What's a money saving tip for reducing how much you pay for lunch at work?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Jun 9, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Admittedly, at times, I spend way-y-y too much money for food at work. My current job uses a vendor that offers a range of food from sandwiches to candy for a hefty price. The only way I have found to fight my natural urge to patronize them is by bringing as much goodies as I can from home. This week, I made a big pot of pasta for the first few days of lunch as well as a few canned drinks.

How do you save money on lunch for work?

journalists-like-vending-machines1.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Either you bring your own meal or you bring your own water. And yes, bring goodies from your home to accent whatever it is that you are going to buy for your lunch, if you really couldn't just not buy anything. And if you don't have time to prepare for your lunch, find a cheap meal in which you will really be full eating it. That's what I do. I don't go for the quite costly foods. I am always considering the price, but without sacrificing the pleasure I get from delicious foods. But if you can take eating a bland foods, or mediocre one, then you're really going to be able to save a lot as in some cases, cheap foods are not that tasty.

3. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I just do the same thing basically, I just cook my lunch at home and bring it to work. That way I can save a few dollars and all I have to buy is something to drink. Also, cooking your lunch at home gives you that sense of security that the meal your eating isn't just something that came out of the microwave from yesterday and you can be sure that the taste suites your tounge.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    When we used to live far from my husband's office, he used to spend quite a large amount of money per month for his lunch but since we moved closer, he walks back home every single day for lunch even though it takes him 20 minutes per way. But we get to save quite a lot from that which is really good.

If he happens to have a meeting that day then I'd wake up earlier and prepare him something like a fried rice or sandwiches to take to work so he don't need to spend money for lunch.

5. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    The only way to say is bringing your own food pretty much. I work on an open air mall, and all the stores are privately owned and offer a small discount (such as 10% off or drinks for a dollar) to anyone who works on the mall. Almost every one knows everyone, because it's a very small mall (only 3 blocks long) and we're a smallish town. You could see if places offer any "work in the local area" discounts at food places near by; most places don't advertise this, because of to many shoobies (sorry tourists) trying to fake their way into getting a discount. But yeah, your best bet is to bring food from home.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can't take your lunch to the work place, a great way to save money is to buy your food as staff. Together. You can negotiate for group discounts and have the food delivered to the office. It can be real convenient.

7. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I definitely bring my own food. Nothing tastes better than the stuff you make yourself. It can be healthier too. I make my own bread, my own burgers, my own tomato soup with mild veggies and I can just take a water bottle and put a tea bag in it for flavor and I'm set. No chemical junk and tons of energy! :)

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I agree the best way to save money at work on Lunch is to not buy any and leave your money at home. I only take what I need to work to avoid spending money on thing I neither want or need. And finally as everyone has mentioned make your own lunch everyday. Also see if there any subsidised lunch options.