What Saves More Money - Buying Or Renting Games?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Miaka_M • May 20, 2016.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. That would be too obvious, and if police were undercover trying to buy them, the pirates would get caught, and perhaps fined or something. It is more of a word of mouth sort of thing? There is always someone that you know who knows someone who pirates music and movies, if they are not doing it themselves. They will either get you the pirated media for free, or charge you a small fee.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I see. I remember your sister had a fake Windows 7 disc, right? So I guess she bought it from someone that she knows. Well I'm "lucky" that I live near a bunch of pirated stalls, and all I have to do is walk if I want bootlegged stuff, lol. They even take requests if you want something burned and they don't have it. Nice, isn't it?

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to play games at pch.com free to join and you can get prizes and cash and they really do payout too. If it's legal in your State there is a site I found I like a lot, prizes.com/games. I thought I could play there but, found I can't for we have to pay for playing games which is illegal here in HI, so that's that. I always look for game sites that has good reviews about paying out or where you can get prizes, so it will be worth the while playing games!

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, she didn't buy it. Someone that she knows must have downloaded it for her and burned it to a disc for her to install. It is all very hush hush over here. Never official enough or safe enough to be selling in established and official stores. LOL. Do they charge more for the requests?

5. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Easy to solve. Rent it if it is only a game that you are going to play once and last less than 8 hurs. Such as Call of Duy or Battlefield single player campaigns. If you have not interested in playing the core focus of these games that is the multiplayer mode, then is far better to just rent.

Value a game for how many hours of quality entertainment will bring you, like Dark Souls, more than 30 hours invested just for main story completion and another good hundred for extra content and replayability.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I see. Did the CD ever functioned properly? I remember your sister had troubles using that disc. My pirated ones were able to function well. No, they don't seem to charge more if you request for something, I remember they just listed down the titles that I said on a piece of paper. I never came back after that though. They have whole TV series discs too enclosed in larger plastic cases. Really nice pirated stuff, lol.

7. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I never rent games, but that is just a personal preference as I like to collect games. Overall though, renting will save you money on a lot of games. If a game is 10-20 hours long, a lot of people will easily beat this in a week, which would make redbox and gamefly both cheaper alternatives to buying. Online games is where this doesn't apply though because you may play the game for hundreds of hours, which would make renting unpractical.

8. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    If it's a game series you love and will end up spending hundreds of hours in multiplayer then buy brand new, if you want to save then the key is patience. I rarely spend more than 10 bucks on a game because I wait til after release, I think of it as being 8 months behind. There is always something new to play it's just a used copy post empty prerelease hype.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Her computer, to this day is not functional. I mean, if you turn it on it will work. But Windows 7 is still not doing the things that a legitimate copy of windows 7 would normally be able to do. She does not use it much at all these days, and opts to use her smartphone for online tasks.

10. Caffe

CaffeNew Member

Threads:
    Good question! Amazon's fees vary wildly, depending on the type of item you're selling. Sell a video game (or a book), and Amazon takes 15% of your selling price, while it will take only 8% if you sell a video game console. On the other hand, Amazon will also credit you a certain amount for postage -- on average, $3.99, so of course it's best to try to keep your shipping costs below that threshold. Using "media mail" instead of first class through the U.S. Post is great for actual "media" items -- books, anything on disk, etc. And, unless you're making a business out of selling on Amazon, there's no need to go crazy with packaging supplies; re-use a box or sturdy bubble mailer; as long as the item is well-protected, the buyer usually won't care about the aesthetics of the container.

If you sell a lot of stuff on Amazon (that is, if you expect to sell more than 40 items a month), it's worth signing up for a "pro-seller" account. I think the fee is currently $39.99 a month, and for that, some of the smaller fees are reduced or waived entirely.

Don't take my word as gospel, however; these fees are just off the top of my head!

eBay also calculates fees based on the type of item sold, and eBay's formula seems even more complex than Amazon's. In short (and remember, this is still off the top of my head), you can list something like 50 items per month with no listing fees (after that, it's $.30 per listing fee), and eBay keeps around 10% of your final selling price.

