What Sport do you prefer to lose weight?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by TuRon Davis • Sep 4, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I loving playing an array of sports, but I have to say basket ball is my sport of choice to really melt so fat right off of my body. Basketball is a non-stop moving sport that really burns calories and improves strength and overall endurance as well. What sport do you prefer to play for fitness purposes?

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Any sport where there's explosive action, like sprinting.
    Basketball is cool to watch. Not really a sport I like to play... But it will do the trick!

I think that if we're talking optimal results, I'd probably go with swimming...
    Sadly, I rarely swim.

3. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great point you make about swimming. I didn't think that, swimming works every muscle in the body and is non stop calorie burn. However, like yourself, i rarely swim myself. In addition, just plain old jumping jacks seem to help.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very athletic but I'm a huge fan of playing volleyball and swimming. Every chance I get, I try to get out and do one or the other.

5. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Losing weight really is 70% diet, but after that it's important to remember that your body will quickly adapt and become increasingly efficient with any sport you take up. Over time you will use less energy to perform whatever sport. So it is really about training and mixing it up to keep your body working hard. If you're into basketball, start with a different warm up. For example, you might start with sprints one day, next day push ups and sit ups, the following day jumping jacks, and so on. The following week add in something to finish, like a 3 km run. Mix it up to lose the extra weight, and watch your diet.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Sports are not really ideal for weight loss for me. Are we counting swimming here? I don't swim competitively but it is my best method of weight loss. Football is good but I don't do it very often.

7. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    Swimming is a great physical exercise that works all of your muscle groups and has very little stress on your joints because there is no impact to the ground.

8. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    For weight loss definitely anything cardio based is ideal and my favourite. Jogging/sprinting is good but I've always found swimming to be more enjoyable so I've stuck with that when trying to lose weight.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of the time, basketball is how I get my cardio workout in as well. It's just absolutely perfect as a cardio workout with all the running/sprinting/cutting/jumping/getting down in a squat, etc. It's basically a giant plyometric cardio workout in game format. The beauty is that every game is different, so you'll be doing different moves that challenge you every game.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer running or jogging. I don't like basketball or tennis because I am not very agile, and I am scared of balls. I remember one time, when I was a child, I was hit on the head by a basketball because my neighbors were playing. It really hurt. Since then, I got scared of balls being passed around by people.

11. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of ball hockey as a fitness exercise. It's so intense and you use so much strength, skill, and energy to play well. I'm also a runner and cyclist, but I don't think those are the types of sports you're looking for. If so, cycling is be my go-to for losing weight. I've lost 90 pounds since January, so it works for me :)

12. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I play tennis to keep me in shape. First I started it as just an activity to do, but now it has turned into something I do seriously. I now have been playing tennis for leagues and have invested so much money in it. I break my strings every few weeks , so I end up finding the best and cheapest strings on Ebay.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite sport is dancing. You can consider dancing a sport, right? I have always loved to dance. Now that I am in a new gym, they have dance classes available every day, which makes me really happy. I'm not really good at any sort of sport, so I say dancing is my favorite and the one I'm best at.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play a lot of tennis when I was trying to get into shape and now that I'm in shape I tend to just maintain it by doing an hour of walking in the treadmill. I also practice Taekwondo in my spare time so I guess you can count it as one.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't play any sport to be able to lose weight, but I jog to lose those unwanted fats, and I have to say that it has been quite effective for me, and the results are quick if I do it in the morning at least 3 times a week. In less than I month a lot of people have commented that I lost weight.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    All aerobic sports are effective to lose weight given that there's enough amount of intensity to use up those excess fat. But I have heard that those that are more effective are those that force you to HIIT. One is tennis. So I would suggest that sports if you are really wanting to lose weight. And running!

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't really do it as sport, but I like swimming to keep fit. I also used to play basketball but I eventually lost interest in it because I was never really that much into it in the first place. I also have joined a few marathon runs but I mostly just like to keep things light in my exercise regime so that I don't end up pushing myself too hard and thus losing interest.

18. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I was once into basketball but I find that my heart is too weak for this sort of game. I can't even manage to run two laps on the court let alone play a 12 minute round running back and forth and just jumping and squatting. But I did find a sport the was fit for me, it was boxing. I love boxing and it has a lot of benefits for me. It can be used for self defense, as an exercise, hobby or even a therapy because if I'm really upset or angry, I tend to pour all of my frustrations and beat up the punching bag.

19. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    If I was looking just to lose weight then I'd go running, but that really neglects the whole upper half of your body, I'd much prefer to go swimming if you want to get the complete package, you would lose weight, get in better shape and also tone all your muscles.
    Besides that, any martial art is pretty much a full exercise, but that's not as easy to get into if you are overweight.

20. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have had very good luck with weight-lifting plus biking to loose fat weight. Do not use steroids, but a good high-protein diet along with the weights. The added muscle burns calories even when you are sleeping. and the lifting uses up lots of calories. You may gain some muscle mass, but that is healthy when the muscle gain comes from exercise. Steroids can lead to very unhealthy muscle gain without the cardio-vascular gains to support the muscle, and tendons and ligaments don't gain strength to match.