What TYPES of stores do you see the worst customer service at?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by troutski • Aug 3, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It always seems like specific types of stores have poor customer service overall. For instance, big box retailers and gas stations aren't known to be industry leaders in pleasing customers. There's a 100 locations with terrible service for every 10 that go above and beyond to satisfy the customer. I've also found that bowling alleys, amusingly enough, don't always offer the best service. They seem to want to get your money, get you on the lanes, and then get you out. I dunno. What types of stores would you say don't offer the greatest customer service in your experience?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Discount stores are usually known for their bad customer service. One time I had to exchange some shoes at Ross, and the sales guy was Extremely rude to me. He basically looked at my face, said that they did not exchange shoes, looked away and said "next"! He completely dismissed me like I was nobody.....

3. cedrickismw

cedrickismwMember

Threads:
    I think fast food is the worst customer service. I usually eat at a Checkers burger place on my way home from work or at lunch time. Not only do they almost always get my order wrong, but the last time I went this lady who always has an awful attitude and horrible service asks me if I grocery shop and tells me I should stop coming there to eat. I do it because its late at night and its what is close by and still open at the time. I gets worse, but that is my latest ugly experience with a worker.

4. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I was just commenting on poor customer service. I cannot think of a specific time or place. However, I know that great customer service is an art. Many times, I think it is people forgetting their manners, how to be patient with others, and how to listen to their needs. What is that saying about vinegar and honey? Oh yes, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. In other words, just learn to be nice to everyone!

5. cedrickismw

cedrickismwMember

Threads:
    It really is hard to balance. Some customers come often and are always complete idiots just for the sake of it. By the time you get to someone else the frustration is just about boiling over not to mention the static you might get from lazy agitated bosses who aren't much help themselves. Often times in customer service a person is left to deal with irate customers on their own when management is supposed to handle certain issues but since they try to cut so many corners with payroll the don't have enough people to run the business efficiently therefore they can't attend to the needs of customers and frustration happens. So they'll fire an employee because someone has to pay and ultimately waste more company funds hiring someone else or not increasing the workload of everyone else. What happens to the money that's supposed to be available for these "million dollar businesses" that we should be proud to work for when it isn't reinvested in the company or the employees and managers continually cut corners on payroll and things needed to provide the best service possible. It really just damages the brand in the long run and ruins lives of people who invest their time with them and its hard because often this is whats available to someone who really needs a job.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The absolute worst place is Fry's Electronics. Even when the store isn't very busy, the salespeople are all standing around talking to each other.

I'm also not a big fan of Nordstrom's even though they are supposed to be well known for their great customer service.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All these answers make sense, although they might make a person think you can't get good service in any industry. ;]

I'd say the one industry I'll give a pass on top quality customer service is fast food (but not restaurants). As long as I receive my correct order in a decently timely manner and the food is good, then I'll be happy dealing with someone who obviously doesn't give a darn about me.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I experience the worst customer service at drugstores like CVS and Walgreens. Both stores have sales and rewards cards, which they are supposed to honor.
    I've had situations where I didn't get the sale prices because the cashier forgot to scan my rewards card when I handed it to him, and then he acted like I was the jerk for wanting it corrected.
    At my local CVS and Walgreens, the associates act like the customers are jerks for wanting the sale prices, wanting their rewards cards scanned, or using coupons.
    One cashier suggested that I go to Walmart if I'm so concerned about saving money.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Oddly enough many of the stores I go into the people are rather friendly for the most part. The places I find where the customer service can be lacking is at the doctors at times. The staff can be rude at hospitals, and doctors offices I find more than places like Walmart or CVS ironically.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I always get the worst service at gas stations. The attendants are rude. This goes for any gas station around the United States. No matter where I am at, the service always sucks. Now it is different for me at discount stores. I get the best customer service and the employees are very friendly. I guess it depends on the area but gas stations take the number one spot for having crappy employees who are ruining their business.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I think customer service depends on management and the nature of the business. A gas station that offers other services or products may have decent customer service but if they are one of the lower-priced places, they just want to get people in and out. Especially on holiday weekends when people are preparing for a road trip, clerks may be a little short but not really rude.

