What's the best breed of dog?

Discussion in Pets started by xcmiller93x • Apr 29, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I had a Shih Tzu for 15 years and she was the lime of my light. She was a great dog that never did any harm to anyone. The problem with Shih Tzus is that the are hard to maintain.

When it comes to other dog breeds, I must say Beagles, Basset Hounds, German Shepherds and muts are fantastic dogs. They always seem like they are laid back, quiet, smart, polite and respectful. If we decide to get a dog, it will either be one of the aforementioned or a rescue.

2. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I don't know that much about dogs but I love poodles. They just look so fluffy and cuddly. If I could afford a dog I would definitely buy a poodle. It also looks very fancy. I have noticed it requires a lot of maintenance. That is why I would view it as the best kind of breed.

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I think best depends on your personal needs, activity level, and preferences.

I currently have a poodle mix. He smells like herbal shampoo, sheds less than I do, is super smart so he was very easy to train, and has an off switch indoors so as long as he gets a couple of walks or one good run a day, he doesn't need too much exercise BUT he is big enough to keep up on a long dayhike. He also costs me $40-60 every 6 weeks for professional grooming, needs regular brushing between groomers, and needs things to stimulate him mentally as well as physically BECAUSE he's smart. He's a lot of work.

Someone may want a more active dog or a less active one. If they don't care about shedding, the lack of shedding might not be enough to balance the expensive groomer visits and time grooming. If they hate training, keeping the dog mentally stimulated may seem like a chore instead of a pleasure.

I have owned german shepherds, huskies, malamutes, corgis, wolf-mixes, and greyhounds over the course of my life. They all have good and bad things about them. That's true of all breeds.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about 'best' because I suppose this is just a personal preference thread but I have always loved Siberian Huskies. They are my everything. Look at that face:
    siberian_husky_puppy-other.

...you know I'm right. :D

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    ROTTWEILERS!!!!!!! West Highland White Terriers are really cute! no one can deny that, but there is just something special about Rottweilers- they are strong, yet meek. Aggressive enough to defend your property yet calm enough to give and take a show of love, and the best part is, they are really good looking!

6. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I have only owned one in my life, and he ended up getting hit by a car. His name was Kodiac Kane and he was a full blooded Alaskan malamute. At 9months old we couldn't find a collar to fit him. My dad had to use one of his belts as a collar. He only barked once the entire time we had him. And that was because someone was walking through our yard that wasn't supposed to be there. He was a gentle giant to me, and with my dad he played a little rougher, but never too rough. And even then he managed to catch my dad off guard because he was just too smart. I would give anything to have him back. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a dog, right now.