What's The Difference Between "ice Cream" & "frozen Dairy Dessert"?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mythman • Jan 20, 2015.

?

Which would you rather eat?

1. Ice Cream

2. Frozen Dairy-Dessert

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    In

, new member

mentioned that some 'ice-cream's had to change their labelling into "frozen dairy dessert."

What's the difference? Is one better than the other? Why?

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I am not an expert, so don't quote me, but generic labeling such as "frozen dairy dessert" generally means anything goes. By that I mean that some or all of the traditional, natural ingredients you would expect to find in ice cream have been replaced with something else.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Like ChanellG, said, anything goes with frozen dairy dessert; but, specifically, I think they have to call it that when they cut out half the fat. When they do that it's not really ice "cream" anymore.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:

does this and it gets confusing because the packaging looks the same. What I believe I read pertaining to their brand is the dairy content. Like other posters said, they can use whatever to make it appear as ice cream (like food starches), however, the taste is different. The bad thing is that the prices for Breyers frozen dessert and ice cream are usually the same

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Basically, they can't call it "ice cream" as it doesn't actually contain any cream. Goods labelled as "frozen dairy desserts" are usually made with a cheaper cream substitute. Referring to them as "ice cream" would be a misappropriation.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    As others have pointed out, it’s when the cream is replaced with other ingredients to mimic the effect of ice cream. Personally, if I want to indulge, I’d rather go for the real thing, even if it’s pricier. I really shouldn’t do it too often anyway as I’m not the greatest with dairy, so I figure this method is okay for me.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I did some research, and I saw why it's easy to forget the difference: because "cream" is a dairy-product (the 'fat' of the milk). But the milk that they put into 'frozen dairy-desserts' have most of the 'fat' processed-out. I don't know if their substitute is more-healthy or more-tasty or both or neither!

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dairy is dairy is dairy is dairy.. ask a cow and her babies if there is a difference lol. From a health stand point, no difference.