What services are worth paying for?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Strykstar • Sep 29, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Just like everyone else, I use lots of different software and different services, whether just on my PC and online, but I usually try to find a free alternative.
    I have a friend who paid lots of money for Photoshop for work but he also pays for online storage with Dropbox, do you pay for any online services?

2. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I pay for my World of Warcraft subscription if that counts as paid online service :D But anyway more of a product than a service, I paid for my copy of Windows 7 Home edition which I am using right now.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I pay for a lot for VPS hosting - but I feel it's worth it, mainly because I want things to run fast and stay online. Note, I also have another hosting account for around 10 dollars a month and that thing sometimes goes offline and would probably run slow if I put my websites on it - simply because it's not a powerful enough package.

Anyway, though, I realize some people need cheaper hosting packages and cheaper things, in general, but ultimately, it depends on a very personal situation. In other words, exactly how much of a certain resource do you need? For instance, I like free email, because I'm not an email fanatic.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think this answer is something totally personal, because what must be taken into consideration is the need of each person before deciding to make the purchase of something specific. :)

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, I don’t want to spend for any software. With the anti-virus, I have availed of the free and downloadable AVG and Avast. For the photo editor, I am using the old version of Adobe Photoshop and MS Office which have the license bundled when we bought our home desktop in 2009. Now that I am going to purchase a new laptop, I probably have to pay for the licenses.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I try to use only free software other than my antivirus software. I don't have the extra money to buy software especially if there is a free version of it. Of course, free versions such as Dropbox don't give you the storage capacity with the free version but for me it is enough space. I guess spending money on software depends on how much you are going to use it and whether you need all the features of the paid versions.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the services I feel are good enough are - Google Drive (when you want more than 15GB space), Office 365, Pocket, Di.fm and Netflix. You can also go for the Amazon Prime. But all of those services are differently priced. So you may want to consider before subscribing. And find out where your money goes into that. I had hard time trying to balance the subscription amount lately. So I'd not choose too much into subscription packages.

8. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest no, I don't pay for many online services at the moment. If there would be anything to pay for it would just be a good anti virus protection system or software that can help me draw and edit. I try to save up and not to spend a large amount online.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There are so many free options out there that it is worth exploring them for most software. The ones that you really need though, for me anything for work, I usually just spend the money though.