Recently, I was in Nordstrom and not only was customer service strange but this person barely spoke English. Talk about a 180.

My experience in big box stores is that rude clerks don't stick around. Those who take pride in their work move up the ladder into management. I think with the recent recession, clerks realize that a good attitude can secure a job.

12. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    The worst service is usually at the USPS stores. I know they are underfunded, but it is always a horrible experience and it usually triggers a nerve with customers when they end up waiting for too long. From my experience, they usually employ the most lethargic staff. It's like watching sloths at work. They are seriously in need of better management.

13. Contrailla Davidson Sr.

Contrailla Davidson Sr.New Member

Threads:
    Could restaurant be included in this? Because there are some rude people in a lopt of these side show restaurants around my city! They don't greet you as if they want you in the store or even act like they want to help you. Some time I just speak to them very loud just to see how they would respond. Most times I get those blank stares as if someone just got fired or something.

I know the feeling! It's like they have a bad attitude all the time. Some even go as far as to not speak, but will ask you want you want. Some times I just want to tell them that that are acting like asses but for the sake of trying to put myself in there shoes I don't.

14. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have received the worst customer service at beauty supply stores. The sales reps act as though it's beneath them to walk out from behind the counter and help you find a product. They also (at times) aren't knowledgeable about the makeup, hair and shampoo they sell.

One of the craziest experiences I had was when I was asking a sales rep a question and she began to fall asleep!!! She nodded off right in front of my face. Needless to say, her behavior me to find another local beauty shop to patronage.

beauty-supply-stores-in-rochester-new-york.

15. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    The absolutely worse customer service experiences I've had were at the Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and Dollar General. I enter those types of stores with an extra SWEET and NICE attitude! Half the clerks are angry and hostile. The other half are professional and considerate. I do not know why some are so mean. I have applied to work at all three when I was desperate to make an extra $100.00 each week.
    The next most horrendous group are fast food workers.

16. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    I've had bad experiences at Wal Mart! At least locally, they're really lacking on employees so the lines are always really long. This displeases the customers, and I'm sure the employee too, who are standing there much longer than any customer.

Wal Mart seems to have a pretty bad reputation in this area though... as in employees not knowing whether or not they have certain items in stock, or not knowing much about the area they're working in.

Normally, I use Self-Checkout, but if there's ever a problem in one of the machines I have to wait a really long time for anyone to come, and I'll see the employees talking to each other...

17. Obskyra

ObskyraNew Member

Threads:
    Nah its definitely not just your Walmart. It's probably anywhere. I can't stand the lines and I've been in both positions at one point. Standing in line and as the cashier. It's bad for both but they could just solve it by having more people during busiest times. Stores like that try to solve the problem but usually don't.

18. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I really think that stores like Wal Mart and Target are worse for their customer service. They are generally under staffed and trying to make the work 3 jobs at once. Also, fast food restaurants are pretty terrible especially when they get your food wrong or during the busy hours. Which is understandable. Usually there is a reason for the bad service. Though, occasionally you find the lazy workers.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The USPS isn't underfunded, those employees get paid very well actually. There is no reason for them to be acting like that. It happens at every single post office I go to, no matter where I am living at the time and it pisses me off. It's honestly as if they are trained to take their good old time and allow long lines to back up, for some bizarre reason. It's some weird passive aggressive attitude they all have where they putz around and make everyone wait forever. I don't know what it is about that job that makes them all so crazy, but they need help badly. UPS isn't much better, I've stood there forever in line as well waiting to ship or pick up a package.

Burger King and McDonalds are forever screwing up my orders, over charging me, and taking forever at the drive thru's. I used to work at Burger King when I was a teenager, and everyone is just so lethargic and disgusted while working there. They act like all the customers are bothering them.

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The only place I regularly get rude service is at my dentist. It is the only dentist in London that uses a method called conscious sedation which is what I need when I have dental work done, so I can do nothing but take their rude abuse and grit my teeth.