What To Do With An Old Pair Of Jeans

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Clairelouise84 • May 20, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of jeans that are in perfectly good condition but no longer fit me, they have no holes or anything but they would not fetch enough to bother selling them. I don;t want to part with them but they are miles too big to take in now.
    Any ideas on what I can do with them so I do not have to bin them? I don't get the legs out so shorts are off limits but any advice would be appreciated!

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can make a skirt out of the jeans, there are many suggestions on Pinterest on what to do with old jeans. If the jeans are too large to take in and have them fit correctly you may want to cut them up and use as a blanket or pillow. I saw a book cover made of old jeans that was really nice. Have fun.

3. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    You can also make a purse out of the jeans. There are YouTube videos showing how to do this as well as many Pinterest posts on how to do this. I've also made purses from t-shirts. It's fun to make something new out of something old. It makes something you were going to throw out into something useful.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I normally just make some shorts out of my old jeans. The "ripped look" is "in" now, so it would look pretty stylish. You can just wear it at home as well, doesn't have to be out in public, but since its out of the question. Maybe you can me a jean pillow (case) and sew on some sequins and jewels. Doesn't have to be one to sleep one, but one to add to decor? Could be pretty cool :D

5. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    Some of my favorite things to do with my siblings old denim is to do interior decor projects. I usually do a throw pillow. I can't sew unfortunately, so I usually get a friend to help. But it's a pretty straightforward diy project.

6. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the process of making a denim throw and have been saving old denims for years. I cut them into 6" squares and sew them together. I am half way through making my throw and it is getting really heavy.
    I like other denim crafts like sewing pockets of old jeans onto a piece of material and using it as an organiser for little things.
    Rag rugs also look good with strips of denim and I know someone who knits with thin strips of denim!

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will usually wear my jeans until they're pretty worn out and ugly. I don't enjoy shopping for jeans very much so when i find a good pair I'll wear them a long time. So I will always just donate them when I cannot use them anymore. I actually just donated a handful of jeans this week, and bought a couple new pairs to replace them!

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have made really cute shorts out of my old jeans. If they are already too worn out to wear, I would just probably thrown them away or just what the others have mentioned, you can be a bit artsy-fartsy and make a purse out of it. :)

9. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I had jeans I never wanted to part with before so I searched online and found multiple tutorials that teach you how to turn your jeans into a bag or purse. There are a lot of ways to do them so you can just search online and see which tutorial you prefer. It felt great having my jeans with me all the time but not necessarily having to wear them. Plus a lot of people complimented my jean bag too! Who knows? Maybe you can turn it into a business. Good luck!

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally, I would simply donate them to a charity shop. Someone else might fit into them perfectly, and love them. I couldn't really be bothered "remodeling" my old clothes. If they are still good enough to wear, I'd give them to someone who appreciates them. And if that isn't a reality, I will just cut up the clothes and use them as rags for around the house. I guess I am very unsentimental. :)

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the other posters. You can make a purse, a phone bag, and many other things with jeans that no longer fit you. Try browsing Pinterest so you can have an idea on what you can do. Of course, you can always donate your pants to those who will need them. :)

12. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    My first advice would be to donate them. There are a lot of people who need jeans, especially since you said they're still in good condition. If you feel too attached with it that you just want to look for ways to customize it so it doesn't go to waste, try searching Youtube videos for DIY tutorials (bags/pouches/coin purses/decorations). There are a lot, I'm sure.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely suggest donating them. Since you can't wear them as intended. There are lot of folks in this country who could definitely use them. A good pair of jeans are pretty expensive, and if you're poor that's an expense you might have trouble with. So donating them to a Goodwill or Salvation Army. If you want to get some cash out of them, I'd take them to Plato's Closet, and you might get a couple of bucks out of them if they are in good condition.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would probably donate them, since they are still in great condition. You will probably make someone's day when they find that nice pair of jeans.

If not, there are also lots of things that can be made from denim. It's such durable material that it's perfect for making other items. I saw an entire set of luggage made from denim once. Pinterest has some crazy good ideas.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just browse some videos on Youtube that tell you how to recycle old jeans. Or you can just try giving your jeans to a relative that can wear them. If you really want to sell them, just be patient, because you'll never know who will be interested to buy your jeans at your specified price on Ebay.

16. Heather_Rose

Heather_RoseNew Member

Threads:
    If they have a little stretch to them, you can easily make a simple corset-style top, with or without a sewing machine. I've done this with a couple pairs of old stretch jeans. Cut off the legs, and use the thigh to calf portions. Cut the inseam, then stitch together the back. Hem the top and bottom, and the two pieces in the front so they almost meet. I made loops for the front lacing by threading yarn through the folded seam in the front, tying knots to keep the yarn out in even loops up the front. Then thread braided or chain-stitched yarn through the loops to hold together the front. Somehow the curve of my thigh to calf corresponds to my bust to waist. I apologize if my directions don't make sense, I'm a better seamstress than design blogger!

17. nicole deffes

nicole deffesNew Member

Threads:
    What I would do with an old pair of jeans is cut them up and make jeans shorts with rips, adding studs, and interesting things like that. Also, I have seen a lot of people dye them and added different patches to them. I think it is a funky and unique way of spicing up your wardrobe while recycling which always saves money!

18. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Thank you, I totally forgot about pinterest, I bet there are some great ideas on there! The book thing is cool too, I bet there is enough to do both the jeans are so big! lol

19. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Thank you! I will definitely have a look at some pictures, I used to do this kind of stuff all of the time and to be honest I really miss doing it so I might start it again once I have done my jeans!

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    A great way to transform jeans is to make a bag out of it if you don't want to turn it into shorts. What's great about making it into a bag is that it's a very strong material so you don't have to worry about damaging it by putting in items that are too heavy. There are lots of DIY channels on youtube that you can look up on how to transform your old jeans into bags, and if that's not something you're interested in there are probably a lot more other suggestions on there too.