What's Better for Losing Weight, Cycling or Jogging?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Nicole87 • Mar 23, 2014.

1. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    The Spring has arrived, and the Summer is not far from now. Now, is the perfect time to start exercise more in order to lose those extra pounds gained in the Winter.

The problem is, though, that I find it hard to chose between cycling and jogging. What is better cycling or jogging? What do you guys think?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It depends on 2 things really:

Which one gets your heartrate higher and for longer (jogging, for example, isn't going to get it as high as running would....but a slow bike ride isn't going to have it up very high either)
    Which one you prefer

The latter actually IS important because you're more likely to skip workouts or not work as hard at an activity that you hate. If you prefer biking, for example, then you might find that you stay out for a longer bike ride than you would've had you gone out jogging/running.

3. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I like riding a stationary bike because it allows me to easily do interval training. In other words, I can take it easy for one minute then go as fast as I can for another minute, ect.

4. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I think it depends upon you which you like and want to work with i don't see any difference in it. The point is to lose weight it doesn't matter which you choose if you think you are getting ore benefit from cycling then do cycling or vice versa!!:)

5. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    Basically what Jessi said....Which ever one you feel that can really give you the best strenuous exercise without harming your joints should be your number one option. Some people find cycling to be better because many of the injuries to the leg caused during exercising is usually from running due to improper form or wrong shoes. Cycling is a bit harder to get injured during its use.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I fall into this boat where I don't have the greatest of knees. I still run on occassion, but it usually puts my knees don't allow me to do so more than once every few days.

Probably in the last month, I've adapted to stationary bike and elliptical training to take the stress of my knees. It's been a great change as my workouts have been much more intense, yet I can still workout the next day. It's all about finding what's best for your body and adapting a workout plan around that.

7. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Jogging will likely get the heart rate up higher and more consistently. Cycling will likely offer up a less intense but longer calorie burn. If you have hills in your area, cycling up them is great cardio. If you have less time available i would recommend jogging as a 20 to 30 minute jog will elevate the heart rate and keep the metabolism up afterwards. If you have more time available, cycling is a better option because it is a little more enjoyable as you can go further, visit a destination and return home. If you have any knee issues - go with the cycling.

In Vancouver, the cardio option is a trail called the Grouse Grind - 2.9kms of stairs up the side of a mountain - more intense than cycling or jogging. Perfect length for excellent cardio without diminishing you for the rest of the day.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Just combine the two I do not see if they are hard to do them both. You can as well as visit the gym and do a whole other exercises that will keep your body in shape. They two are not enough to lose weight effectively, you will also need to change your eating habits.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would say cycling as it can be a more moderate exercise, and you are less likely to give up due to exhaustion. I suppose at the end of the day it's the calories that matter, but I think someone is more likely to manage 500 calories cycling than 500 calories jogging. I can only jog about 1 mile, but I can cycle 5 or more, so cycling would be better for me at least.

10. youngnova

youngnovaNew Member

Threads:
    It just depends on your preference. For me , I prefer to ride a bike instead of jogging. Being on a bike and being able to go as fast as I want, especially going down hill, really gets my heart rate up.

I have a aunt who prefers jogging and power walking over cycling, so it just depends on the person. I think you should try both out and see which one you're more comfortable with and go from there. The most important thing is that you are actually exercising to begin with and you should be proud of yourself cause most people don't take the time to do either, so I hope you achieve your goals and best of luck to you.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Your preference in what you want to do is what matters most here. Both, cycling and jogging, can get you to where you want to be. One make take a little more time than the other but who's to say you're in a race for losing weight? Nothing happens over night. A steady pace with either option is what will be good. Good luck with your decision.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with some of the comments here, whatever is better for you and you like doing is the best option. For the workout to be consistent, you need to enjoy doing it. For me for example, I like running, it gives me a thrill and excitement. I don't like cycling because I think it's uncomfortable (my butt hurts after a few minutes on the seat). So I wouldn't choose cycling as my main exercise because I would loose motivation really fast and stop!

13. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    I think over the same period of time, jogging burns more calories so if you care about efficiency, I'd go with jogging. That being said, jogging is slightly more taxing on your body than cycling, especially on your joints and legs. You can start out with some light jogging and then increase your intensity and duration of jogging. I'd suggest you don't start out with heavy jogging since that'll put a lot of pressure on your body even if it's not sprinting.

14. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think jogging might make you lose more weight, but it will depend on the intensity of the exercise and the time spent doing it. Either cases, I think that it's always better to go for the sport we love better, that way the effort is done with pleasure and we lose the desired weight.

15. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that jogging is better for losing weight.

At least in my experience. I feel that way because jogging works the entire body. It really get's your heart rate going, and burns calories. It is also more taxing on the body. Especially your knees.

I think cycling helps more to build muscle, instead of losing weight. Cycling strengthens the muscles in your lower body. It is more about strength ,and building muscle. It doesn't burn a lot of calories.

I do both. They work well together.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would combine these two exercises (cycling and jogging)and that way you would not give up on yor goal of losing weight. They are both wonderful for losing weight and both provide a good aerobic workout also-you should eat right along with these exercises as well. The cycling exercise is a non-weight bearing one-and is good if you have a joint injury or arthritus. Jogging is great for your bones since it is a weight-bearing exercise.

17. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    @Nicole87@Nicole87 Ultimately it's best to understand that exercise is supplementary to eating right. Whether you chose cycling or jogging, you are very unlikely to outrun your fork. Having said that, I always recommend cycling to people if they have the means. The trouble with jogging is that it is horrendous on your knees, hips, and ankles. You probably won't notice it right away, but over time it does significant damage to your cartilage. Cycling is much lower impact and can be every bit as effective a work out so long as you set the resistance high enough on a stationary bike, or ride long enough out doors.

#17Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Jogging is more strenuous but biking is more enjoyable. We used to have a bike that my wife used to roam around the village during weekend mornings. That was her exercise. Since she is overweight, the doctor advised her against jogging for it may give a problem to her knees. We know of several joggers who's got an ailing knee or knees. However, after some years of using the bike, my wife had developed a bulge on her right leg. But that's another story. Biking is like a leisure that you will surely enjoy than jogging which is tedious.

19. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I feel it goes down what works for someone. Some people feel okay losing weight by cycling while others achieve that through jogging. Also, seeking medical advice on how your body system works is another way to go about this so as not to put the heart under risk which may have a negative impact on your body.

I feel okay using jogging to lose weight coupled with the fact that I don even like cycling!

20. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I prefer cycling to jogging mostly to safety reasons. In the part of the country where I live, it is dangerous for a woman to walk alone or jog alone. But if I'm on my bike, I feel safer and can get away quickly if I need to. But I think you will lose more weight quickly if you jog consistently rather than when you cycle. Jogging involves a lot more effort and puts more exertion on your whole body than cycling does. But again, this varies and depends from individual to individual.

You can try both at first and see which one works out best in the long-term.