What sports is your way to decompress?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Apr 24, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do swimming and running to relieve my stress. Instead to make me tired, they make me rejuvenated and calm that I think sports are very effective tools get out of stress. They also make me more disciplined. After I exercise, I don't feel lazy to attend to my responsibilities, I do them and I am more able to focus.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Running and dancing!! I love running when I'm stressed out because I almost feel like I'm running away where my problems and concerns can't reach me! I get my adrenaline pumping really high and it's such a great feeling! Same with dancing, but when I dance I simply forget about my concerns. Those are both great ways to ease up the stress, so they are naturally my favorite things to do at the gym!

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Basketball! While I can't play for too long anymore, due to some knee issues, I always have a great time playing some full-court 5on5. What I like about my gym is there is always a game going on, so we never have to go looking for people to play.

Another sport I do enjoy playing to relax is golf. I accepted long ago I wouldn't be any good, so I just go out and have a good time with friends for a few hours.

4. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    I used to LOVE swimming all the time as a kid. Now I have long periods of not doing so. It's probably been a full year no since I bothered swimming and that was at a beach. My feelings for it haven't changed at all, just been caught up in life I guess. My number one stress reliever has always been basketball though. =p I always did a combination of basketball and then winding down in the pool to ease my mind. The majorty of the time I preferred to just practice my shot if I as extremely mad. Didn't want to take it out on anyone on the court. Something about the court puts me in another world.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love swimming too and playing badminton. I mostly swim because it totally calms me and i don't know, i guess i just love the water. I also play badminton and to be honest I'm not so good with the sport or any types of sports for that matter, i just love to pretend I'm a pro. :p

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Power-walking, usually. If that doesn’t work, then hill sprints will do the trick. Yoga as well, but sometimes it actually brings up stuff that I’ve been repressing, haha. Although it does make it easier to deal with said stuff, so that’s gotta count for something.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walking out in nature, and stretching, especially when I do the stretches under the hot water in the shower, or out on my balcony among the trees and wildlife. I have equipment indoors for stretching, as well as resistance bands, but I definitely prefer to do the exercises themselves outside, where I can breathe in the fresh air, which also helps me to relax.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have a bike for my exercise and relaxation. As an amateur biker, I get a high when I go out of the village with a group and try road cycling. But when I got a leg injury, that made me stop. So now I have no more athletic activity to speak of although we occasionally go on vacation in beach resort. So far, swimming is the only activity that I have for now and that's only during our short vacations.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a few sports that I partake in, and they help me to decompress. But the main one that I enjoy the most would have to be badminton. I absolutely love it!! It is such a great way to release stress - you are basically smashing a shuttle cock with a badminton racket as hard as you please, and it is so much fun to see who will break the rally and get the points.

10. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I love my bikes!
    I could get on them and ride for hours and hours.
    I also like to lift weights.
    I drink beer too but I don't think ya'll would consider that a sport...lol

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love swimming, too, but sadly I rarely get to these days. Lately I've been really into kickboxing. I'm trying to lose weight as well so on top of blowing off steam it also burns a lot of calories.

12. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I like being in nature, and I combine fast walking and jogging. When I am inside, yoga and Pilates really give me a relaxing and strengthening stretch, and the deep breathing used with it relaxes me and helps my muscles stretch. I love dancing too. There is something about moving my body to the music that is so fun and expressive! At first, you do not even realize you are exercising.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't play any sports, so for me it's just good 'ol walking and running. Actually, when I'm stressed, I don't turn to sports. I'd rather sleep or watch tv.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dancing! To me it's the best exercise to have some fun while working out and also forget problems and just let you body lose from the day by day tension. I am currently looking for somewhere where I can take dance lessons.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to take long walks and dance to help keep the stress down. I just recently started to Hulu Hoop, which is doing a good job of reducing the love handles and the stress.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Almost any form of aerobic activity whether it be dancing, hiking, using a treadmill/stepper or attending a class generally works for me - however that said - as my favorite way of de-stressing - is to hop on my bike and go cross country mountain biking for a couple of hours - I normally do that - as not only is it great fun and totally exhilarating - but I always return fully relaxed, recharged and able to deal with anything that may be likely to be thrown my way

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love throwing a football around. I'll play with my kids and I find it's a great stress reliever. For team sports I love playing volleyball, I play in a league so I get out one night a week to play which I look forward to. I love going to the gym and using a stairclimber too. Weight training is another way for me to destress. I find it's hard to make time to fit physical fitness into your day but it's so important to do it for your both your mental and physical well being.

18. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Swimming is my go to whenever I want to get a good workout in without feeling too tired afterwards. I really want to start playing tennis, but I need to find a partner to play with me before that.

19. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I like to play soccer with my family because my daughter is currently in that sport, so it's fun for us to practice with her and just get exercise. I also like to just go on walks too. Especially now that the weather is so cool and perfect. Basketball is another good one. We haven't played in a while, but it's another fun one I enjoy.