One advantage eBay has over Amazon is that eBay lets you determine your own shipping fees (which the buyer pays on top of the final selling price), while Amazon determines what it deems to be an appropriate shipping fee -- which is all the buyer is charged, and which is all you get to cover your costs of packaging and shipping.

There are many, many other pros and cons of each, but I'll stop here before I end up writing a book.

In the end, I would try selling a video game on Amazon first, and if it didn't sell after, say, a month or so, I'd pull the listing off Amazon and try it on eBay -- after, of course, I was certain there was enough demand for a particular title, and that the going price (among other sellers) would fetch enough to give me at least a small profit.

If not, there's always the good old garage sale! :)

11. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy them at launch, finish them quickly and resell while their value is high. Comes out to 50 cents or less a day sometimes, usually something like $10 to keep the game for a week or two. By not keeping games around, it keeps me from playing them compulsively too.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I think she should just try to use your original copy instead? Over here, the pirated ones that I have used functioned well, and the fact that the same registration code is being used for the pirated discs mean that you can use one original disc repeatedly.

13. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    Exactly.I bought used games and I kind of like it.If i want a new game feeling ,then I buy a new one, but if it's a game I want to try, I usually just buy a used one. I've never rented one, I don't like renting.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it just depends on the market you have locally. If you do your calculations right you'll end up with the right decision, but every place will usually have a different set of rules and prices so it's important to determine which one works best for you. For us, for example, all our rental stores charge a price that I think would be enough to just push me to get the game and just keep it to sell later on. Even then it still depends on whether or not the game is new though because I'd say this only works best with older games where you could just buy them brand new at a very low price and sell them later on for half of that which inevitably leaves you only having spend a fourth of the original price which amounts to about the same as what you'd pay for a rental without all the restrictions and limitations and risk.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't like renting either, but I won't rule it out altogether. I much prefer to own something, and then if I don't want it anymore after completing it, or not being able to complete it, then there are plenty of stores there are that I can sell the games back to.

16. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In my own opinion, certain games are so good that it's a better and cheaper idea to buy them rather than rent them. For instance, some classics like Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, or the many various Mario games would be candidates for the honor. On the other hand, renting might be a good idea to try out games in which your not sure of the quality. Note, if it turns out you like them, then you can also buy them.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer buying them. Everyone would like to be able to finish up a game and if we rent it we might have to keep paying until we are able to pass a game which can take months. If we buy it there is a risk of getting bored of it but there is always the option to sell it.

18. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    In the past I have rented games but that's mainly been the ones that I haven't been too sure about and games that I have liked the look of but wasn't willing to pay the full retail price for before I'd tried it first. These days though, especially in the UK there doesn't seem to be that many stores that do still rent games, but in the past I do think by renting them first, I will have saved quite a bit of money because there has been a few times when I've rented a game instead of buying it and been glad I did as I found it not to my liking at all!

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I look at it this way. If you purchase a game, you can keep it forever or sell it whenever you want to have a bit of extra money. If you rent, you lose the money and the game. You'd need to buy or rent it again if you want to play it and if it isn't available for rent, you'd need to buy a used one anyway and especially for old games.

20. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Well in case you're quick at beating an amusement this is much less expensive generally. That is a noteworthy master point. In case you're slower at beating amusements it may not be as bravo but rather that is such a tremendous point generally speaking, spending far less to get past the fundamental story. Be that as it may, what's the principle con to leasing recreations? You know where this one is going: you don't possess the diversion. Without a doubt, you could beat it for less cash than by purchasing an amusement, however you can't simply lift it up a month later and continue playing it since you've as of now exchanged it back in. You could just re lease it, genuine, however it's not as helpful as basically having the diversion prepared to go whenever you'd need. There are different advantages and disadvantages no doubt, however I need to state I think those are the tops for leasing: you can play the majority of the amusement for a small amount of the cost, yet you can't play it at whatever time you need since you don't really possess it.