What would you set your thermostat to?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by kalasin • Aug 26, 2012.

1. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    If you were leaving for an extended vacation, what's the best way to figure out what to set your thermostat to so that you are not paying a massive electric bill when you're not even there? Turning electricity off is not an option; we're also uncomfortable with turning the A/C to off as it's around 115 here daily.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't have pets in the house I wouldn't run the AC at all. It's just wasting money, but if there are cats and dogs I would run it at the normal temperature that you feel is comfortable. I leave mine to about 80 degrees because I don't want it to run all day.

3. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Years ago I kept the thermostat at 60. Boy have I changed that. I keep it at 69. With fuel costs and fuel conservation today, it makes perfect sense. Sometimes I will even turn it to 70, when the humidity is low, but it never goes below 69.

4. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably put it around 80-85 degrees. I did this before when I left because I have cats in the house and some plants, it seemed to be a good temperature. It also didn't take long to cool back down to about 75 when I got back. I wish my thermostat had a timer, that would have been better.

5. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with the above poster. Don't turn it on unless you have pets or meltables in the house. If you have either, I would set it to 82. My is set daily to 78 and that's with us being home and wanting to be comfortable. We also have a cat and a dog. Being gone and running the AC is truly wasteful.

6. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    I would love to turn it off, but we're going to be gone for 6+ months and I keep hearing that my house will mold or rot. We're giving 88 a try.

7. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I would still keep it on just so it doesn't become all hot and sticky in there when you get back and can't breathe from the dust. I will put it really high though, like 90 or 95 so that it runs the least amount possible.

8. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I would set it at around 78-80 degrees. It's not that hot here but when we left on vacation we set ours at 78.

9. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I don't ever leaving my AC on when I leave the house. I feel it's not necessary and a waste of money. Maybe you guys can get someone to keep your house up while your gone.