What's The Better Value?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by thisnthat • Dec 7, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    There is no right or wrong answer. I'm just curious and would like to hear some different opinions.

Which do you think would make a better gift?

- Boxed set (4 seasons) of a favorite TV show
    - Assortment of movie discs
    - Gift card towards purchase of streaming and/or home dvd service (like Netflix)

The people I have in mind love to watch movies and TV. I'm sure they'd be happy with any or all of the above, but I'd like them to get the most bang for the buck.

What do you think?

2. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    I think that the gift card is the best choice, because he can watch everything he likes. That would also save him money on buying movies or tv shows, because he can watch them on Netflix for the price he is paying.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That's kind of what I was thinking. They do watch movies and shows over and over again, so they'd still get good value out of any of the choices. I just think that personally, I'd enjoy the service more, since there is more to choose from. I think they would enjoy it as well. It's only temporary though, and if I buy them movies or shows on discs, they can keep those forever. They could watch them as many times as they want.

I suppose they can still watch something several times before returning it for something new. Thanks for the reply.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer the boxed set because then I'll be disappointed after my subscription ends from whatever service I'm watching my favorite shows from. If it's my favorite show, I wouldn't mind rewatching it over and over again because that's what I usually do on YouTube. I watch the same great video again every day. I get to keep the boxed set too.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    A gift card would be a great idea if they are into using it otherwise any two of the other optiins also sound good.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if I were to select, practically any of those three choices could prove better as far as the recipient of the gift is concerned. But when the budget is concerned, that is another matter. Since Netflix could provide the best movies so far, I would recommend to be the appropriate gift for anyone as long as they have their own Internet connection.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to get the boxed option. That would mean I would be able to watch four seasons of my favorite show as many times as I'd want. Not worrying about whether I have internet connection or my gift card credit will end. For me endless watching is the best choice.

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    You guys aren't making this easy! ;)

Each of you has made a good point, so now I'm back to juggling these ideas. I get what each of you is saying, and it makes sense. What other people would like isn't always the same as what I would like, so I guess I will just have to figure out what I think is best for them and their situation.

By the way, they don't have Internet. It would be the home delivery system that Netflix offers for discs (if that makes a difference). If it was straight streaming, I'd definitely consider that to be the better value.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a boxed set is a much better gift. It means they can watch it and keep it or then sell it on if they wish. I'm not so fond of gift cards because I tend to see that as people who give because they can't think of anything.

Then there is the danger of losing the gift card or it expiring so the money is then lost. As there are so many offers for Netflix they could get that as a month trial quite cheaply. If there is no internet then I think a boxed set is a much better idea if you know what they like.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, yeah, that is true too. Thanks for bringing that up, @Theo@Theo. It is something I will definitely need to check out before making a final decision or purchase.

I hate when gift cards expire, so I'll have to make sure any of the ones I'm considering do not. I don't think that should be allowed in the first place. When they have already been paid, they should not be able to renege on what you paid for at a later date.

With that in mind, boxed set is looking better and better. This shouldn't be such a tough choice, ha ha.

11. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't really like the assortment of movie discs, unless you know all of the person's favorite movies.

The boxed set seems okay, but the gift card might be the best choice. That being said, some people don't like gift cards because they feel like there was no real thought put into the gift. Therefore, maybe a combination of both, a boxed set and a gift card? You could also throw in a couple of bags of gourmet popcorn (or plain), and some large boxes of candy (like they sell in movie theaters), to make it a total movie-themed package!

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Making a total movie package is a cute idea, @Winnie@Winnie. I have already given one of those to these particular people, another time, complete with popcorn maker, kernels, those little popcorn bowls, etc. Now, they need something to watch with all that popcorn! :)

We are having trouble finding the sets they would like, so I think the decision is being made for us. It looks like it will be a gift card for the service after all. I'll just grab a couple small items for them as well, so they have something to unwrap (I can't really afford the gift card and a boxed set, but I might grab a movie something).