What to pack?

Discussion in Travel started by Peninha • Jul 11, 2014.

1. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    I am a tourist and I have been visiting many places. Packing is the most important part of the journey. I never pack extra luggage. I always try to pack less as possible but I don’t forget to take my laptop, camera and mobile with me. These are most important accessories for me during my travel. In winter I have to put some extra clothes with me but in summer I can easily maintain my short and light suitcase.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that is the key for the successful tourist if you ask me Ashlee, I mean, what is the point in carrying extra luggage if we are not going to need it? We travel to know new things and people, not to carry our old stuff behind us I believe. Also, many times that is more expensive if we carry the extra weight.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I love the trend of this post very much. I really do enjoy traveling, and I always "mull over" what it is that I need to pack when it is that I'm heading out on my trip! This very dilemma happens to my family as well, and for good reason, I believe.
    You can never pack enough of "the essentials" when it comes to traveling: extra underwear, vitamins/medicine, band-aids, toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, bath rags etc. These are things that, even if you only manage to snatch one outfit out of your closet, will keep you alive and happy when it is that you've ventured to that new, foreign place that you've decided to call "your destination", lol.
    But I'm serious! Often, we "over-pack" on the "less-than-necessary" items, like a new outfit for everyday, huge fashion bags, multiple pairs of sneakers and hats, and other such things. We need to think about what we'll really complain about not having when it is that we get to this foreign place, where we'll not be likely to know where to travel to in order to access them, or where the exchange rate is so high that we dare not spend a dime!
    I'd say, focus on the absolute essentials, and then after that, if you do have space for more, than pack what you can, but make sure that what you need is where it needs to be...in your suitcase!

4. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I used to have a terrible time deciding what I should bring on a trip. Now I have a list that I go to immediately when packing. Here are some of the basics that I always have on my list when packing.

Clothes
    Maps
    Passport/ID (especially international travel)
    Sunscreen
    Camera
    Phone
    Pillows
    A few books
    Music
    Extra food and water if I don't want to spend too much money
    Emergency money

If you have a problem remembering everything when you pack there are a few good free apps on Apple and Android that make sure you have everything. One of them even turns into a trip planner for when you actually get to where you are going.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never stayed away from my place for more than 1 week or 2 in a row, I simply can't afford it, but traveling with kids means you always carry a considerable amount of things. For one, we always carry some basic food for the first day before we go shopping and they always carry a small bag with toys... :)

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    No! This is one of my weaknesses. I have a hard time deciding what to bring especially when it comes to clothes. As a result, my luggage becomes too stuffed. I really have to learn the tips on packing. My cousin said that I should already plan what to wear every day and just wear one pair of jeans. Do you think that this is a right tip?

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL that is hard chiofthenonrns (complicated name here!!), if you never know how to pack how do you pack indeed? I think a basic tip is, first pack the fundamentals, clothes and hygiene and after that the rest is considered accessory I believe and depends on the space you have available.

8. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the tour and place where I am going. If I am going to out of the city then of course the packing will be different from local tour.
    Mostly I try to keep my cell phone, its charger and some necessary documents. I never forget to take a camera with me during the my outdoor travel. what about you guys?

9. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Peninha! Yes I agree and it is an admitted fact. The more we will carry the more we will ruin our journey. You can understand when there will be a lot of luggage with us we must be in the tension to save it and to keep it. That's why I try to avoid this thing.

10. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    My vacations are usually 1400 miles or more away from home, and I am gone a minimum of seven days. It really isn't feasible for me with a family of four to take non-essentials like food, when I can buy that anywhere. My 4-door sedan is packed to the hilt as it is. I also bring a lot of electronics, such as cameras, tablet, laptop, and games. Most of the hotels I stay out have fridges. Some even have full kitchens. This way I can go to local grocery stories instead of eating out for every single meal.

11. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    wvboarder!
    I like your suggestion and will remember it and try it during my next journey. I hope it will as effective for me as i am thinking.
    Let me know about your further plans to enjoy the winter. Will you stay at home or going for outdoor?

#31Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  12. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    Ashlee, like you I am also a tourist and love to travel all over the world. Absolutely you are right we should pack light during our trips. If we have light luggage we can easily move from one place to another.
    I have a plan to enjoy a trip to New York with my family in coming winter.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much, I travel as light as possible and basically that includes clothes and bathroom utilities. If we are going to an apart-hotel we might take somethings that their kitchen doesn't have and we need, but the food we buy it all there, no need to carry it.