What travel insurance do you get to travel in Asia?

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by Kaila • Aug 5, 2012.

1. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm curious to know which travel insurance companies are most popular for people who come to visit Asia, especially backpackers in Southeast Asia. Has anyone found one that provides a good content insurance for their luggage? I was traveling around with about $2000 worth of items in my backpack (total flashpacker!) and my insurance wouldn't cover it! They said it should be covered by home contents insurance, but I don't have that. Any ideas, anyone?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I would recommend popping in at a travel or tourist center like student-flights or similar and ask them if you can add on another insurance. In my days of 'flashpacking' (i like the term)...the contents of my backpack was completely insured. Now, I just travel lighter and keep valuables with me as hand luggage...as the whole insurance thing has become so convoluted!

Alternatively, you can send insured boxes home of valuables that you have purchased...in order to keep them safe as that comes with full insurance and I have sent stuff home from Asia and it never went amiss. But for stuff you need to keep with you...best you ask at a student-flights or similar to change or upgrade insurance. All the best...as all the rules are getting dafter.

3. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    A continent that spans the range of all that’s possible – from the ultra-modern of Japanese electronics to the back-breaking hardship of Afghanistan farm life, from democracy to communism, from the highest peak on the planet to paddy fields filled with rice. No other continent is as rich and diverse as Asia.
    The advantage are given below:
    Medical treatment - Consider getting medical cover in case you get ill or injured in Asia
    Cancellation costs - You could avoid extra expenses if you're too ill to travel or if your flight is delayed
    Extras - Consider getting additional cover if you're backpacking, going on a cruise or if you're planning on doing any specific activities

4. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Our phones, laptops and any other gadgets are included in our content insurance for our house. So even if we lose it while travelling, we can claim for it in insurance. Travel insurances just mainly covers for health/medical treatment/accidents costs and of course for flight/hotel cancellation costs. Maybe you can google what content insurances are available in your place.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have traveled through Asia for two-years and I didn't have travel insurance for over a year of my travels. I know it's better to be safe than sorry but I couldn't afford the extra cost so I went without. Fortunately I didn't need it.

6. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    You be sure that you are gonna get good insurance policy in developed Asian countries. But in the non developed countries you gonna fall in deep problem. You avoid South Asia and poor region in Central and South Asia. Japan, Malaysia, Korea Republic is to get good insurance.

7. Kuly22

Kuly22New Member

Threads:
    What did you like best in Asia?

8. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    Asia has loads to offer for tourists. Apart from its cheap it has good tourist spots and historical places as well. How about you? Do u like Asia?

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My current life insurance provider is Philamlife. It has a large operations site here in the Philippines with branches across the country. I am not sure though if they provide travel insurance coverage complete with travel medical, trip cancellation, trip delay and lost baggage (to name a few) benefits. You can just contact their benefit partner, AIA Group Limited, which operates in various Asian countries. Its headquarters is in Hong Kong.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are number of insurance providers in Asia which offer more or less the same facilities and charge almost same fee depending on amount insured. However, I suggest Max/Bupa as one of the best in Asia/Oceania region which gives you genuine service at a competitive price. maybe it charges a little extra compared to what is offered by local insurance companies but Bupa is quick in settling in claims.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Make sure to get health insurance. Also accidental insurance definitely helps. You can see that these two things will save a lot of your time and money. And another thing is that travel insurance helps in many contexts. But depends on your insurance. I know some of the debit and the travel cards offer this type of the insurance. So it is good enough in many ways. Just go and check what applies for your age and the country.