What store would you never shop at ?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by xcmiller93x • May 6, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    What store would you never shop at for clothes? I probably just wouldn't shop anywhere too expensive like Express.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't shop at a thrift store. I'm not too big on buying used clothes, and the store smells like stale popcorn and BO. I haven't shopped there since I have been an adult, but as a kid I did get clothes from there. No matter how many times I washed the clothes, they still had that smell to them. When I see clothes from thrift shops, I think someone died and they donated their clothes. I know this is not always true, but the thought is still in my mind.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't shop at Walmart for clothes. Once in a while I will look, but I don't like Walmart clothes. My experience has been that they don't last long, especially the kids clothes. I would rather shop the clearance rack at Kohls for clothes.

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I never shop for used clothes, mainly due to hygienic purposes.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I just do not buy at stores that have a reputation for pay9ing their staff too little or have poor policies. I do not want to support bad practices anymore, even if it is indirectly. So, if I discover that a store buys from suppliers linked to poor conduct or bad staff practices - I will not buy from them.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I never would shop at a store that sells used clothes and other stuff. I am for some reason being creeped out knowing that some of them used to belong to some dead person. I wouldn't really shop at LV, Gucci and other high-end designer items because most of their stuff can already feed a country in Asia. I only have designer items unless they're gifts but shop? No way.

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I would never buy at a second hand clothes store for hygienic reasons too. They may be clean and almost new, but the idea of wearing something some stranger used creeps me out a little bit.

I'd never buy at a new store that didn't accept PayPal, but just bank transfers. At least PayPal has disputes in case anything goes wrong.

8. xtina3907

xtina3907Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with buying clothes at a thrift store...that's what a washing machine is for! I don't shop at Aeropostale. I don't like their clothes. Shirts that I have bought from there always draws up in the washing machine the very first time. I never get to wear them more then twice.

9. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    Since online stores became popular, I have not visited many stores except those that sell fresh food. Doing research online leads you to the best possible price for an item as long as the shipping costs are minimal or free.

I am retired so have plenty of time to return items by mail if needed, but that has not happened often. What is important to me is the research that I can do prior to selecting clothing, shoes, gifts, toys, etc. to find the best quality for the lowest price. As most of you know, checking out the warehouse deals on Amazon is a great way to save money and helps you find an interesting gift as well.

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Macy's! We went there when my daghter was in her teens. J-Lo had just came out with her first perfume and my daughter wanted to try it. I was just a little ways down the counter from her when she spritzed a bit of their sample bottle on her wrists. The lady behind the counter yelled at her for trying it. I mean she really yelled at her! I walked over and told the employee to get her manager, NOW. I told the manager that I had indented on purchasing the J-Lo perfume as well as a $200 leather coat. I had actually came into the store that day just to get that coat. I told the manager that I would NOT buy anything now or ever again due to his rude employee.

11. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    If it was a sample perfume, why would the employee yell at her? o:

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I was wondering... weren't the samples put out for just exactly that purpose? I can only imagine that that employee must have been having a bad day and looking for someone to take it out on.

13. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    That's probably what happened.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    She thought my daughter was going to steal it. She judged my daughter based on her look, which at the time she was looking quite gothic. She also didn't realize that the girls mother was standing just a few feet away. I guess I didn't look gothic enough to be thought of as her mother. Personally, it should not have mattered what she looked like. She was a teenage girl wanting to sample the perfume and nothing more. Now if my daughter would have walked out of the store with the bottle, I would have yelled at her myself!
    As far as me letting her look gothic, I had four kids and I know dang good and well there are much bigger problems to deal with than a "look". I am happy to say that she did not get into alcohol or drugs. She did not get pregnant or catch any STDs and she graduated high school and is now in college. Oh, and the gothic look is long gone but I still refuse to shop at Macy's!

15. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I don't think pre-owned clothes are more unsanitary than new ones. I've read many new clothes are saturated with chemicals that can be particularly dangerous to children.
    I won't walk into Nieman Marcus as I can't afford most of it, and some of the prices just make me sad. I start thinking about the poor in third world countries making $1000.00 a pair pants and it just seems so wrong. I'm not the kind of person who knocks the rich for being able to buy all those clothes, yay for them, but something about Neiman just gets to me.

16. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty much only shop thrift stores, unless I really need something and the thrifts don't have it. Thrift stores support non-profit charities. They keep useful, usable items out of the waste stream. By buying used, you are not directly supporting the exploitation of third world workers.

Used clothing is not saturated in the chemicals that are used in new clothing. That "new" smell is actually petroleum based chemicals used for dyes and processing the fibers.

17. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like shopping at places like American Express or Hollister simply because I don't like the feel of the store in general. That and the prices for all those clothes feel like knives through my budget.

18. pizzaz007

pizzaz007New Member

Threads:
    I Don't Use Wal-Mart For Shopping For Clothes. I Have Seen Many people continue to support Wal-Mart because they do not think they can afford to shop anywhere else. There is an element of truth to this, and of course, it is part of Wal-Mart's plan -- kill off every low-cost competitor. In short, Wal-Mart creates poverty and then it becomes the store of last resort for victims of poverty. I began my "loathe affair" with the company while I was still a struggling graduate student, so I sympathize with this argument, but I have managed to stay away for more than a decade.

19. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    A place where they are selling used items.

I would rather buy a cheap, but new item. There is something about wearing used clothes that I do not find appealing.

20. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Outside of a used clothes store, I haven't heard of a store that I wouldn't give a chance to take my money. When I go shopping, I know what I want, I just have to find the place that has it.