What was your first book in a different language?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by steisehodgson • Dec 10, 2013.

1. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    Hey guys as you can read in the title.....I want to know what your first book was that wasn't written in your birth language?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    During my childhood I read different little books in english (it is clear that I speak Spanish), but they weren't important enough. I think the first book in english that I read in another language was "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I knew nothing about the story, but I felt attracted by the title and the name of its author. I don't regret it, because I found in that book a harrowing but beautiful story. At first reading was a bit difficult (in fact, I did it with the dictionary within reach of my hand), but after reading some chapters became more and more fluid. Read a book in its original language is a highly recommended experience, because we don't need the mediation of the translator. :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it can quality to be called a book but I've read a number of the Asterix comics in the original language they were written in: French. I didn't like them though something that can convinced me that the people who translated the comics did a pretty decent job.

4. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    My first book in a foreign language is Le Petit Prince. My mom's friend opened a (mail) correspondence school teaching French back when I was a kid. My mom thought this would be the perfect way for me to learn French. So, she signed me up and ordered study lessons as well as that book. The school didn't last long. And I lasted even less, but I did get to read the book. Sadly, I can't remember any details of that book, except for stars.