What would cause this?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Nick2011 • May 4, 2013.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have a PC issue I hope someone can nail down a theory on. My Windows 7 installation displays on the screen weird now. It's as if the left side of the screen is indented inward. While as you get closer and closer to the right side of the screen? The desktop display looks more and more normal. So imagine a folded piece of notebook paper. That's how my desktop displays right now. My CPU speed is exceptional, no problem opening or closing programs, no blue screens, no shut downs out of nowhere, no viruses, my comp runs quick as a bullet. Just this left-folded or left-indented desktop display. It also bleeds into browser windows as well. The left side of the browser window is tilted inward and the right side looks crooked because of this. I believe it to be a graphics card issue, as I've read graphics cards control HOW WINDOWS DISPLAYS on a monitor.

So before you guys ask...I've used a CRT monitor and a flatscreen monitor on my desktop and both monitors display the same issue. No, I haven't changed any monitor settings as far as size, length, etc are concerned. I've done the keyboard shortcut thing where you hold down ctrl+alt+up arrow and that didn't work. I have all the proper drivers installed. Otherwise, my PC wouldn't be running like a dream speed and efficiency wise. I've used two western digital hard drives, and one sea gate hard drive and the issue persists. So am I right? Is it a failing graphics card, otherwise known as a display adapter or video card?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    nvm.........................

Sorry, I can't delete my message. I thought I knew what it was but if you've used two monitors and had the same issue, I have no clue. Good luck.

3. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    It could be your CPU, video card, or even your motherboard.
    It can't be your hard drive, or any other things.
    Also, are you sure your plugging your cables all the way? Could be the hdmi cable that's loose.

4. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    My cables are fine. Tested them all. I'm running on 1GB of ram and it's smooth and fast. If it were my motherboard, wouldn't I be having way more problems than just a slanted display? Signs of a failing motherboard are a burning smell coming from your tower, blue screen of death, and random restarts and shut downs. Not getting any of these. Bad CPU and motherboard usually result in freezes, blue screens, reboots out of nowhere, etc. I am not having any of these symptoms. That's why I narrowed it down to the video card/graphics card.

#4May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    So what I did today was I uninstalled Windows service pack 3 to make sure that wasn't the problem. Nothing changed, so the video card is definitely the issue now.

6. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely the video card if two monitors are showing the same problem.

Do you have a setup where you've added an actual video card to the mainboard, while the system came with an on-board video card (built into the mainboard)? If so, you can remove the added video card, and use the on-board video until you can get a replacement video card.

7. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    I agree, it's your video card, no doubt. You tried two monitors, same problem, get another video card and that will resolve your issue. If your VC is not old, if it's relatively new, and you don't think that's the problem, one more thing you can try, if you haven't already, do a System Restore. Try to restore your system back to a time before the problem occurred.