What To Expect With Natural Gas?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Isabellas2007 • Aug 19, 2012.

1. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have an accepted offer on a house I have never thought about buying before. However, this house has natural gas included with it and this is something I have never had before. What kind of bills/problems can I expect to see when I start to use this for the home?

2. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have natural gas here and it is cheaper then my electric bill. I prefer natural gas for cooking and heating the water. Heating a home is cheaper too! I haven't had any problems, but we do have a carbon monoxide detector close to the kitchen just in case. It is good to have really for any reason. I see no major difference between the two utilities tho and I have used both. I do prefer the gas stove over the electric stove, you don't have to wait for it to heat up (instantly the right temp.)

3. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    Gas is definitely less expensive than electric. The hardest thing to get used to is that it's warmer so you have to cook on lower settings or you'll burn everything. It definitely makes the house more comfortable when you heat with gas, too. It's a moister heat so keeps the warm in the air longer, plus your skin won't get so dry in the winter.

4. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    We have a natural gas connection and it definitely works out to be cheaper than electricity. Of course you need to make subtle changes to your cooking habits so you need to experiment for some time before you can get it right. I would definitely recommend gas over electricity as we find the cooking to be much easier.