What's the best dandruff remedy?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Colebra • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I've had dandruff for a long time.
    Nothing too noticeable, but it makes me uncomfortable sometimes...

Do you know how this problem can be exterminated?
    Pharmacy or homemade remedys. I don't really care.

Thanks!

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I just use Head and Shoulders. I really love the mint one because it feels good and cool on the scalp. Have you tried this before?

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am quite skeptical about it, but I have read and heard from many reliable sources that apple cider vinegar is an effective scrub to the scalp to get rid of those stubborn dandruff. I have a lot of dandruff, and because I think that taking this remedy, or trying it would be really a little serious job, I am still putting it off, until probably I have gotten enough or sufficient time, to do this and prepare myself for any possible outcome.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have absolutely no experience with this, so be aware that this is just what I have been told by other people who suffer from heavy dandruff. But I have heard that coconut oil, or really any natural oil really helps with dandruff. I am a fan of dandruff to be honest, as it helps my hair to grow. But many of the people who surround me use coconut oil and say that it does a wonderful job for them. Perhaps you should do some research into it.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You won't like this but it's effective. Someone I know had serious issues with dandruffs. He tried lots of stuff including natural remedies but they didn't help much. The one day, someone told him to try something else — olive oil.
    I suppose just any kind of oil can help but you'll need to keep applying the oil because the moment you stop . . .

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oils will work for some and not for others. Or sometimes people can't stand the hassle of oils. Apple Cider Vinegar is great, I've used it often and never had issues. And no, it doesn't stink once it dries. Again though, it won't work for everyone. If you want to try it though, just rinse your hair with it after shampooing. I like to soak my hair in it after washing, wrap my head in a towel and let it sit for a while. Then rinse. My scalp and hair is amazing after that. I wouldn't suggest head and shoulders though, unless you're willing to risk the hair loss thing..

Trial and error.. we all have different skin, so try everything until something works. Just make sure to give it a few tries before giving up.

7. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    When I used to work in a salon doing hair, plenty of people would come to me asking about how to solve their dandruff problem. Sometimes, dandruff itself is the issue and other times it's the methods used when washing as well as other factors. Some of my clients with dandruff didn't use hair conditioner (mostly men), I told them to begin using it and the dandruff went away. The scalp is like any other skin on your body, it needs to be moisturized to keep from getting dry and flaky. Others simply didn't want to wash their hair for days at a time. This in itself was letting a natural amount of dead skin build up in their hair, I told them to begin washing their hair daily and it was magically gone. Others admitted to washing their hair wrong (usually kids), scratching their scalp instead of using a massaging motion when shampooing. There are plenty of factors in why dandruff could be occurring and you have to cater to each situation with it's own unique solution. If you do feel that you are doing all of the above correctly and you still have very bad dandruff, consider switching to a softer bristle brush, use an extra moisturizing conditioner (or coconut oil in it's place for extra moisture) and a dandruff shampoo with tar to help lift the dandruff out of the hair and off of the scalp.