What Was Your Favorite School Lunch?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Nov 21, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When I was in elementary and high school, we didn't have much choice other than what was offered at our cafeteria. It was pretty alright when I was in what I would classify as a better school, but then I transferred to somewhere cheaper and the cafeteria food was a lot less appealing. That said, my favorite thing offered in both places was a waffle dog, kind of like a corndog, but with a waffle shell instead of cornmeal. What was your favorite school lunch meal or food item?

2. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I have always like the individual hot sandwiches with some chips. My kids don't have this item in their lunchroom due to the health eating campaign. Another piece to this campaign was for all the pop machines where changed to water and juices machines. I think it was a good idea to help keep our children healthy, but don't take everything away form them.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My grade school would sell homemade pizzas on fridays, so that's what I usually had. We could get a half of a 12" pizza on a tray for like $2. That might sound like a lot for a kid, but we could plow through it real quick. They would also take the leftover dough and make "pizza fritas" or big fried donuts tossed in sugar. Those were only 10 cents each, and were amazing coming right out of the hot oil.

Our actual school lunches were total crap. I packed a lunch most of the time so I seldom at them. They all arrived in these little foil trays with foil covers. All the lunch ladys literally did was toss them into an oven then put them on a tray with a carton of milk for us. The stuff was all slopped together in the tray and it was usually something like a nasty meatloaf patty or some strange version of ghoulash. You could smell all the chemicals and preservatives in them a mile away when they were being warmed up. It was like frankenfood or something.

4. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    In grade school and junior high, I loved pizza. I high school it was hot ham and cheese with pickles and a bag of Doritos. Of course when it came to college it was beef and chicken flavored Ramen noodles. Wow, did things change. Now that my kids are in school, they have healthy meals that is cooked for them and not pre-made and put in the school oven. Many schools now days don't even have a pop machine. It was replaced with a water and juice machine.

5. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I really can't recall a favorite school lunch, but I do remember the worse, boiled fish and potatoes, I hated it and it made me want to pug. Sometimes I even threw it away when no one was watching...

6. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    My favourite school lunch was peanut butter and jam bread, four slices everyday, Monday- Friday. In my case, I used to have it all the time, sometimes even for breakfast at home, if we finished the meal-meal before the month could end. Kids at my school used to look at me in a funny way, almost disgusted, but I was never bothered and carried on. I ate that sandwich so much, that I know each and every type of jam and peanut butter there is to find in cape town, as long as it is cheap of course.

These days, I still make myself the sandwich not everyday though like before, as I am not forced and in not the same situation as I grew up in. I am more fortunate now, but I thank God as I can appreciate the finer things in life now even more. Also, the fact that at home, they still had something to give for me to carry, I will always appreciate that as most kids at other places had nothing.

7. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    We would have Pizza Hut pizza days once a week. That was the best day. I would always make sure to bring lunch money on those days. having a delicious lunch like that made school a little more tolerable.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    They only did one per month, but my highschool used to have lasagna. And you could know when it was that day, because the waiting row for it would get four times bigger than the usual size. Lucky for me i had a friend who didn't like it, so i could go double on that day. Good times!

9. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I liked Snack Pack puddings. They were the best pudding and much, much better than the Jell-O pudding you'd make from the packet.

I also like the Lunchable lunches. They had a variety of sandwiches, tacos, pizzas, crackers, lunch meats, etc. Everything was in one prepackaged box so it was easy to carry around. It had a drinks and snacks, as well as the main course. At lunchtime it was always fun to go around to your friends that had other Lunchables and make something really crazy that you couldn't do with your own pack, like a taco pizza or a pizza topped with ham and cheese crackers. And you could always trade out your drinks and snacks for a better flavor. That was one drawback, they would only have one certain flavor of Capri-Sun with the sandwich Lunchable, so if you wanted a certain meal that was the only drink you could get.

10. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    my favorite was the chicken sandwiches they used to offer, followed by meatball subs, lasagna, then pizza.

I used to get the chicken sandwich or cheeseburger from friends who were "too good" for school lunch, i would then remove the top bun from one, and create a big mac.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never had any favorite lunch when I was still studying because the food was very greasy, but they did taste ok. I usually go for the rice meal or hamburgers. They also sold pizza, but it was mediocre.

12. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    The best thing about my school lunches would have to be the pizza. It would be so greasy and cheesy, who wouldn't like it as a kid? But I have to say I never felt the greatest after eating such a meal. I remember the sandwiches my mom would make me and anything with olives and meat would be delicious. I would have to say I loved all my home made lunches except for the ones that were just plain out one ingredient into a piece of bread like spreadable yogurt or something. Those ' Mrs Vickies' jalapenos chips that my school sold were always a must as a snack!

13. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I was never a regular for purchasing food at school but I enjoyed pizza Fridays in elementary school. We'd have a slice of pizza, a pop can and a cookie all for $3.00! That was the only time that my mom would let me stay at school for lunch; I'd eat quickly and then run around with my friends in the park. During middle school I always prayed that my mom forgot to pack my lunch, then I'd get an excuse to buy the curly french fries they served. :D

14. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    When I was in middle school, my favorite lunch was corn-dog with chocolate milk. I like corn-dog because it tastes so good, plus I think it is better than cheeseburger and hotdog. I miss my middle school years, especially I could eat a lot of good stuff during lunch time.

15. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I hated school lunch as it always tasted fake. The only time I ate school lunch is when they bought Papa Johns pizza. Other than that I avoided it like the plague.