Whats The Cost In Your Area For A Gym Membership?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Mockingbird • Jan 18, 2015.

1. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I like the gym I go to now I think it is probably one of the cheaper gyms I have used. I used to go to a big national chain called BAC and that was expensive. This year the gym I belong to - Fitness Fusion- is charging $89 for 6 months. Granted this is a small private owned local gym. I know when I was with BAC, which is now LA Fitness, you had to join for two years and it was $39 a month. I am just wondering what is the cost of a gym membership in other areas?

2. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    The average price of your standard gym chains is $60-$70 per month (like Gold's Gym, 24-hour Fitness, Anytime Fitness, etc. However, I realized that with college gyms, the price can be quite low even though the gym's size is bigger than those gym chains. They have a nice track where you can run in circles as well. In particular, the UC Berkeley here has a gym where you can sign up for $120 per 3 months if you have a student who refers you (it was 2 years ago and the price might go up). It is a neat system and the gym has all of the equipment that I need. Their running machines are good too. I don't know if it is true for universities in other areas as well.

3. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    The first gym I joined was about 13 years ago and was charging $50 a month. Oddly enough, gym memberships in this area now are $10, (Planet Fitness) $15, (Worlds Gym), and my old gym is down to $25 a month. It's amazing what competition will do.

I just work out at at home now just to save time and money.

4. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Around 40$ for every gym membership and that's with student discount. The prices are pretty high and the services are pretty poor. I just wish I had a big gym where I actually have space to workout and not into a redecorated apartment. Sadly, this is what my city offers.

5. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    Large gyms in my area cost $60-70, in the same ballpark as many of the other comments here. Being a student may net you 50% off. I personally don't understand how having access to a gym is that worth it, especially considering that you can get a good workout without the equipment they offer. That, and gyms often make it a huge pain to cancel memberships.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Although I am not a advocate of being a member or going to public gyms, the places around my area go from $10 a month to $100+ for premium places. I honestly think doing simple workout plan to habituate yourself first while saving up for gym equipment works as effectively as going to a public gym. I've seen many steal-deals on Craigslist and elsewhere on the internet which had people selling good equipment for tenth the retail prices or sometimes even free! I think most people who go to the gym that have money to buy their own equipment do so because they require other such an environment to motivate them, or it's a ego thing.

7. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    The gym I used to go to had a fee of $25 bucks for a month, and it was a pretty luxurious gym. I was happy with that price, as it even had a diet expert and personal trainers.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gym membership cost varies from place to place, niche to niche. Some gyms cater to the working class so they charge as low as $12 a month. I think there are no personal trainers for these kinds of gym, just plain use of the facility according to your pace. More high-end gyms can cost around $50 and above. These gyms are usually found in hotels and malls with a number of VIP members.

9. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    My gym is Planet Fitness and it is $10 a month. It is an excellent gym, there are plenty of machines and it is very clean. It's hard to believe they only charge $10 a month. I do think one thing they probably have going for them is people probably stay joined indefinitely, whether they go or not. I know I haven't been in quite a while but I wouldn't consider leaving them because the price is so low.

10. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    I just use my university gym because there's no fee for it, even though it can get quite filled up during peak times, and you have to scramble to find a decent amount of workout space. However a new gym did open near my apartment recently, but it's pretty dang expensive, I think it's about $600 for 6 months or something like that. It's really big and open 24/7, so I guess that's why they're charging a premium, but I doubt I'll be signing up for it anytime soon.