What shampoo for cats do you use?

Discussion in Pets started by lindbergh • Apr 27, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you bathe your cat? Our maid does. However she doesn't have a shampoo that she can use for bathing our cat. Can you recommend a shampoo that can be good for cats? An insecticidal shampoo perhaps? And maybe with conditioner too?

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    The shampoo I use on my cat, during those very rare times that I have to bathe him, is the same shampoo I use. I use an organic mint shampoo from the Whole Foods instore brand, 365. Though, keep in mind, I wash him very very rarely. My friend washes her cat about every other week, and she really likes EarthBath cat shampoo.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Huh? Why would you even bother to use shampoo on a cat? I use regular soap to bathe my cat and he seems ok with it. I mean, he doesn't really care, lol. I rarely bathe him though, because he hates getting wet. Why do you need an insecticidal shampoo for cats? Cats aren't known to have fleas like dogs.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I use liquid dishwashing soap in lemon scent as a shampoo for bathing my cats. I notice that this keeps the fleas at bay. My cats go out and wander in the neighborhood. I cannot control who my cats mingle with. During summer, we bathe our cats weekly. We live in a tropical country where it's humid or dry most of the time. I would like to believe our cats appreciate baths since they don't make any noise during bath time.

5. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    Oh man. Not a good idea to bathe cats that frequently. It strips away the oils in their skin and can cause their skin to dry out :( They can groom themselves just fine. Especially shouldn't use human shampoo, try to find something mild and sensitive or something made specifically for kittens/cats.

I only bathed my cat a few times. Once, when I first got her, and she had fleas. I used the Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo, the sensitive skin kind, and made sure I didn't put too much on her. Used the same stuff again when she ran outside for a few days and came back with fleas, again :(

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I find the No Tears stuff to work great. I'm always so concerned about it getting near her face because she gets very mobile in the bath. Although, I would also like to second the other person's comment about making it a point not to clean them too often. The truth is they're meant to clean themselves.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never given any of my cats a bath. They absolutely hate to get wet and I don´t want to stress them. Once one of them fell into a dirty pond near my house and almost died from the shock. I had to wash her with warm water and baby shampoo to get rid of the foul smell. It was a messy and traumatic affair for both of us. I can´t imagine washing my cats on a regular basis, unless there is some kind of emergency.

8. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I make up a soap using liquid castile soap (Dr. Bonner's) and water. I add whatever essential oil that they may need at the time.

9. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I never had a cat for a pet and all the while I thought that cats can't go bathing. So I was really surprise to see this topic and felt the need to take a peek inside. :D All these time I thought that cats just lick themselves clean, like what I usually see on TV. :)

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    People shampoo their cats? Is there actually a shampoo specifically made for cats? I thought that cats just self cleaned and didn't need to be bathed. How often does your maid shampoo your cat??

11. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We don't really bath our cat often. We will when we have to but we need to be ready to get scratches everywhere. We use just a regular shop and avoid applying any close to the cat's mouth.