What You Think Is The Biggest Risk Of Online Shopping?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by moondebi • Nov 10, 2016.

1. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Now that my apprehension for online shopping is over (courtesy to all exhilarating deals!), I’m pretty regular a customer of the e-stores. But there has always been a concern, and that is the fear of the theft of my credit card or bank information. Though the platforms claim that online shopping is a secure process where personal information is not retrieved, but who knows! Digital footprints are indelible, thus the concern persists.

Is there any such factor which keeps you off?

2. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    The biggest risk for me based on my experience would be: Not being able to see if the product is authentic or not. I've purchased this exercise equipment before and it was on a 79% sale from a well known store in our country. When I have received it, I checked the serial number immediately online and it stated there that I has already been used, so I returned it to the seller to get one back but I got shocked to see that I got a different product but it has the same serial number with the first one. Most products can be easily copied nowadays, so for me, it's still good to buy goods like these in malls just to be sure.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Like @biege@biege says, I'm also wary about if what I'm buying is the genuine article or not and especially when on some sites they are offering you a massive saving from what you would pay on the high street. There are other issues maybe as well like being sent the wrong sized item or the risk you take when paying regarding your details, but those issues can be fixed whereas if you buy an item that isn't genuine then there isn't a great deal that you can do.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    As far as credit card use is concern on online shopping, you are correct that your basic personal info would be hacked, worse is your password. In so doing, your money would likely be withdrawn clandestinely. Who knows that as what you said "digital footprints" of you credit card is hacked and it could be used in withdrawing your money in the bank.

5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    It is true that the whole Internet is a murky place to be in. Anything that can be accessed can be hacked too. Hackers could intrude into top military intelligence servers so things like stealing credit or debit card information would be a child's play for them. As OP has rightly pointed out the worst thing that can happen in online shopping is losing important information of your financial transactions through credit/debit card or online banking.

But only thing we can do is to stay alert and always ensure that the site meets stringent security guidelines. Small steps like looking for a padlock sign in the address bar, https instead of http to make it more secure can help us to some extent.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @beige, Which store did you shop from? Is it Lazada?

As for the main topic, I think Paypal is pretty secure. You can shop without divulging your credit card number, and it has a dispute feature as well. After being scammed by using money transfer services, I now avoid using them like the plague.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you shop regularly with an online store, the only risk that you take is the confusion on the product. If the picture and description are not that clear then you may buy an item that does not fit your liking (like what happened when I bought a lady's purse). For first time shopping in a new site, you are exposing yourself to a greater risk so the advice is to make searches on the review of such online stores. Don't forget that there are scammers amidst us.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that it will never not be the risk of having your personal information out there. It seems that no matter what is done in terms of privacy and security, there is still that inherent risk that comes along with online shopping.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I too am afraid all my information will be shown somehow and someone stealing all my earnings. I hope that never happens or no one will ever want to shop online ever again. The convenience of online shopping will be over.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    There is a risk of identity theft offline as well. I'm pretty sure that was the case with a bank card we had, so either way, you just have to try to be careful.

I think the biggest issue for me (after avoiding high shipping costs) is worrying about whether or not the product will be as advertised. I try to check the return policies, and I of course prefer those that have free shipping on returns as well. Not only do I want to avoid the extra charges, but offering this says to me that they are confident in the quality of their items.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    One of my biggest fear banking online is theft of banking information, credit card . I tend to be a very sceptical of many of the online shopping sites. I like go for reviews from independent sites to know more about such a shopping site before deciding.

12. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I believe the biggest risk is not getting what you bought or getting something different. You can never know for sure if you're receiving the right item until it shows up at your doorstep.. if it shows up at all anyway. That's the biggest risk for me at least because I've been a victim of it.

13. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    For me is Identity fraud - a wide range of wrongdoing in which somebody wrongfully gets and utilizes someone else's close to home information as a part of some way that includes misrepresentation or double dealing, commonly for financial pick up. For instance, in the event that somebody takes your platinum card number, your whole financial records is uncovered. Inside minutes, personality criminals can deplete your record and set you back monetarily for a considerable length of time.

14. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    My biggest fear is that my product will be damaged while it is gong through the postal service and I will have to deal with returns, I generally us gift cards for purchases online, so I am not to worried about theft of information.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing to worry about is if my products will get to me intact and fresh when buying food. When buying clothes, the only fear is receiving the wrong sizes. I only purchase from websites that have major stores near me so that I can complain at the store.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My biggest concern is poor customer service is there is a problem. Theoretically it should be simple, but companies with bad or poor customer service is a nightmare as you end up spending time trying to resolve things such as missing packages, damaged goods, or trying to get a refund.

With a store you get it done on the spot, and while some companies are excellent there are many that drag their feet. I am having an issue with another company and the still haven't responded to my email after 3 days!

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    One biggest risk in online shopping is using your card on the wrong site. I understand people do purposely set up fake sites to act as if they are online shopping stores. It will be a very big mistake or risk to have your banking information given to such sites thinking they were real.

18. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    Okay there are a few big risks of shopping online.
    1) You can't see if the item is good or not.
    Basically, you can only see pictures of it, you can't touch it or test it out. This is a big problem for shopping for clothes, because you don't know if they fit you or not, so I tend to buy clothes in stores.
    2) You can get scammed at sites like eBay
    I know there is protection, but that protection doesn't always help you. Be aware who the buyer is, and always buy from trusted buyers, especially if you are buying something expensive.
    3) Your credit card can be hacked
    Well not hacked in the usual way, but if you use it on a website that looks trustworthy but isn't, they can get your credit card information and use it for their own purpose.

Be very careful when buying online!

19. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with @biege@biege and @pwarbi@pwarbi.

I've experience getting a fake item, well not fake though but a false advertised item from a reliable and popular online shop and I was really disappointed. I ordered a make up organizer and I've seen a lot of the same item in different online stores but are all expensive, but that one seller sells it for like half of it's price, so I grab the deal since it's a limited offer. I was reluctant at first but after contacting the seller and confirming that the product being sold is the same as the item being advertised, or as seen in the picture, I decided to buy it.

I received it after a few days and I am really pleased since the shipment was fast, but that didn't last when I opened the package and saw that it isn't the one that I have ordered. Yes it is a make up organizer but a bit smaller and it has a different design, plus it's a bit dirty :( I should've complained but I didn't since I only got it at a cheaper price so I guess I've got what my money's worth. At least I have learned my lesson though :)

20. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail These days more than ever we have to be careful what we are buying, and while I'm sure not all sellers are out to take advantage, unfortunately there are a few that are. I've noticed that you have to read the product description time and time again, just to be sure that what they're offering is legitimate and exactly what you want.

I've noticed that when it comes to games consoles especially, there are a lot of sellers advertising just the boxes and if you're not careful you end up thinking you are getting a good deal only to find out that you've bought an empty box.

#20Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2016