What Would You Change

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Mar 16, 2015.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not to sound pessimistic, but there is SOOOO much wrong with the world lol. Not that that's news.. there's always been so much wrong with the world, since we became the dominant species ;)

Everyone has their ideas of what could be changed to make the world a better place. Equality for all, government overhaul, feed the hungry, more technology, less technology.. everyone has their ideas. There are many areas that need to change, I know, but what would be the ONE change that you think would have the biggest impact. You have a genie granting you one "change the world" wish lol.. just ONE issue. What do you ask to be changed forever?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's too difficult to pick just one but maybe the biggest problem of the world is liars. If there was a way to make people in general lie a lot less we would be much better off. Everyone would have a better chance of working if they wanted to and there would be a lot less crime.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a tough question to answer. We live in a paradox. We don't really want to be in this imperfect situation but when you think about it, the world would be too boring, monotonous and bland without these imperfections. I'd like to change this world into something that's terrorist-free. Even if this wish was granted, there's no guarantee that killings and other crimes against humanity will cease to exist. Still, in view of the evil that terrorism has wrought, I'd rather it be the first thing that's eradicated from this world.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good answers :) I know it's a difficult question to answer. I was just wondering what one thing people would pick, knowing it would never be an issue again and knowing the rest of the downfalls will continue on. I'm not sure what my contribution would be. I would want something that changes much more than my initial choice.. it would lead to more change. Like meat production.. that would cover much of the degradation of the planet, starvation, torture and a very huge chunk of the worlds health crisis. Or maybe I'd choose equality. That's a huge thing for me. No more hierarchy, no more racism, no more homophobia, no more sexism, no more any-ism lol. The world would be a much nicer place for it.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    "Peace". It's a very big concept and a huge topic for anyone to discuss, but I would ask for peace amongst your fellow man. That in itself would solve most of the world's problems. It's probably not realistic but there's no harm in trying.

6. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    Such a big question with so many possible answers. I think that my answer could easily change on a daily basis. But for today, I am going to say cures for illness or just lack of illness in itself. In addition to helping people in America, this could really change the lives and world of people in developing countries.

If children in developing countries did not die young of disease imagine what they could do! Each person on this planet has a gift and I worry sometimes that too many people are dying young. These children, or younger generation, are not given a change to show the world their gift. There are so many diseases that cause children, or young adults, to perish. Ebola, AIDS, cancer, dysentery, genetic diseases, and so many more are taking away our youth.

Maybe this is a selfish answer too. It would have prevented those I have lost from leaving the world so early. It would prevent Scleroderma from taking my, much too young, fiance, soon to be husband, from me at an early age.

I really enjoyed your answer of equality as well. Unfortunately, it is hard for me to even imagine a world like that. But I think it could be fabulous.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would change homelessness as I think once people have a roof over their head, they can find food and feel safe. People would then stand a chance of making a life and that goes for people in third world countries too. Many are forced to live with family and in tents, but if you have a home, you can grow your own food and it forms a good steady basis.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm torn between resolving world hunger and ending homelessness.
    The messed up thing is that there's enough food for everyone but tons of food gets thrown away, and there's enough vacant land to build little shacks for the homeless, but there are all kinds of laws that prevent building on that land.
    Heck, some states even have laws against sharing food with the homeless.
    Anyway, if I could change anything it would be either hunger or homelessness.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Isn't it awful?? That's a good one Acsapa. And thank you! There IS enough food on this planet.. there is no need to go all frankenfood to feed the world, we're throwing it all away while people starve to death all over the world. And why? Because we put too much on our plate or it wasn't bright and shiny enough. Gross. As for the homeless.. I find it disgusting that society would allow someone to fade away like that because they don't have money. They're human beings, not animals. Wait.. even animals get more help and they can't give anything in return but some love.. if love is all it takes, humans have that covered too.

I think it was Utah that pretty much solved the homeless issue. They gave them homes and social workers, which they found to be cheaper than handling it the way they always had. So still scratching their own backs, but in a way that actually benefited the homeless and maybe they can finally get back on their feet because they were given the chance they needed in a world that makes it almost impossible to stand back up once you've fallen.

10. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    Mines would be to end racism, because its destroying the world. I never understood how the color of one's skin has been such a serious issue throughout history. We are in 21st century and still addressing the same problem. It's really sad and pathetic, and unfortunately, I do not think it will ever end. People can not see how it's destroying our world. It has turned cancer which is spinning out of control. No matter what skin color you are, we are all the same which is human. We should be working together, not against each other. People have to remember that this world was created by God, and we are only his tenants. Wrld.e need to appreciate each others uniqueness and contributions to our world.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're right, it will never fully go away, though we're worlds ahead of where we once were. But are we? Seems once one group gets unshackled, another has to take it's place. Too many people don't like differences of any kind. Wherever you go, you can see a distaste for differences, no matter what they are. People don't like those who don't look like them, act like them, dress like them, love like them, learn like them, speak like them... it's not going away, it's too ingrained.

12. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    You nailed it on point, as you stated, anything a different is a problem. It does not have to be, but it is. I made some spelling errors which I was trying to express how racism has turned into a serious cancer. We also need to appreciate each others uniqueness, and contributions. I want to make sure I was understood clearly. I apologize for that.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh no, I (and I'm sure everyone else) understood completely. It's definitely a cancer. Negativity is. It's all selfishness. When you can't be happy for someone who loves another or look past the amount of melanin in someone's skin or if you believe ANYone deserves less than you.. that's all about you, not the other person (general you, not YOU you lol). It's what the world is built on though.. there is no such thing as equality. I wonder what the world would be like if we all used our genie wish on equality. it would change absolutely everything.

We all contribute in some way. We all deserve respect.

14. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I would change a lot. I would change a lot in my life that really were destructive. I have a lot of things in my life that weren't my fault but they were quite destructive. It's so painful to remember it and it made me mentally ill and I just can't mention it because it's too long but I will say that maybe everyone has these moments that have happened in their life where they wish they could just completely turn it around.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely.. and I think that is a big tie in to the other wishes mentioned above. Maybe if everyone could turn the clock back and redo something that forever changed them in a negative way, or if they could heal from those things in the now, maybe it would go a long way in fixing many societal issues we face.. when we're not focused on the negatives, we have a clearer mind for the positives.