What's a Good Tip-Percentage?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Apr 1, 2014.

?

What Percentage of Your Bill Do You Personally Pledge to Give Service-Employees (unless Mr. Obama Ma

1. 5%

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 10%

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. 20%

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 25%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 33.333%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 40%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 66.667%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 75%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. (obviously just filling-out 'all 10 options') 100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Are waiters & waitresses etc. paid at least minimum wage? It has been that they NEEDED 'tips' (extra payments given by free-will judgment appreciation of the customer) to manage to maintain an above-average lifestyle.

That's another thing Obama's 'minimum-wage hike' would steal from minimum-wage workers: if they are lucky enough to keep their jobs, they won't be able to maintain the lifestyle because--although they will be paid higher wages--prices will make their higher wages 'the same low value as before' (more money, but it'll buy the same amount) but the customers will feel like the servers 'don't need tips anymore' :eek:

So--unless the wage-hike makes customer-contribution meaningless--I think that customers should give a regular percentage. I-personally am a poor-poor boy :( so I can only give about 5% to 10% (which usually translates "keep the change" :cool: )

But how much do you average-to-high income-earners think is a fair tip?

2. ttchoubs

ttchoubsNew Member

Threads:
    They do get paid minimum, sort of. What happens is if they don't make what they should have made working minimum wage with tips, the manager has to make up the difference so they are at least getting paid minimum. I don't mind tipping if the service was great, but I don't feel obligated to tip, especially considering that ther are so many other workers that don't receive tips (such as as fast food places).

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    (to the second replyer on the poll) So it's "20%-or-Nothing"? I know, I shoulda put a '0%' up there; I 'allowed' multiple answers so that you can put a 'bad service'-tip & a 'good service'-tip (a tip for 'bad' service? you ask. ... yes, bad service is better than none at all!)

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's common practice in restaurants to give 10%, but I don't to that all the time, sometimes it depends whether I live the service or not. On taxis it also depends, most times I round up and ask for a round figure change, also depending if the guy was nice or not.