What To Do With Overripe Bananas

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Beast_Titan • May 18, 2017.

1. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    It might sound weird but i just can't eat overripe Bananas, i find them to be too fluffy and mushy to actually enjoy the taste and the experience of eating them. If there were some in the house i just make a smoothie in order not to throw them.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I also just usually eat the overripe banana since it tastes good anyway, but thanks for sharing these tips, they're quite useful. My dad, on the other hand, likes to throw away the rotten banana parts, he doesn't seem to be able to tolerate it's taste.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When I notice the bananas are over riping I usually peel them, cut them to pieces, and put them in the freezer. The next day they are nice and frozen good enough to make a banana milk shake, other fruits may also be added depending on ones choice. Banana pancakes may also be made if they are mixed well with the pancake mix. I know there is more that can be done but I have only personally tried the milk shakes and pancakes.

4. Sherrie Larrison

Sherrie LarrisonMember

Threads:
    I usually make a banana shake with the overripe ones!

5. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The banana ice-cream recipe looks really great and you can make it with just bananas(2 ripe bananas sliced and frozen) which is very interesting,and you just keep blending the ice-cream for 5 minutes,then you can eat it like soft serve or freeze it for at least an hour. To make it creamier though you can add coconut milk and mix in nuts or fresh and dry fruits and it taste yummy!

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We always use overripe bananas in just one way. We mesh them with curd, dry fruits, grapes and sugar and eat it in the afternoon. Overripe banana also tastes great with milk as morning breakfast that I use some times in place of my regular curd-shake (we call it lassi). By the way I personally like it with an extra spoon of sugar.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I should try some of these recipes as I often let my bananas get over ripe and I hate them once they start to get black and slimy. I worked as a cook in an old people's home once and we always used them for banana cake. Bananas aren't cheap and it's a shame to waste them.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Research done in Japan has determined that when the banana reaches that black speckled level, its releases a tumor killing anti-cancer substance. Therefore it's best not to throw away that overripe speckled banana but try to find some sort of usage for the fruit when it's at this stage. The banana bread is one the favored pastry that is made from overripe bananas.

9. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    When the banana's I have bought go a little overripe, I give them to my dogs. Loopy (in my avatar pic) absolutely adores them but Carly my puppy isn't so sure. He doesn't have a sweet tooth at all so I tend to share my banana's with Loopy.

Very interesting to learn this @explorerx7@explorerx7 and I would never have thought it! Most definitely now I will be using them till the very last moment! At least I know I've been giving my dog Loopy anti-cancer substances.

#29Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  10. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing those great ideas with us. I've always thrown overripe bananas away but that is something that I will never do again. I love banana bread and I usually have banana smoothies but it never occurred to me to use overripe bananas for this. I'm going to enjoy trying out some of these ideas the next time I have overripe bananas.

11. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    Overripe bananas are absolutely safe for human consumption. They look a bit ugly and slimy. When I am in a situation where I have a bunch of overripe bananas and I have to choose between using it and throwing them away, I always choose to use it. I usually blend the overripe bananas into a blender along with some milk and a little sugar if required, which makes a wonderful high engery Banana milk shake. The other way you can use it is to mix the overripe bananas along with the wheat flour and knead it into a douche to make Chapatis (Indian Wheat bread). These chapatis taste really good. All I want to say here is, donot waste fruits and food when they can be used for safe consumption. Remember there are pleanty of people around the world deprived of food even today.