What Time Do You Do The Laundry?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Oct 16, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An old neighbor of mine had a good routine as she used to launder sheets when she cleaned vacation properties. She would put the load on at night before going to sleep then took them out to dry overnight and took them outside first thing in the morning so they would smell fresh.

Obviously this only works in place where the weather is dry, but it used to save her time and also energy as there would be enough time to dry all the sheets.

I try to do it early in the day, but sometimes doing it last thing at night and letting it dry overnight sames time and space, especially if the airer is in the lounge or on radiators.

2. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I like to do laundry on weekends early in the morning. This gives the clothes time to dry by nighttime so I can fold them and put them away.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the time of year. In spring and summer, I'll do the laundry first thing in the morning so I can hang it straight out to dry. In the colder months, I'll wash in the evening when the radiators come on so I can take advantage of the heat for drying.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our household there are six people. Three adults and three children, and so with the kids always doing things at school, as well as after school activities, they always need their clothes washed and whatnot. It is the same for us adults in the house. We do laundry mostly when the basket is full, or when one color has amounted to a full load of washing.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    We usually do laundry when the laundry bags are full to the brim. Then we take a trip to the laundry mat since we don't have washing machines in the house. It must be nice to have a washing machine in the winter so you don't have to go outside in the cold with stinky clothes. Then it only gets worse when you drop some clothes on the ground and have to shake the snow off.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    All day everyday for me. Not really, but I tend to do my laundry in the early mornings so that my house smells good all day. I also have the most energy to fold it all and put it away in the early hours of the day. I am not sure if there is a real energy savings there, but it is convenient for me.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I washed a load yesterday, and let it sit there all day. I'm heading out to do errands in a few minutes, and when I get back, I'll clear out the dryer and put that load away, and re-start the load I did yesterday. I don't do laundry at a set time, rather, I work it around how I'm feeling and what else is going on. I try to do it when there will be enough time for the last load to finish in the dryer before I go to bed, because I don't like to go to sleep with the dryer running, just in case of a fire, and I don't run either machine when I'm leaving the house, just in case of fire or water overflow.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no set time to do laundry. I just do it when I need to. I will generally do it during the day however, than letting it sit to evening. If there is something I want to wear later that day, I will do it in the morning. It is generally the easiest thing to do. I don't mind doing laundry, but I don't like the whole folding clothes thing. I try to put as many things on hangers as possible.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do my laundry early at least 2x or sometimes 3x a week. I don't like to pile it up for it gets to heavy when I bring it indoors for drying. We have a door hanging arm that you can put hangers in its slot. As I got older I like small loads to carry indoors.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, my preferred method would be to do it at night and hang it to dry overnight because the sun here is intense and bleaches the most vibrant of colours! But the lady we have come in and do our laundry and ironing comes in the morning, and does the washing first, when the sun is at its hottest. I'm not sure how we can change that. The saving grace is that with the sun being so hot, and the fact that we often have a nice breeze blowing, we can often get them off the drying line in about 2 hours :)

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I always do laundry after seven at night or on weekends. Here in Ontario we have time of use for hydro, which means there are peak times in the day when hydro is in high demand and hence has the highest cost per kwh and an off peak time when the demand is the lowest and the price you pay is the cheapest. Needless to say I do my laundry during the off peak times. I only wish I had the luxury of doing laundry when I wanted. If I choose to do laundry during peak times I would be paying double the electricity costs than during the off peak times.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually end up at the laundromat right before lunch on the weekends. It’s kind of the worst time to go, so I try to get there earlier if possible. This does not always happen. This is probably about 75% of the reason I want to move, haha. Would love to have a washer/dryer handy so I could save myself the hassle.

13. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala Is the line where you hang the washing (or she does) a single line, or is there some way you could shelter the items from the hot sun, with maybe some sort of inexpensive lightweight netting on top, so the sun wouldn't be able to bleach out the colors in the items?

14. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    I do mine whenever I have a loads worth. It doesn't matter to me what time of day it is, although at night is when my energy savings kicks in with my electric company. It's a plan I'm on where my electricity costs less during off-peak hours. Washers and dryers typically use a lot of electricity, so I like to think that I'm saving a little change whenever I do my washing at night.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Hey Diane Lane! Thanks for the advise, but we live in a rented apartment and the landlord is a bit precious with stuff like that, sadly! We have a communal drying section, with a lot of clothes horses. I do wish the area was shaded, but I know my landlord wouldn't pay to have it done. Yet you just know the minute we tried to do it ourselves, they'd be straight down our throat.

16. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I try to start the first load of my kids' laundry on Sunday night. I put the dirtiest clothes in the wash and let them soak in the detergent and water all night. This has actually saved me hours of stain treatment and rewashing. That extra long soak gets clothes cleaner than anything. Then I get as much done as early as possible on Monday and try to have everything folded and put away by Monday night.

I hate laundry and I hate having a little bit to do every day. I'd rather just get it all done for the week at once.

I also use the washing/drying cycles as my "timer" for getting other tasks done at home, so laundry often dictates my cleaning schedule and keeps me on track all day. (Like, I'll say, "I have to have this floor vacuumed and mopped before the wash cycle ends." Silly, but it works.)

17. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have a washer and dryer in our home so we have to go to the laundry mat. We can wait until the end of the week to get all of our laundry done. There are only a few occasions where we have doe it where we live so we'll do it in the middle of the week. But usually we wait until Friday or Saturday to go and do it all in one lump trip. We try and get it done early in the day as well. But no matter what time we go there's a ton of people. But it's a bummer if we can't get it done until evening time because then it's just going to sit until the next day when I feel l‪ike folding it all. I really don't like folding laundry either because there's so many clothes! It feels like it's never ending.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to do the laundry when a load of dirty clothes need to be washed. I don't like the loads to pile up, when there is a pile of clothes that need to be washed I will do them in the morning if I have a lot to do that day. When I call for all dirty clothes and someone does not put their clothes in the laundry room they will have to wait for the next wash or do it them selves. I do not wash laundry every day. I do the laundry because my when my daughter does the laundry I always have clothes with bleach stains on them. I have more messed up clothes from bleach.

19. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I do the laundry in the morning once a week. Then I dump the clean and dried clothes on my freshly made bed. That way, I have to put them away before I go to sleep that night. Otherwise, clean clothes ends up all wrinkled from sitting in the basket for days or if I fold it and put it in the basket, it may never get put away.

20. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I only do a couple of loads per week, and tend to leave the clothes and other items in the dryer until I run out of things to wear, or need the dryer for a new load.

@Lushlala@Lushlala Ugh I know what you mean. I have a not so great landlady right now, and I try never to call her unless it's absolutely necessary. Even if I do, she doesn't fix things and always complains about being broke (despite owning several rental properties as well as her own home), so there's really no point in bothering to call her. She wouldn't care if I made improvements to the place, since of course she would benefit from that, but certainly doesn't want to pay for anything. At least it sounds as if there's plenty of room to dry your clothes and other items there :).