What to Look Out for when Shopping

Discussion in Misc & Others started by starfox64 • Mar 28, 2014.

1. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I recently came across an article that shows some tricks some well-known supermarkets do to get their customers to spend more. I thought that it would be worth sharing with you guys. Below is an excerpt and a link to the article.

1. They target the hungry

I know this from bitter experience, if I am despatched to the supermarket to bring home fresh milk and bread and the morning newspaper after a hearty full English breakfast, I can complete the task with great success having only bought the items my better half has sent me out to buy. However if I try and complete the same simple job with a growling belly I often return with two full bags stuffed to the brim with warm pastries a freshly roasted chicken and a whole host of other treats which never get eaten.

Source

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great article.

The fact that you have to walk all over the supermarket to find stuff you intend to buy is a way to entice you to buy items you didn't plan on buying but might suddenly think that they could be needed.

The way to avoid impulse buying in supermarkets I found out was to arm yourself with a shopping list and debit card loaded with about the same amount of money you want to spend. That way, the only money left over to spend could be a buck or so, if the prices of the items you went to buy haven't changed much.