What seasonings are you using most?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by prettycolors • Apr 22, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Apart from salt and pepper, what are you using to add flavor to your food?

Personally, I'm crazy for garlic. I add the thing in most of the dishes that allow it, usually just before they're done cooking to make sure the garlic flavor remains intact. I prefer fresh garlic, the powdered kind tastes differently to me (and it's more expensive!). Since I love spicy food, paprika is also used often in my cooking. Even better when what I cook needs to be colored in red :eek:

What about you?

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Was just about to say salt, I thought that would be too easy :p I suppose recently it's been parsley sauce, although I think it's only a current fad of mine. I usually use mayonnaise quite a lot but haven't been having it so much lately. Surprisingly I haven't actually tried most relishes so I'm sure there is a lot out there that I've yet to discover.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    The seasoning that I use the most is onion and garlic power along with my season salt. It gives my food a really great taste and flavor. I use to use Mrs. Dash because they say that is healthy for you but the brand i purchase didn't have a taste to it so I went back to my normal seasoning.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Powdered garlic definitely tastes much different from fresh - but honestly I like them both, and there are some dishes that I prefer powdered garlic over fresh garlic. For example, I don't like using fresh garlic on home fries because it often gets far too burnt before the potatoes are done cooking.

More recently, I started using smoked paprika in my dishes, which is amazing. I've heard it described as the "bacon" of spices, and that pretty much sums it up very well. It's got way more flavor than your standard paprika, and is fantastic on just about anything. I especially love using it in a home made dry rub. There is a spice blend from Lawry's called Fire Roasted Chili & Garlic that also has a ton of smoked paprika in it, which is also really good.

I use Morton's Season-All in a lot of dishes, in place of just regular salt. I like it in pasta sauce when I am making a meat sauce, but it's also great on stuff like grilled chicken. It's even good on home fries.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Anything garlic but in recent, I've come to appreciate toasted onion powder and dried herbs. Seasonings that contain chipotle pepper have been my go-to when I don't feel up to a lot of measuring. Other recent finds are General Tsao's sauce, toasted onions (not just great on holiday bean casseroles, they bring new life to salads), and brown sugar bourbon rub.

Things I'm looking forward to adding are white bbq sauce, apple salad dressing, and prime rib rub.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use garlic salt quite a bit. I also buy a lot of Asian sauces like Korean Gochujang, Huy Fong Sriracha and the somewhat racist sounding Ah So Sauce which is used for making red roast pork and Chinese spareribs. My daughter likes the Heinz balsamic vinegar flavored ketchup.

7. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Bare in mind that I'm 100& not the best cook in here :p
    But if I have mustard and garlic mayonnaise I'm all good...
    I also use a lot of pepper for my stakes.

But you shouldn't ever take my advices when it comes to cooking...
    I'm really looking forward to getting a bit of down time and stepping up my kitchen game!

8. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of garlic too. I'm pretty sure it oozes from my pores. I prefer powdered garlic, actually, because I don't like to bite into the pieces of fresh garlic, even if they are minced. Also, fresh garlic tends to go bad before I can use all of it.

Other spices I like to use are onion powder (again, don't like biting into actual onions), ranch, and italian seasoning. I love flavorful dishes so its rare if I do NOT use a combination of several spices.

9. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    Absolutely! Like many other posters in this thread, I am completely on board the garlic bandwagon. In fact, really what I want is my very own garlic bandwagon, so that I don't have to share any of my precious precious garlic with anyone else. My girlfriend and I consume so much garlic that vampires burst into flame the second they enter our home. In addition to the aforementioned protection from the undead, garlic has a whole host of benefits for those that eat it - check out this article:

But, the thing that I like the most about it is just how many different ways that it can taste. Powdered garlic is different from fresh garlic, which is different from minced garlic from a jar. Saute it, and it brings out something new... roast it and there is a completely new flavor unlocked. Then there is garlic salt, which obviously tastes different because there's salt in it, but the garlic itself takes on new taste properties in this form. I am continually amazed at the amont of different flavors that can all come from this one little plant. I have probably seven different forms of garlic in my pantry right now, and I will fight anyone that attempts to take any of them from me ;-)

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I use a lot of garlic. I used to use it in powder form but have started to mince and brown it in some olive oil and I love the flavor it gives my cooking. In the summer I use a lot of fresh herbs so now it is a lot of chives, fresh basil and parsley.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I actually do kind of like garlic powder and I even sometimes put it in my rice so it has some flavor in addition to the dish I'm eating alongside it. Another favorite of mine is curry powder, and it also use that for some of my rice dishes as well and I especially like using it for fried rice. I sprinkle a bit of it at the end to add a bit of an aroma and it also adds a lot of spice and flavor but I'm careful not to add too much since it does tend to become overpowering.