What To Advice Your Young Adult In Year 12 Vce: Who's Secretly Nervous About His Future?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by EditorsRHumansToo! • Apr 22, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    You knew how it felt. You were young once. Career wise, it was difficult to decide what we really wanted to be and do with life-- to make something of ourselves. My father wanted me to become an MD. I loved him and I went through B.S. Pre-Med, but I became a primary teacher after graduation. Because, that was who I wanted to be. He said, "there's no money in teaching." So, I disappointed him.

What do you advice? What do yu suggest to your young adult child? Or just be supportive and be a cheerleader for him whatever choice he makes-- even if his/her "dream" isn't a "good idea of a choice" in your opinion?

What if he chooses the Military service? ...

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe it's a really good idea to concentrate your natural inclinations, your strengths and talents, and pursue something that you enjoy doing. What is the point of earning a lot of money when you don't like what you are doing? If you have the opportunity to further your education, then chose carefully as you will be investing many years in it, and later you will probably be continuing on the path that you or someone else has chosen for you. The longer you continue doing something that doesn't really suit you, the longer it will take later to break away from the mold. So, do what your inner voice is telling you, and don't pay too much attention to what other people say. In the end it is your life, and you will have to live it.

3. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Thank you. The Year 12 class will be attending a Career Path Session. I will encourage him about his natural inclination. And what he enjoys doing and sees himself becoming to be. He might look into the army and study to become a mechanic or operations engineer. That's what he was contemplating about. I hope he won't be called to fight in the war (?).

#3Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    You can't live your child's life for them, and you can't expect them to be something you want. Most people didn't get to do something and try to inflict a standard on their child based on what happened to them. If you want your child to be happy, you teach them good values and responsibility. Money is important, but it isn't everything. A teacher who knows how to save and manage money can be better off in the long run than a doctor who doesn't draw a salary and depends on visits from patients.

5. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I'm sorry you feel like you were a disappointment! I'd rather know a teacher who wanted to be a teacher, than a doctor who did it to please his parents.

It's all about supporting your child and being their biggest cheerleader. You don't have to like what they choose as a profession - you're not going to be the one doing it! Parents are always saying they just want their children to be happy. Let them be who they are meant to be, and they will be happy.