use the product and tell them what you thought about it. Most reviews you read online are written by people who haven't used the product they are reviewing and they can't because of that, write good reviews.

As you as you can write well and will actually test products you review, that's all it takes to be a great reviewer.

7. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    There's no specific qualifications to become a reviewer. In my opinion, to be a good product reviewer you should at least have experience with the product and tell why you love or dislike it.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have looked around at this a little bit and could never really find an answer, which might tell you something about how hard I actually looked. It sounds like a good way to make a little extra money or get some free stuff, but I could never find a reputable company to trust. I am glad to hear that you do not need specific qualifications though, so I might give it another try.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, anyone can be a reviewer, however you will not get rich writing product reviews for the most part. You can generally get a product at a free or reduced price, or get some minimal compensation for using a product if you are writing about it on a review site. Some preople really like product reviewing and find it to be a good thing though.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose the best way to be a product reviewer is to start your own review website. After you have gained enough traffic, you can get contacted by entities to review their products. The volume of work might even overwhelm you. You can also do some free reviews and post them with a review website after which you sign up with them and then submit your samples which have been made elsewhere. One such site is SoftwareJudge.com which engages reviewers of software.

11. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Well, besides of proving you have a talent for writing fancy reviews that bring the attention of public, you don't need formal qualifications. Is like journalism, many people think you become a good journalism with a degree, but in fact,
    it depends how good your are in looking for and writing marketable PR stories.

12. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    What kind of review do you want to do, book review,movie review, product review, service review? There are lots of options available. The first criteria to become a reviewer is knowledge on the product.service you are reviewing. You must have first hand experience with the product/service you are reviewing. If you are reviewing HTC mobile, you must have used it. Second criteria is writing skill, review writing is little different from article writing.

13. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, using the product is not enough, you really need to understand how to get across to your target audience. There have been so many people out there who create crappy review sites, and they don't understand how to do reviews.

First make sure you're just not in it for the money, and once you get a big enough audience, companies will pay you, or rewards you with free products and services to reviews their stuff for potential sales.

You need to understand how to manage a website, and if you don't want to do that, then start as youtube channel. It's 2016, make sure you get a HD camera, people with poor quality footage makes me leave right away.

You need to learn how to promote your content, you don't really need specific qualifications like a college education or anything, you just need to be good at speaking and getting your point across. Lots of reviewers will review a product and start mumbling off into the abyss which destroys a review.

14. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most sites just have you sign up and start reviewing, also some sites do have some what of a test which you write sample reviews for a product and they review it to see if you have what they are looking for in a reviewer. Really it comes down to meaningful post, correct spelling and proper english. As long as you have internet, computer and are good at writing some what long reviews you have what they need.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like what has been said, just using the product is enough, plus a good and eloquent way of writing. It's similar to writing a movie review. All you need to do is to have watched the movie so that you could give an opinion about it.