What's the most/least your pay for a book (online)?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Terri • Aug 10, 2012.

1. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    Anyone know of any websites that offer deals on books? Also, what is the most you'd pay for a book (online) and what is the cheapest?

Me, the most I've ever paid was $17.00 for a book online. The cheapest I've paid is .99 cents.

P.S. here's a website, Fatwallet, that has a few deals on books --->

Mmhm... *nods*

2. YoungNThrifty

YoungNThriftyNew Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the book. I buy everything from classical literature to thick academic works. A lot of the books that get published by universities have had years and years of research go into them so I think it's justifiable that some of those books are sold at higher prices. Then of course you have to take into consideration whether the book that you are buying is in a hard-cover or paperback edition. If I'm, for example, buying a paperback copy of Moby Dick, I wouldn't pay more than $10. The highest I'd pay for any book, though, would probably be about $20. If I'm paying any more than that, odds are I'm spending enough money to buy two other books. I think that's the price limit that makes sense.

3. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    Sounds reasonable. I will admit, in some cases online you can get free shipping if your purchase is over $20... others, not so much the case. When it comes to the prices of shipping (when dealing with the internet), would you still buy a book for $20 and then be willing to pay the extra $5 dollars or so for the shipping? I know that only comes up to $25 bucks, but I've spoken to some people who say they don't like getting books online, because they don't like paying for the shipping.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of purchasing a Kindle because of that feature where you can download thousands and thousands of classics. But if I had to buy an ebook at most I'd spend is $5. Anything more is just a rip-off and doesn't make any sense to pay more.

5. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    I have a Kindle and most of the books I get, including many new ones, are free. They often offer new authors' books for a short time for free before listing at a higher price. I think the most I've paid was around $8. I agree there's no reason for eBooks to be priced anywhere near the double digits.

It's also possible to borrow them through booklending.com. It's set up by Amazon so you don't have to worry that you've lent a book to a complete stranger and won't get it back. I read the entire Hunger Games trilogy for free.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    The most expensive book that I bought online was for $99. The most expensive book that I bought here in the local bookstore is about $199. I just bought it one week ago. It is a textbook in surgery that I really needed so I really have to buy it. I can't find decent offers online so I decided to opt to buy it in the bookstore.

7. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I try and find the books I want to read at the local library. Then my next option is checking amazon and ebay, because a few books are available with free postage. Occasionally, there are rarer titles that are hard to come by, in which case, the maximum I've spent online is around $35. This, of course, I'm referring only to leisure reading books, not academic ones.

8. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I love book lending through Amazon. I think that's a great idea. There is a membership fee that Kindle owners have access to, and I love that thru this feature, authors are able to make some money off of their work. I think this incorporates the online benefits with the aesthetic benefits of library lending. Not only does it get the word out faster, because people will share a book and receive a book quicker if it's a free read, but it also makes sure that the author's work is supported so that they can write another book. Mmhm.... *nods*

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Back in the day, I stupidly purchased a book for $47 through Clickbank I think it was. It was supposed to give all this information on how to earn online, actually it helped me start earning online...and it in effect paid for itself. The cheapest book I purchased through the internet was $1.00.

Some of the best I read were actually free downloads, so price does not often dictate what you will get online.

10. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon has some good book prices. If I really want a book then I do not cap the price that I will pay. But I do wait until it has been out for a while before I buy it. I used to find many of the books that I liked in the book clubs, five for $1.00 situation, with membership. Then I stopped.

11. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I've paid as high as $45.00 for ebook containing learning information about my online marketing niche. It was worth the money. If a book comes highly recommended by other successful internet marketers, then I will pay for them regardless of cost. If you are talking about books that I just enjoy reading, I still buy the hard copies. I still prefer this to staring at an electronic screen. I have never purchased a book to read at leisure in ebook form.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    The most expensive book I ever bought online was for a college course and cost me around $140. I think I sold it back for $18 at the end of the year too. When it comes to fiction, I have no problem spending around $25 to support a writer I love. It takes a long time to write a book. I think it's a bargain for something that took someone a year to make, when we all spend $4 for a coffee drink that takes less than 5 minutes to make and drink.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have spent upwards of 100 bucks on books, even online. It would've been for college textbooks and I couldn't get them any cheaper in time. They would've been a lot more in a store, though, so it was still savings.

The cheapest would be $.75 + shipping on half.com. That's the lowest price they allow.

14. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I never, ever pay more than $10 for any book. I'll hang on until the book has been out for a while, when sites like Amazon and book stores put books on special offer just to reduce their stocks. The least I've ever paid was 99 cents, again from Amazon, for a book I wanted that was out of print. I had to pay shipping costs, but it was well worth it, as I couldn't get the book anywhere else, and it was in excellent condition.

15. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    The most expensive book I have bought from online was for $50 from amazon. It was a C++ primer book. I think that was going to be the last expensive book that I would buy on the internet, but it is best to just go to a local library where everything is free to rent.

16. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    If you're looking for good deals on titles new and old, BookDepository really has one of the widest range of books of numerous genres. Even if they run out of stock, they will refer you to other online stores with stock especially for titles published a long time back. The most I've ever spent was about $40 bucks and the least was $18.50. I find that sometimes, buying online helps you to save a lot more money than going into physical stores. But nonetheless, I still love browsing in bookstores and indulging in my love of books!

17. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to let the dollar amount affect my decision to buy if I really really want a certain book! However, if I am just looking for something to read and I don't know the author but like the write up I rarely pay more than $5.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most I ever paid for a book was $35 for a beautiful hardcover book with color prints of the work of one of my favorite artists. I treasure that book very much, and it has a special place in my heart, and on my book shelf. :)
    As for e-books, I hardly ever pay more than a few dollars. There are several good sites that offer a big variety of books on the topics that interest me, absolutely for free.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you aren't a picky reader [I'm making the assumption that the books aren't for educational purposes] then I don't think you should spend a cent buying ebooks. There are more than 10 sites where you can download free ebooks legally. Ever since I learned of their existence I don't buy ebooks.

20. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Aside from textbooks the most I've spent on a book is probably $25 for a brand new hardback. I don't really have a limit but I very rarely will buy a book for full price. Amazon usuall has discounted book prices and even cheaper used books. Bookoutlet.com is also a great place to find cheap books!