What to drink at meals?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Strykstar • Oct 16, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    If you absolutely must drink something during meals and if you don't like drinking simply water, what is the next best thing for you to drink during meals?
    It seems like there's no easy answer to this but let's see if we can agree on something.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I always drink tea. I know it can be bad for iron absorption but otherwise I don't think that there is anything wrong with it. I don't often drink water with meals anyway. I've never understood people who drink coffee though. What do you drink with your meals?

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Coffee and tea are the most common beverages. I would stick to herbal tea in the evening to prevent caffeine keeping me up at night. There are a number of herbal teas that are really good for your stomach if you have any digestive issues. Peppermint tea is one if your stomach is upset, and I believe fennel tea is also good for aiding digestion. I have seen several herbal blends that are said to help aid digestion, so I would look into those if I was having stomach issues. I usually have Rooibos tea in the winter at dinner because I love that flavor.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I quite like apple juice as it is naturally detoxes and also with elderflower it aids digestion. It goes with most of my meals as well and is healthy, any extra vitamins is good.

I used to drink wine, but would also have water with it, but it always has to be a cold drink for me when I eat, even if I am having soup. The exception is breakfast when I can have a coffee, but I don't drink much, a short espresso.

5. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    If you're cutting calories, the only thing that I can think about aside from water is sugar free drinks like diet soda. If you're worried about side effects, then drink tea, but I don't really worry much about it because I don't drink every day. :)

I usually drink softdrinks when I've had something really rich and salty, like pizza. Then I go for diet so I don't add any more calories.

Plus, it's not that expensive unlike other drinks. :)

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I am an iced tea fanatic. It doesn't matter if it's from a bag, bottle or the instant mix, I love to drink it as long as it's well made. But, as of late, I have been on a ginger ale binge. Someone gave me a can a couple of months ago and I forgot just how good it is as I hadn't had one in years. I'm trying to pretend that it's better than the average soda.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on what your priorities are- if you're counting calories or being more health conscious in general, water or green tea are probably the way to go. But plenty of people aren't terribly concerned about that kind of thing and stick with more sugary options like juice or soda. I try to stick with tea a lot of the time, it's a good balance for me between having a bit of flavor but not going overboard on calories or sugar.

8. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I only drink pure water during meals and if water is not an option, then it's iced tea or clear soft drink like sprite. Although my favorite drinks are coffee and milk tea, I never take them during meals. I drink creamed coffee or milk tea solo usually after meals, it's kinda my dessert. :D

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd say natural fruit juice is a good bet in terms of substitution for water. If you squeeze the fruits yourself that is. Buying the ones that come in packages usually have additives that you could do without. Some even have the nerve to lie and trick you into thinking that majority of their juice is natural when they only contain enough for them to be able to make the claim.

10. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    I've heard that it is not good to drink anything during meals, especially water, because it dilutes stomach acid so the stomach doesn't absorb nutrients as well. I'm not sure if there's any truth to this but I've been trying it since I need all the help I can get. At least now I don't get so bloated, since my stomach isn't stretched out with both food AND water. I wait until in between meal times to drink my water.
    I think, if you need to drink something (and I do sometimes), a hot drink is best, like tea. I only drink herbal tea and I find most of them don't need any sort of sweetener, especially the fruit flavored ones.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like to drink wine. Depending on the meal/flavors, red or white wine can complement the meal well. It has an effect on your tastebuds. Sometimes I will drink beer with meals but it does not have the same effect. My preferred beverage during meals is water because it is more neutral.