What's the best DIY mom gift?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by liquidfuzzy • Sep 16, 2012.

1. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    What's the best gift you've made for your mom, or the gift that got the best reaction? When I was a teenager I made my mom a poem, typed it up, printed it out, glued some pressed flowers to it, framed it, and Viola! She cried. Success!;)

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I made my mom a shirt with me and sister's picture on it. She loved it so much she wore it work that week.

3. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    A picture frame created by truly yours. :) It was such a daunting task that I thought I wouldn't be able to properly complete but it's because it's for my mom, I did my best and worked all night long. When she saw the gift, her smile was all worth it! :D

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    ^
    That's so sweet bro. Seeing your mother smile may be the best reward for your hard work. Well for me I guess the best gift I did for my mom was a hand made letter. I know it isn't much but I'm just glad that she loved it.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I had one of those bad mothers you hear about on the local news. She lost custody of all 5 of us for extended abuse and neglect. So I don't make her gifts or care if she dies in a fiery plane crash.

But my daughter has written me two notes saying she loves me and wants me to stay positive and never give up on my goals. I keep those in a frame on my desk. Those are my favorite DIY mom gifts that I've received. I love that kid.

6. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Spending quality time with my mom makes her the happiest, I think. She would rather cook with me when I come visit than have me take her out to a fancy place. The older we get, the less time I have to spend some time with her. We both get busy and we don't catch up or talk on the phone. I also live out of state, so I don't get to just poke my head in or see how she's doing. When I do something fun, I make sure to take pictures right then and there and share them via text message. It's just to let her know that I'm having a great time and that I'm thinking of her (whether it's because I want her there or I know it's something fun that she'd like seeing pictures).

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't live close to my mom and can not just drop by. When I can I will go and spend the day with her to just talk and eat and have some laughs together. It would be nice to spend more time together now that we are both getting older.

As a mom I like to give my daughters little gifts to little them know I love them and appreciate them.

8. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    I would have to go with a birdhouse or something along those lines, I made one years ago and it was very much appreciated. Make something simple but customize it to make it truly unique and special. If you are good with woodworking you can get what you need.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The best DIY gift to give to your mum is a husband! :p

Only joking ladies. :) I used to make my mum some HORRIBLE things as a kid (snail shell necklace?) and although she never displayed them she has kept them all in a box in her bedroom. :)

I did come good once when I made her a drinks cabinet in woodwork at school which took pride of place in her front room until a couple of years ago when her cats knocked it over. :)

10. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    If you can afford it, the best DIY gift for your mother would be a box of unstrung pearls. Then she can have a great time deciding what to do with them. Some people say diamond are a woman's best friend but pearls are way up front when it comes to the things you can do with it.

11. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, other then the gift of yourself, and your time, believe me that is the best gift of all here is another suggestion. Do you have a whole lot of old family photos or can you obtain them. If so then get a photo album or scrap book to put them all in to create a book full of family memories. This can be a cherished gift, as wells as some bonding time as the two of you look through the pictures talking about the memories of the past.

12. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    The diy gift that I made my mom was a picture frame that consited of collages of us and our family.
    She was so touched by it that she had tears when she was looking at the pictures. I of course attached many chcolates and flowers to the gift!

13. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I took some very old photos of her parents and digitally restored them and then composed them into a nice layout. Today it sits in a nice frame on the "mantle" (no fireplace, but it serves the same purpose).

14. beachwood

beachwoodNew Member

Threads:
    Being a professional woodworker myself my mom and wife have made out pretty good over the years. I always make them something in my shop every Mothers Day, but the best was a unique one of a kind modern designed exotic hardwood armoire' that actually won an award at a local art gallery.

#14May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
  15. crazycroc

crazycrocMember

Threads:
    Well my mom seemed to be really impressed with the framed pictures my brother got her.

16. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    Made my mom a pretty necklace, antique chains and a pendant I made by hand with clay flowers, glass beads and pearls. :) She really loved it and wears it often to work.